Bodybuilding on the Anabolic Diet 2.0

I went a little crazy with my carb-up over the weekend so I’m scaling down my calories this week. This week’s nutrition will look like this:

3025 kcal, 335 Protein, 185 Fat, not counting veggies

Pre-Workout: 60g Whey, 1 Tbsp natty PB
Intra-workout 10g each Creatine, Glutamine, EAA, BCAA, Glycine
Post-Workout: 60g Whey, 1 Tbsp natty PB
Meal 3- 10oz pork shoulder, veggies
Meal 4- 10oz pork shoulder, veggies
Meal 5- 10oz pork shoulder, veggies

I’m not sure if anyone has seen the Hugh Jackman interviews lately but he said he got his “gaining” diet from Dwayne “Rock” Johnson. It’s basically 6,000kcals a day consisting of meat, fats and veggies with a carb up day every 8th day. Hmm, sounds like the anabolic diet to me!

[quote]RyuuBane wrote:
I’m not sure if anyone has seen the Hugh Jackman interviews lately but he said he got his “gaining” diet from Dwayne “Rock” Johnson. It’s basically 6,000kcals a day consisting of meat, fats and veggies with a carb up day every 8th day. Hmm, sounds like the anabolic diet to me!

[/quote]
And here is an interesting fact: Dr Mauro Pasquale (Anabolic Diet) used to be the Medical Director to the World Wrestling Federation (WWF). I bet that’s where Dwayne “Rock” Johnson got his diet from, which he gave to Hugh Jackman!

Last week my calories were higher than I’d planned, averaging 3500 kcal per day. When you combine that with the epic carb weekend I didn’t really expect to lose weight. Here is my new plan for this week. I should definitely be able to stick with it since it’s 3lbs of meat and 6 eggs.

Meal 1- 16oz pork loin, 15g EVOO, veggies
Meal 2- 16oz chicken breast or round steak, 15g EVOO, veggies
Meal 3- 16oz pork loin, 15g EVOO, veggies
Meal 4- 6 eggs, 15g coconut oil, veggies

This is (not counting veggies) 3018 kcal, 365g Protein (53%), 155g Fat (47%).

I’ve decided that 5/3/1 is not for me at this point in my life. My back has been hurting ever since that first squat workout. It’s not the fault of 5/3/1, it’s the lack of intact lumbar discs in my spine. Also, I have a newborn and the heavier training along with lack of recovery was taking it’s toll on my energy levels. I’m going back to a volume based bodybuilding approach.

[quote]Zach Rounsaville wrote:

[quote]thehebrewhero wrote:
Wow thats a lot of food… Whats your macro percents on low carb days? Are you doing 1 or 2 carb up days? What do you weigh in LBs… 5lbs is nice so it seems you dialed it in just right [/quote]

My percentages last week were 60% Fat, 40% Protein.
This week the percentages are 54% Fat, 46% Protein.
I just do one carb up day, Saturdays.
I started at 238lbs and now I’m down to 233lb, so my calories are around 14-15 kcal per pound.

I noticed something odd between this week and last week. Last week my meat was all pork shoulder and I was almost having to force myself to eat because I wasn’t getting hungry. This week with only a 200 calorie drop and close to the same macros, I’m hungry all day because I switched my meat to chicken. I’m going back to pork next week for sure![/quote]

Notice the same thing too I think red meat should really be the staple if you want the hormone benifits and hunger control

[quote]RyuuBane wrote:

[/quote]

His workout is pretty cool too its a 5x5 program with the assistance work focusing on glam muscles. It was in last months mens health… Me and a buddy are doing it now its pretty fun

[quote]thehebrewhero wrote:

[quote]RyuuBane wrote:

[/quote]

His workout is pretty cool too its a 5x5 program with the assistance work focusing on glam muscles. It was in last months mens health… Me and a buddy are doing it now its pretty fun[/quote]

That sounds great! I’m currently doing upper body volume work and pushing a weighted sled 2 to 3 days a week for lower body. Rehabbing a knee injury so eccentricless leg training is all i can handle at the moment.

My nutrition for last week:

This is my nutrition for the week: (2851kcal, 350 Protein, 133 Fat, veggies)

Meal 1- 6 eggs, 5g coconut oil, veggies
Meal 2- 8oz chicken breast, 10g EVOO, veggies
Meal 3- same as meal 2
Meal 4- same as meal 2
Meal 5- same as meal 2
Meal 6- same as meal 1

*Yes this is very boring and I was so sick of chicken breast. I was pretty much drowning it in mustard and hot sauce towards the end of the week.

This is my nutrition for this week: (basically same macros as last week)

Meal 1- 8oz chicken breast, 10g EVOO, veggies
Meal 2- same as meal 1
Meal 3- 8oz pork loin, 10g EVOO, veggies
Meal 4- same as Meal 3, plus a banana since this is post-workout
Meal 5- 8oz chicken thighs, veggies
Meal 6- same as meal 5

Last week I followed a lower volume (for me) 5 day split. I did 12 sets per bodypart, 2 minutes rest between sets. This was my split:

Mon- Chest
Tues- Back
Wed- Legs
Thurs- Shoulders
Fri- Arms

This week I plan on adding intervals 6 days per week. These won’t be too stressful at first so I can give myself plenty of room to progress. The bike days may just be steady state at first instead of intervals.

Mon- Stationary Bike Intervals
Tues- Jump Rope Intverals
Wed- KB Swing Intervals
Thurs- Stationary Bike Intervals
Fri- Jump Rope Intervals
Sat- KB Swing Intervals

I’m keeping my calories the same this week since I’m adding in the conditioning. I didn’t think it would be good to drop calories AND add the conditioning.

My carb-up was a lot more reserved this past weekend. Here lately I’ve been blowing it out of the water on the weekends and cancelling out my caloric deficit for the week!

8/17/13- Very Moderate Carb-up
Almond O’Joys (awesome homemade almond joys from the cookbook Paleo Indulgences)
Fritata and a banana
3 Larabars
Lunch was a meat and potato casserole, butter beans, creamed corn, hashrown casserole, and 2 pieces of crustless sugar free pie (I didn’t know it was sugar-free at the time, I just knew that it wasn’t very good).
Large Chocolate Hulk
One banana with 1/4 cup chocolate chips with a little unsweetened coconut and almonds

[/quote]

3 pounds of meat in one day. You are a god among men.

[quote]mutantcolors wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha, and that’s for a dieting phase!

8/24 and 8/25- Two Day (still moderate, for me) Carb-Up

Saturday:
6 eggs, 1 sausage patty, 2 small GF waffles with strawberry jam
30 pieces of sushi
Kabobs, baked potato casserole, baked beans
Several Handfuls of Nutella trail mix
Several Tbsp Nutella
3 Larabars

Sunday:
6 eggs, sliced and roasted sweet potatoes with peppers and coconut oil
Banana Split
12oz turkey burger patty, sweet potato fries with ketchup and mayo, 1/4 cup chocolate chips
“Best Brownies” from the Beyond Bacon Cookbook

Nutrition for this week: 2619kcal, 336 Protein, 120 Fat, 15-25 Net Carbs, not counting veggies

Meal 1- 8oz pork loin, 5g EVOO, veggies
Meal 2- same as meal 1
Meal 3- 8oz chicken breast, 5g EVOO, veggies
Meal 4- same as meal 3 plus 1 piece of fruit, and 1 Tbsp natty PB (post-workout)
Meal 5- same as meal 1
Meal 6- same as meal 1 plus 3g fish oil

[/quote]

[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he eats more than 3 pounds a day! Besides, 3 pounds is fairly puny!

[quote]RyuuBane wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he eats more than 3 pounds a day! Besides, 3 pounds is fairly puny![/quote]

Back when I was doing the Modified Warrior Diet with Mike Keck I had phases where I’d eat 2lbs of meat every night along with my veggies, sweet potato, EVOO, coconut oil, almonds, etc.

Don’t fool yourself. No matter what other circumstances have occurred, 3lb of meat a day is far from puny.

I had my carb-up Saturday and it was great! I had three 15 piece sushi platters spread over 3 meals (these were really big pieces of sushi, I’ve eaten 50-60 pieces at once in a restaurant multiple times). We went to a cookout that night and I had a burger patty, pulled pork with BBQ sauce, baked beans, coleslaw, roasted potatoes, a ton of my wife’s Almond O’Joys from Paleo Indulgences, and another ton of our Nutella Chex mix.

Nutrition for the week:
Meal 1- 14oz Muscle Milk Light
Meal 2- same as meal 1
Meal 3- same as meal 1
Intra-workout- 40g my amino acid blend
Post-Workout- 60g Whey Isolate
Feast- 24oz pork loin, 1 Tbsp EVOO, 5 eggs, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, veggies

I’ve been following a template where I’m working muscle once per week but I’m think of switching my split to something more like this next week:

Monday- Back and Bis, Intervals
Tuesday- Chest and Side Delts, Walk
Wednesday- Legs, Walk
Thursday- Back and Rear Delts, Intervals
Friday- Chest and Tris, Walk
Saturday- Steady State Run
Sunday- Walk