Bodybuilding for Sport Training

[quote]crod266 wrote:
I have another question to anyonre that might know. What exectly is considered plyometrics, thib said to only use them a couple times out of the year but would agility and quckiness drills be plyometrics also?[/quote]

Plyometrics refers to any exercise which uses the SSC (stretch shortening cycle) of a muscle to produce the greatest amount of force in the shortest amount of time.

Classic examples are box/drop jumps, medicine ball throws, repeated squat jumps. All plyos have a rapid ccentric phase (stretch) followed by amortisation and then a rapid concentric phase (shortening). The key to plyos is speed.

you are essentially training the neuromuscular system to be more sensitive to stretch and therefore utilise muscle spindle activation to its maximum.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
crod266 wrote:
I have another question to anyonre that might know. What exectly is considered plyometrics, thib said to only use them a couple times out of the year but would agility and quckiness drills be plyometrics also?

I think CT was talking about high intensity depth drops/rebound jumps. They’re good for a boost to even out your explosive ability to the level your strength allows, but their benefits drop off relatively quickly.

Agility and quickness are plyometric activities, as is sprinting, jumping, and such. However I wouldn’t discourage doing those drills as long as you’re still able to do everything else to get stronger, and you’re eating enough.

In athletics, it’s so important to be able to understand what your body is doing, and being attuned to how you’re moving, that almost any chance athletes have to do that kind of thing is going to be beneficial.

But again, I would only reccomend that if you’re not over training, eating enough, and aren’t taking away from your gains otherwise. In season they’re not very necessary if you’re on the ice more than 3 hours a week.

And in response to how I train in the off season – Well, I didn’t have much of one this past season, spent a lot of time at camps for teams, and a month recovering from injury.

If I had to design as perfect program as possible I would basically start with Berardi’s concepts of g-flux. Get as much quality exercise as you can, training all the things required for your position. Then eat a crap ton to gain some muscle.[/quote]

hey hockey champ I had another question but its nto so much about training, How do you feel about roller skating for practice outside. SOme people say it fucks up your ice skating even if you shoot and stickhandle with them on outside. What do you think

i think it does mess with your skating a tiny bit honestly, but if you get inline skates with a rocker chassis as opposed to the most common Hi-Low chassis ( like i got ) then it should have a more similar feel to the ice while you are skating on ground.

also, you probably practice stick handling at home or something with a stick handling ball and sneakers on right? and that doesnt mess with your ability to handle the puck on the ice right? i say go for it, cuz the more time with skates of any kind on practicing with a puck is time well spent.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
I really don’t think training like a bodybuilder is optimal for sports training.

There are both arguments for and against this quote and both have left me in two minds over my own training.

Argyment For… bodybuilding is a profession in its own and if this was the ultimate way to train then all athletes would be using these methods, but reality is that the goals of a bodybuilder and the goals of a sportsman are completly different.

Argument Against… Bodybuilders use the same fundamental exercise as all athletes…the squat the deadlift and bench press, therefore in my view surely there are exercices that bodybuilders use that can benefit athletes and vice versa?

The idea for bodybuilding is to have the most impressive and downright HUUUUUUUUUUUGE physique which involves gains in muscle mass, now i’m a sprinter, and for me personally I aim for big muscle mass to boost my natural Creatine Phosphate levels to enhance my explosive power, thus i tend to lean towards bodybuilding training but in a controlled manner, i implement my own sport specific training such as plyometric jumps with squats and sissy squats to achieve my goals.

That is my own personal view on the matter any one else have an opinion? be more than happy to hear your views and discuss.