Bodybuilding Fads 'n Scams?

This applies to pretty much everything that’s advertised as healthy. If you think about it, the stuff that we’re really supposed to eat and the stuff that is best for our bodies doesn’t advertise it. The packages just state the obvious—apple, banana, potato, chicken, beef, spinach, etc.

Basically people should start using the logic that if it has commercials, bold letters on the label, and claim to be healthier than another product then it’s junk.

Have you read “In Defense of Food” by Michael Pollan? It’s a good read and speaks a lot to this point.

My favorite right now is all the “Protein” Cereals…“We pack 12 grams of protein in every serving!” *w/ a cup of milk haha I really, really want my cookie crisps protein packed and delicious, damnit!

5 Likes

Cookie Crisps!!!

The most successful product on the face of Earth. They successfully passed a box of cookies off as breakfast and most likely destroyed their competitors in the cookie aisle. :laughing:

4 Likes

Have any of you tried Chips’ahoy choc chip cookies? They used to sell them in Australia but not anymore. They were my favourite! I’d literally travel across countries just to eat them.

Yeah, dude…I’m 'Murican

4 Likes

You’re coming dangerously close to talking shit about halo top. I’ll go 12 rounds to defend halo top

1 Like

Really good read, but he is a bit negative on meat eating as a whole, without really giving a good reason for it.

BUT IT TASTES REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!

Leave me to my delusions, fucking party poopers.

Yes, I agree that this undertone is present through the majority of the book. If I remember correctly, he seems to only speak to meat in a more factory farmed setting rather than your local, pasture raised meats.

For the most part though, it does strike home the main message of simply eating real foods for overall health.

What’s halo top?

It’s high protein ice cream. A pint of it is like 280 calories, 25g protein, and 12 of its 48g of carbs are fiber

1 Like

Years ago, in Canada and I believe the States, they changed the laws on the nutritional profiles of food. For example, cereal could not be over x amount of sugar. The thought was they are trying to fight child obesity and diabetes.

Well, good old cereal companies only changed the serving sizes instead of the actual amount of sugar. And as noted above, the amount of protein, but only if you add milk…

Makes a good pre workout though. Get that insulin working.

3 Likes

Seems suspicious…

Don’t ruin this for me

4 Likes

Lol yeah, Rob turned me onto this stuff and I’ll put away a pint at a time :slight_smile:

S

1 Like

It’s a god send for fat boys like me. It’s probably not “healthy”, but for a damn dessert 25g protein and 35g net carbs is pretty damn good.
Plus I’m not sure how sugar alcohols stack up to regular sugar, but a pint has around 20g fiber, 16g sugar and 20g sugar alcohols depending on flavor

Most likely it stacks up exactly how you would expect it to :sadpanda: mmmm… sugar alcohols!

Anyway, if you’re moving towards your goals and it’s not killing you…

I actually just looked it up. Sugar alcohols aren’t completely digested and absorbed, causing them to produce lower spikes in insulin than regular sugar, and to be less calories. Sugar alcohols are generally only 2 calories per gram instead of the usual 4.

I could be over simplifying it, but it seems like 20g of sugar alcohols is the caloric equivalent of 10g of regular sugar. They will give the shits if eaten in excess due to the partial digestion

1 Like

I’m way late responding to this. But. I want this to be a dance move.

7 Likes