Bodybuilding Training - Waist Ratio

Hey everyone…I been training primarily for strength the whole time I’ve lifted weights, and train muay thai.
Butttt I’m gonna change things up a bit…of course I’m going to stick with muay thai but I decided I’m gonna get bigger and bulk up to around 225 or so. At 5’9 this should make me look pretty stocky.

I was wondering though what are some of these bodybuilders waist sizes?
I’m really shooting for that appearence of a small waist with big shoulders and such to give a nice V. I had it when I was around 180lbs…you can check in my profile pics and see.

But I feel as I’ve gotten heavier bein 202-207 at 5’9…I don’t know how much bigger my waist has gotten but I definaetly don’t have that same look as before…and although I will take the strength I’ve gained…it’d be cool to really look like more of a bodybuilder, so I want to switch the training up for it.
Of course I’m going to transition to this after I hit my 405 bench which is due in about 8 weeks. So after that I’m starting my bulk and hope to have increased strength in addition with the 20+ lbs. I will put on.
Thanks.

I feel that waist size is mostly genetic. It won’t change much unless you pack on a ton of muscle or a bunch of fat. Generally though, when lean your waist shouldn’t be much different than it was before.

Dont squat or deadlift. Theyll make your wasit all thick and gross. The other muay thai fighters wont like you either cus theyll have a hard time getting their arms around your body.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Dont squat or deadlift. Theyll make your wasit all thick and gross. The other muay thai fighters wont like you either cus theyll have a hard time getting their arms around your body. [/quote]

lmao.

lol smartass

But seriously. Speaking from my own personal experience (I know some people feel differently). I have a pretty small waist and have maintained it and kept it the same size with my few years of lifting. I’ve added about 300lbs in 2 years to my dead and my waist hasn’t gotten any thicker/wider. Like I said, I think its genetic.

I’m about 5’9, and I normally weigh about 205 lbs. I buy 34" waist jeans, and cinch them with a belt (I could probably get away with 33", but I figure most clothing shrinks over time). I never thought I had a wide waist, and certainly did my share of heavy deads and squats. It’s only now that I’m dieted down for a BBing show, that I wonder if the power-esque approach to training that I heavily employed contributed to my thicker obliques, or if it is just a genetic thing. I will say that looking at my latest progress pics, I truly do not like my front double bicep shot, because even though I think I’m close to running out of fat to lose, my waist is not tight and compact, and that even if it is indeed 100% muscle, it does still look blocky. Of course if you’re not even training for aesthetics, it really shouldn’t be an issue.

S

Looking at Brian Buchanan pictures made me never work my obliques. That should help.

In my opinion, the only thing that will make your waist look blocky is obliques and not enough width.

Thus, more width and no oblique training.

My approach has always been stength directed. I have been a competitive powerlifter for many years(although I generally do a great deal more cardio & volume than most PL’s).
When I weighed 160 @ 10% BF I wore 32-34.
Today I weigh 215 @ 10% and wear ‘relaxed’ 34 to get over my thighs; but I have plenty of shorts that are 32/33.

I do a ton of core work including obliques; what I don’t do is follow the typical progressions(add weight or reps) with my core work…I change the exercise order or selection from time to time.

Yeah my waist is about 35 inches right now. Never ever been this big though. But I have added quite a bit to my squat etc. But I still got a tight look…it’s very weird. If you look at my pics in my profile when I was 16 approaching 17. My waist is small and I have a good aesthetic look. I still have a good look, but blocky waist. I’m not all about training for aesthetics. But if you train this hard you might as hell look pretty damn good at least lol.

At my current fat ass, I’m a 34 but where 36-38s size pants for the leg/balls/dick room. I too believe its also genetic. WTF? Bonez! lmao!

Careful now-- if you’re not walking around with a abs, small waist, and lying about how big your arms are, folks will start calling you fat.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
At my current fat ass, I’m a 34 but where 36-38s size pants for the leg/balls/dick room. I too believe its also genetic. WTF? Bonez! lmao! [/quote]

lol it was a joke…

For the record squatting and deadlifting will not make your waist bigger. Well they will but they will enhance your Xframe enough to overshadow any increase in waist girth.

I’d use myself as an example but I don’t want to make anyone jealous that I use a “youth” lifting belt on the smallest notch :wink:

How wide someones hips are is the biggest factor in waist size. I think.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
At my current fat ass, I’m a 34 but where 36-38s size pants for the leg/balls/dick room. I too believe its also genetic. WTF? Bonez! lmao!

lol it was a joke…

For the record squatting and deadlifting will not make your waist bigger. Well they will but they will enhance your Xframe enough to overshadow any increase in waist girth.

I’d use myself as an example but I don’t want to make anyone jealous that I use a “youth” lifting belt on the smallest notch :wink:

[/quote]

All I’ve got to say is that a shitload of box squatting and VERY close stance deadlifting has made my ass and hip area grow much faster then my lats and legs.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
[/quote]

Do you mean frame size? (Width of hip bones?) That’s what I thought was the main factor for waist size. I have a small frame with my wrist circumference at 5.5 inches and I think this is how I have a small waist.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:

lol it was a joke…

All I’ve got to say is that a shitload of box squatting and VERY close stance deadlifting has made my ass and hip area grow much faster then my lats and legs.[/quote]

That’s normal though, no?

Having wide hips is not the same as a wide waist. When I think hips I’m talking about the circumference around the pelvic bones. When I say waist I mean the span around the belly button area. You hip bones aren’t growing from squatting. If you have small hips to begin with and even if the muscles there grow your waist probably wont take too much of a hit.

[quote]debraD wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:

Do you mean frame size? (Width of hip bones?) That’s what I thought was the main factor for waist size. I have a small frame with my wrist circumference at 5.5 inches and I think this is how I have a small waist.

[/quote]

Yep bone size. I didn’t mean the muscle/fat in that area.

The distance between my hip bones is something like 8.5". Which I’ve found out is stupidly small for a man even at my height 5’7. But I don’t complain because it creates a nice taper.