Bodybuilding Mags Worth Reading

CKMAN wrote:

The truth is that the strength and size gains readers are promised are so overly exaggerated its beyond ridiculous. Every single male model in these mags is on steroids even though most (M&F and MuscleMag especially) advocate to their readers to adopt healthier lifestyles; eat more healthy foods and less junk, do plenty of exercise, drink less alcohol, quit smoking, etc.

BONEZ217 wrote:

This is what I have a problem with. You are clearly implying that steroid users are unhealthy. Making such a generalization is foolish.

Did I say that steroid users are unhealthy?

No I didn’t!

What I basically said (but in different words) is that taking steroids is not conducive to a ‘healthier lifestyle’.

They are a RISK to your long-term health.

This is a well documented fact.

I assume that even the most hardcore of users accept and understand this.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
CKMAN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
CKMAN wrote:
You can still get plenty of small helpful tips from these mags even though they are really only suited to those with above average genetics and those who juice.

But make no mistake; they are full of bullshit!

It’s funny how the beginning of Weider mags read something along these lines:

… “Strive for excellence, speak the truth, practice fidelity, and honour your father and mother”.

Speak the truth?

Really?

Practice fidelity?

The truth is that the strength and size gains readers are promised are so overly exaggerated its beyond ridiculous. Every single male model in these mags is on steroids even though most (M&F and MuscleMag especially) advocate to their readers to adopt healthier lifestyles; eat more healthy foods and less junk, do plenty of exercise, drink less alcohol, quit smoking, etc.

Readers are given the idea that off-season, pro-bodybuilders eat all these healthy foods even when trying to gain as much muscle mass as possible; fruits and vegetables, whole-grains, lean meats, low-fat dairy products etc. But there is no way bodybuilders would get so overly fat off-season if their daily diets resembled the examples given in these mags. Instead, they eat a lot of junk and very little healthy stuff for most of the year (about 9 months), and you can actually see this in many bodybuilding DVDs.

?

Overly fat? Most of those guys stay under 15% in the off season at the pro level. By that stage they are doing guest posings to make more money in the off season which is why most of them don’t get as heavy as they did right before they turned pro. You clearly don’t know what you are talking about.

I’m not saying that there aren’t plenty of pro-bodybuilders who stay under 15% off-season, of course there are; some stay even leaner than this all year round because that’s the approach they prefer as they don’t like getting too out of shape. It just makes their job that much harder when it’s time to cut. I know Ronnie Coleman followed this approach; I think it was for the 2005 Olympia. He basically had one cheat meal and then dieted for the whole year (he ate off-season what he would normally only eat pre-contest) and consequently stepped on stage leaner than usual and with a smaller waist.

Bodybuilders today are definitely not getting as fat off-season as they use to in the past.

However, there are those who end up higher than 15% body fat off-season because they eat too much junk. One example is Lee Priest. In the link below you can see that he was obviously higher than 15% here. And I know what you’re going to say. That’s just one of the many thousands of pro bodybuilders in the world who went too far. But do you honestly think that there aren’t others out there who have been/are in Lee Priest’s shoes? Virtually all the photos of bodybuilders in the mags are around contest time when they don’t have protruding stomachs and when they are ripped. The magazines don’t want their readers to see bodybuilders carrying too much fat just in case they are put-off from buying again or the sport, so off-season photos rarely make it inside.

www.ironmagazineforums.com/history/topic/59805-1.html

Of course you’d pick Lee Priest. In the first photo he isn’t fat. Not even close. The next two photos are famous because he was paid to get into that condition to do a ‘before and after’ shot. It is obvious that you don’t know what you are talking about when it comes to the offseason habits of successful bodybuilders. If your errors weren’t enough, flip flopping your argument sure doesn’t help you out. Just stop with the whole “bodybuilders cant walk up stairs or they’ll have a heart attack”, everyone’s heard it all before.[/quote]

I’m not flip flopping my argument.

Once again you read wrong!

Read it again.

I’m becoming use to your inaccurate claims by now though!

Where did I say that bodybuilders can’t walk up stairs because they’ll have a heart attack?

Where?

The only person that said anything remotely similar to this is you!

All I basically said was that many of them put on a bit too much fat off-season, and that they don’t all seem to follow the off-season diets outlined in the mags. Consequently, the magazines would rather their readers didn’t see this, and so generally, they don’t.

What the hell is your problem!?

[quote]CKMAN wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
CKMAN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
CKMAN wrote:
You can still get plenty of small helpful tips from these mags even though they are really only suited to those with above average genetics and those who juice.

… “Strive for excellence, speak the truth, practice fidelity, and honour your father and mother”.

Speak the truth?

Really?

Practice fidelity?

Readers are given the idea that off-season, pro-bodybuilders eat all these healthy foods even when trying to gain as much muscle mass as possible; fruits and vegetables, whole-grains, lean meats, low-fat dairy products etc. But there is no way bodybuilders would get so overly fat off-season if their daily diets resembled the examples given in these mags. Instead, they eat a lot of junk and very little healthy stuff for most of the year (about 9 months), and you can actually see this in many bodybuilding DVDs.

?

Overly fat? Most of those guys stay under 15% in the off season at the pro level. By that stage they are doing guest posings to make more money in the off season which is why most of them don’t get as heavy as they did right before they turned pro. You clearly don’t know what you are talking about.

I’m not saying that there aren’t plenty of pro-bodybuilders who stay under 15% off-season, of course there are; some stay even leaner than this all year round because that’s the approach they prefer as they don’t like getting too out of shape. It just makes their job that much harder when it’s time to cut. I know Ronnie Coleman followed this approach; I think it was for the 2005 Olympia. He basically had one cheat meal and then dieted for the whole year (he ate off-season what he would normally only eat pre-contest) and consequently stepped on stage leaner than usual and with a smaller waist.

Bodybuilders today are definitely not getting as fat off-season as they use to in the past.

However, there are those who end up higher than 15% body fat off-season because they eat too much junk. One example is Lee Priest. In the link below you can see that he was obviously higher than 15% here. And I know what you’re going to say. That’s just one of the many thousands of pro bodybuilders in the world who went too far. But do you honestly think that there aren’t others out there who have been/are in Lee Priest’s shoes? Virtually all the photos of bodybuilders in the mags are around contest time when they don’t have protruding stomachs and when they are ripped. The magazines don’t want their readers to see bodybuilders carrying too much fat just in case they are put-off from buying again or the sport, so off-season photos rarely make it inside.

Of course you’d pick Lee Priest. In the first photo he isn’t fat. Not even close. The next two photos are famous because he was paid to get into that condition to do a ‘before and after’ shot. It is obvious that you don’t know what you are talking about when it comes to the offseason habits of successful bodybuilders. If your errors weren’t enough, flip flopping your argument sure doesn’t help you out. Just stop with the whole “bodybuilders cant walk up stairs or they’ll have a heart attack”, everyone’s heard it all before.

Read it again.

Where did I say that bodybuilders can’t walk up stairs because they’ll have a heart attack?

Where?

All I basically said was that many of them put on a bit too much fat off-season, and that they don’t all seem to follow the off-season diets outlined in the mags. Consequently, the magazines would rather their readers didn’t see this, and so generally, they don’t.

[/quote]

Let me guess. You prefer Bruce Lee’s physique over the one’s you see in ANY of the magazines.

I hope english isn’t your first language. You started at the extreme and have slowly been moving toward more ambiguous language with each post you make. And, no, I will not explain it to you. I’m finished with you. You’re likely a troll, and a shitty one at that.

go to borders or barnes and noble and read em for free! Planet Muscle is pretty cool though. Powerlifting USA is good, but mostly has stats and stuff.

I like MD because of the contest write ups and individual bodybuilder highlight sections. Also, a lot of pros have their own columns in there and I like to read what they have to say.

[quote]Sindie wrote:
go to borders or barnes and noble and read em for free! Planet Muscle is pretty cool though. Powerlifting USA is good, but mostly has stats and stuff. [/quote]

Why would I do that when the goal is inspiration in the first place and I like the mag? Why avoid buying a magazine that I like? Are you that low on cash? 5 bucks is setting you back like that?

[quote]CKMAN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
CKMAN wrote:

Speak the truth?

Really?

Practice fidelity?

?

[/quote]

I love the pics of lee priest eating fried chicken, it’s such a joke. Who the hell opens the fridge while taking a bite of fried chicken breast if they’re NOT trying to appear as out of shape and fat as he is trying to?

[quote]hachi wrote:
Anyone read “Powerlifting USA” or any other powerlifting mags. Are they any good?[/quote]

Yep, subscribed to it for ~15 years; and it was a real pain in the arse before they took credit card subscriptions (I’m in the UK). Interesting and inspirational. But now I can get most of the info from EFS & Louie’s Westside site. Comp results are only a click away, the ad’s werent much use to us brits either. Miss it sometimes though.

I used to read Muscle & Fitness, got quite a bit out of it too (especially the PLUSA bit! haha) but this was a while ago (think 1978ish). The old Iron man was really good too, in Perry Readers day (OMG I’m showing my age!)

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
CKMAN wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
CKMAN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
CKMAN wrote:

Speak the truth?

Really?

Practice fidelity?

?

Of course you’d pick Lee Priest. In the first photo he isn’t fat. Not even close. The next two photos are famous because he was paid to get into that condition to do a ‘before and after’ shot. It is obvious that you don’t know what you are talking about when it comes to the offseason habits of successful bodybuilders. If your errors weren’t enough, flip flopping your argument sure doesn’t help you out. Just stop with the whole “bodybuilders cant walk up stairs or they’ll have a heart attack”, everyone’s heard it all before.

Read it again.

Where?

Let me guess. You prefer Bruce Lee’s physique over the one’s you see in ANY of the magazines.

I hope english isn’t your first language. You started at the extreme and have slowly been moving toward more ambiguous language with each post you make. And, no, I will not explain it to you. I’m finished with you. You’re likely a troll, and a shitty one at that.
[/quote]

Well I’m not finished with you! You are full of shit and I think you’re a fucking dickhead! Is that clear enough for you? Hey remember, you started this not me! None of my posts were insulting to anyone in any way, but no, you had to come along with your big mouth and start throwing all these words around and accusing me of saying this and that about steroid users and bodybuilders.

And as for English not being my first language, well, I graduated from a top London university with an upper-second class honours in real estate and business management. I don’t need you to explain anything to me about the language. Judging by your profile and what you have already said, I probably started reading and writing English when you were still shitting in your pants.

And let’s not even go there about Bruce Lee because that would just make you look like an even bigger loser.

I do hope I have been clear enough for you this time.

[quote]CKMAN wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
CKMAN wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
CKMAN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
CKMAN wrote:

Speak the truth?

Really?

Practice fidelity?

?

Read it again.

Where?

Well I’m not finished with you! You are full of shit and I think you’re a fucking dickhead! Is that clear enough for you? Hey remember, you started this not me! None of my posts were insulting to anyone in any way, but no, you had to come along with your big mouth and start throwing all these words around and accusing me of saying this and that about steroid users and bodybuilders.

And as for English not being my first language, well, I graduated from a top London university with an upper-second class honours in real estate and business management. I don’t need you to explain anything to me about the language. Judging by your profile and what you have already said, I probably started reading and writing English when you were still shitting in your pants.

And let’s not even go there about Bruce Lee because that would just make you look like an even bigger loser.

I do hope I have been clear enough for you this time.[/quote]

Congrats for being old… Good job on completing your higher education… Would you like an Oreo for your accomplishment? Or would that make you too fat and out of shape?