Bodybuilding/Powerlifting Template

Hey guys, I am becoming more interested in a bodybuilding/ power lifting template. I was thinking of running wendler 5/3/1, but i would like to workout atleast 5 days a week with some higher rep work for explosiveness in there. Something with a heavy day with lower reps and a day with slightly higher reps. I want the size and strength. Any input appreciated.

[quote]Brotha123 wrote:
Hey guys, I am becoming more interested in a bodybuilding/ power lifting template. I was thinking of running wendler 5/3/1, but i would like to workout atleast 5 days a week with some higher rep work for explosiveness in there. Something with a heavy day with lower reps and a day with slightly higher reps. I want the size and strength. Any input appreciated.[/quote]

I would start by doing 5/3/1 as written for at least 4/5 cycles so you know it well enough to be able to make a better decision on how you want to edit it. You can always do your first 5/3/1 movement followed by assistance exercises with higher reps. I think that Wendler also wrote a specific 5/3/1 template for bodybuilding. Read that.

if you wanna go with 5/3/1 just add in BBB to bump up the volume

personally i’d go with upper/lower split.

Okay, I was however looking to train with a BB and power lifting template, i feel getting both in one template would be best for size and strength.

Also, wanted to train 5 days not 4.

i’m actually just starting something like that today. today will be the first day. it’s kinda a push/pull/legs split over 5 days.

something like this: bench,back(weighted pull ups),squats,rest,ohp,back/legs(deadlifts),rest.

i’ve done 531 for about 11 cycles, had great gains. wanna try something new(at least for 2-3 months to see if it works).

What are you following? reps, sets, ect…

5 days/week, check out KingofBeef’s “Do this Routine” thread

Well if you want to train 5/3/1 five days a week with a powerbuilder approach, I guess something like this
would be the obvious thing to do.

day1: 5/3/1 bench + chest.

day2: 5/3/1 deadlift + back.

day3: 5/3/1 OHpress + delts.

day4: 5/3/1 squat + legs.

day5: arms/abs/calves.

Just an idea.

[quote]Brotha123 wrote:
Also, wanted to train 5 days not 4.[/quote]

You can train 5. My partner and I do 5/3/1 upper/lower split BBB. We also made the supplemental exercises 5/3/1.

For example, when we press, we superset chins with 5/3/1 %'s. Then we do bench/rows for 5x10 @ 60%. When we bench it’s the opposite routine.

It goes like this:

Mon = Squat
Tu = Bench
Wed = Off
Thu = Deads
Fri = OHP
Sat = Prowler

It works great for us.

I wanna be a bodybuilder and a powerlifter and lose body fat while getting bigger stronger and compete in tough mudder events, strong man events, do cross fit and get leaner and get bigger

Wendler posted a 5/3/1 bodybuilding template a while ago. I followed it for a few cycles. Works quite well, and is fun. It is a 4-day per week split, but if you wanted to bump it up to 5 I would suggest either:
A) Reduce the bicep/tricep accessory work on Military & Bench day, and put them on their own day
B) Compress the schedule (what I did). Example: instead of Mon-Tues-off-Thurs-Fri-Off-Off, I did Mon-Tues-Off-Thurs-Fri-off-Sun-Mon-off-etc. Instead of taking 28 days for a full cycle, it takes 22 days. Warning: this can beat you down pretty quickly. Unless you are used to lots of volume, it is brutal.

Also, if you do a 5-day split, I recommend only pushing the 5/3/1+ day, and just hitting your set reps for the first two weeks (5+ & 3+).

link to Wendler’s template: Official Website | Jim Wendler - Elite Powerlifter & Strength Coach