Bodybuilding Split Routine?

I’m gunna try and keep this from turning into a full body vs split flame thread…:slight_smile:
Having said that, my question is:

Do bodybuilders always utilize a 4 or 5 day split or do they ever go full body?

Thanks, guys.

Just some extra thoughts. I’ve dabbled with a 5 day split before, but I was always worried about not working a particular body part enough per week for growth. So I switched back to full body, but lately I’ve been feeling like the weight is getting heavy to the point where I’m gassed after 3 or so compound movements and I have nothing left for the last 2 or 3.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
I’m gunna try and keep this from turning into a full body vs split flame thread…:slight_smile:
Having said that, my question is:

Do bodybuilders always utilize a 4 or 5 day split or do they ever go full body?

Thanks, guys.[/quote]

Well, it sounds like you are experiencing some neural fatigue. Which in your case an extra day or two of rest may suite you if you are getting gassed easily.
I think a split is fine, but I wouldn’t go for more than a 3 day split. Otherwise you are just not working each muscle group enough over a given week. Many of the bodybuilders train two or three times a day. So while they are doing splits they still manage to hit each body part two to three times a week. Since most of us lack the time (and the anabolics) to pull that off we have to find a way two hit each body part a couple of times a week. So if you are designing a split, I’d recommended a hybrid of large compound movements combined with some nice single joint isolation movements. That way you can get a nice cross-sectional anabolic response from the larger movements and isolated stimulation.
That’s my $.02

I was thinking of that strength and Size routine that was posted not too long ago.

Basically it’s a 4 day routine:

1 heavy upper
1 hypertrophy for lower

1 heavy lower
1 hypertrophy for upper

That split looks fine as long as you can recover properly. I don’t know any successful bodybuilders that utilize a full body workout, but a two way split is used by many(like me) and it can be very effective.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
I was thinking of that strength and Size routine that was posted not too long ago.

1 heavy upper
1 hypertrophy for lower

1 heavy lower
1 hypertrophy for upper

[/quote]

Yes, that looks perfect. Give it hell.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:

1 heavy upper
1 hypertrophy for lower

1 heavy lower
1 hypertrophy for upper

Yes, that looks perfect. Give it hell.[/quote]

I’ll give it hell and then some, baby!

Can I just ask, out of curiosity, what are your lifts?

[quote]Scott M wrote:
That split looks fine as long as you can recover properly. I don’t know any successful bodybuilders that utilize a full body workout, but a two way split is used by many(like me) and it can be very effective. [/quote]

I agree.

The only thing that I’d change if I were you would be the order.

1. Heavy Upper
  2. Hypertrophy for lower (not really sure what you mean by this distinction. could you elaborate)
  3. Hypertrophy for Upper
  4. Heavy Lower

Otherwise you’re just not going to have enough recovery between your “hypertrophy for lower” and “heavy lower” days.

To me this looks Westside inspired. Am I right?

Finally, in regards to the split vs. full body issue. You need to realize that there are a lot of shades of grey between full body and a 5 day split. I personally really like a two way split (as Scott mentions above) for the majority of trainees (two way splits include Upper/Lower, Push/Pull, etc…).

Some great advice guys…here’s my 2cents and experience: Every body IS different so finding what’s going to get you to your goal at any particular time is difficult. Many variables and factors: stress, age, diet, natural body rythms, etc. but here’s what works for me:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Tris
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Back, Bi’s.

I train: Day 1,2,rest day,train day 3,1,rest day, and so forth.

For me this has worked great over the years. Just enough rest time. If I feel I need another rest day, I take it. If I feel like going really heavy, I do. I constantly monitor myself.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Scott M wrote:
That split looks fine as long as you can recover properly. I don’t know any successful bodybuilders that utilize a full body workout, but a two way split is used by many(like me) and it can be very effective.

I agree.

The only thing that I’d change if I were you would be the order.

1. Heavy Upper
  2. Hypertrophy for lower (not really sure what you mean by this distinction. could you elaborate)
  3. Hypertrophy for Upper
  4. Heavy Lower

Otherwise you’re just not going to have enough recovery between your “hypertrophy for lower” and “heavy lower” days.

To me this looks Westside inspired. Am I right?

Finally, in regards to the split vs. full body issue. You need to realize that there are a lot of shades of grey between full body and a 5 day split. I personally really like a two way split (as Scott mentions above) for the majority of trainees (two way splits include Upper/Lower, Push/Pull, etc…).[/quote]

Actually I think I typed it wrong, you’re right. That’s the way they structured the workout:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1807367&cr=bodybuilding

Back in the day I remember only hitting each body part once per week with arms last (didn’t want to tire them out for chest back etc.). The thing was that I had little knowledge of how to train except Arnie’s BBing encyclopedia. So each day I absolutely thrashed which ever body part I was doing and went as heavy as possible for the rep range. It was fatigue city with all the drop sets and super sets etc. etc.

But I did get tons of gains by eating a lot of Vietnamese soup. But it was so painful. Literally I had acid build up every training session. But it worked like a hot damn at the time and I would say that each muscle only got hit hard once per week.

Now I do total body and avoid soreness like the plague because it’s not good for training BJJ/MT/MMA later on in the evenings.

But I am thinking about doing it again but for only a month. I bet training to fatigue all the time like that is not something that won’t create diminishing returns.

-chris