T Nation

Bodybuilding: Triceps!

You know, the ‘other’ part of your arm that you never flex because everyone wants you to bust out a front-double-bi pose.

Personally, my training has taken a turn for the much better after I made triceps a priority.

I know our resident “Patron Saint of Triceps”, St. Cephalic_Carnage, has had tons of posts about triceps and various exercise. Hopefully, we can compile a comprehensive thread of triceps info, links, vids, etc.

I know there’s a bunch of good info around the site, but I’m tired of looking all over the place for ‘that one thing [N] typed about’.

Discuss triceps training, asthetics, importance, injury prevention, etc.

To quote Big Nasty Ron: “Let’s do 'dis!”

No doubt a great thread by MODOK in the T-Cell Alpha:

Alpha Cell Roundtable #2- G-U-N-S

The “PJR Pullover”

C_C has described these in many places. Here is vid.

Somewhere he said these are one of the only thing that gives him DOMS. Truth.

C_C, commentary?

“The Power Pushdown”

I know, I know, this guy is just a tiny, weak little thing, but he puts on a damn good show…

From the “DieselCrew” – Tate and JM Presses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQaG_hpcz0

These are PROFESSIONALS – DO NOT TRY THESE EXERCISES AT HOME!!! —

Unless you want to get frikken hyyoooooooogggeeee

From one of the few people in the world to have an exercise named for him.

From resident X-Man and all 'round big guy:

For triceps, I suually do triceps pressdowns, dips using the HS machine, kickbacks, and single arm pressdowns with the cable. That Cybex machine is good as well if you workout at a gym that has one.

PX-- this was from ‘your’ thread from like 4-5 years ago. Any updates?

This lil’ guy doing some triceps work:

niiiice thread D

Branch on machine triceps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSETiAV1zCM

Kai Greene and Victor Martinez doing some hellish arm workouts.

There are like 10 or so parts to this series. Triceps are the first half.

I’m not going to post all of them out of respect to Biotest because of the cumulative advertising. (On that note, I think its great that Biotest/TNation allows us to post YouTube vids that are informative even though they are not the sponsors. Please do not direct link to competitors’ sites.)

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
“The Power Pushdown”
[/quote]
I’ve been doing these for a few weeks and I like how it pumps up the inner part of my triceps. I was wondering if anyone’s noticed any kind of difference depending on which side of your head the cable passes by.

Another Tate Tricep vid:

Thanks for starting this thread! I just decided I need more mass on my triceps (and everywhere else).

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
“The Power Pushdown”

I know, I know, this guy is just a tiny, weak little thing, but he puts on a damn good show…

[/quote]

That dude behind him. Before he starts doing pullups you can see his face and he looks like a fucktard.

Lol what a loser.

Good thread, for me I need to be careful with extension movements PJRs (thanks to the DC boys) and behind the head extensions are fine.

Smith Wide reverse grip presses are a great move, will have to post a vid later as at work.

Pushdowns, machine extension, close grip benching and weighed tricep dips are staples of my tricep training.

Trying to work harder on the lazy (lateral) head at the moment. Anyone else?

[quote]knee-gro wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
“The Power Pushdown”

[/quote]

That dude behind him. Before he starts doing pullups you can see his face and he looks like a fucktard.

Lol what a loser.
[/quote]

Hmnnn You know, I see a lot of guys doing that at the gym, with obviously no intention of powerlifting, just trying to move too much weight to impress their buddies. I have done it myself a few times trying to really just power some weight, but to be honest, I always end up thinking “why don’t I just do some close grip benches, if I’m feeling this in my tris and chest anyway?”. I’m sure it will fit in somewhere, even if BBing is the goal, I just hope people realize where (I like the guy’s comments about what people on youtube will say -lol).

I’m thinking that this would probably be good as a finishing exercise, to just toast whatever’s left (I like to do standing push presses at the END of my shoulder session for a similar approach).

S

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
“The Power Pushdown”

[/quote]

this guy is just a fat ass and those elbow sleeves do all the work…

anyway…here’s another one of my favorite tricep builders- elbows out extensions, with my own twist on it.

i do these with really heavy weight and resetup after every rep. as you can see from the vid i start with them on a low incline bench, palms facing out and elbows forced back towards your ears(this is key). try not to let them drift in as you perform the extension. now, i do them more as an explosive movement where i explode off the chest and stop short of locking the elbows.

this keeps the stress mainly on the triceps. another key point is to keep the bottom head of the dumbell touching at all times. don’t let them come apart at the top…doing so transfer a great deal of the stress to the pecks. it really hits the inner head of the triceps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9S1UDUToc

here’s another… rolling dumbell extensions. in this vid, i’m doing them on the floor.

these are done with a neutral grip. you lower to behind the ear and then allow the dumbell to “roll” back so that the head of the dumbell farthest from you touches the floor and the extend up until the arms are straight. i like to do them fairly explosively with moderate to heavy weight.

the neutral grip is easier on the wrists and foreams than a regular skull crusher with a bar and the lower to the ears and then adding in the roll adds some momentum for a forceful contraction during the extension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sa89sWa9Cc