Bodybuilding Fads 'n Scams?

Any older guys try Hot Stuff in the late 80s / early 90’s? I remember a buddy telling me that sure he was in the bathroom all the time, but it was all worth it -lol

1 Like

Me too!

Within 2 months of lifting and reading flex, i thought I would be walking around with some Chris Benoit looking physique if I handed over £50 for some Cell-Tech. To be young again!

It definitely got you hyped to lift.

was it the watermelon flavor? if so I remember that as my first pre, used to make me sick

I never experienced it personally, but I remember hearing stories of my buddy’s older brother puking up protein powder and trying to catch it or hold it in. He said it was too expensive to waste!:laughing:

1 Like

Hell yeah! Those were the first BCAAs I ever tried because they were cheaper than flavored powder and I was dirt poor!

That shit was awful!

When I moved out of my apartment to move in with the lady way back when, I found three containers of that stuff in the back of a closet. I apparently bought it in bulk…woops! haha

2 Likes

Didn’t this have a ton of effedrin in it or something? Im too young, but remember my dad and some of the older lifting guys talking about it being crazy

I agree in the main about Ron Harris, and his job as a journalist to hype guys and routines into a mythical status. His book Real Bodybuilding where he talks about when he started to use steroids was actually quite good. On of the first modern books that talked about the secret behind bodybuilding.

Charles Atlas

10k shakes

Desiccated liver
Hot Stuff
Boron

1 Like

Anyone who watches training stuff on YouTube right now… Jawsrsize

Dude is selling a ball you bite down on to sculpt the jaw line

3 Likes

Saw that lel

I’ma be alright. Soviet sports supplements do it fine for me

1 Like

I’ve seen this commercial. All I can think is how odd it is. That dude must have sat and thought hard on how he could take advantage of and monetize a niche male insecurity (and I didn’t even know it was an insecurity that some guys have!).

On the other hand, I have to respect that jackass – you gotta hustle to make a dollar.

The original Ultimate Orange was the best.
I actually started taking it during the day and would actually get anxiety and giddy for class to end knowing it was waiting for me back in dorm.

Was going thru containers a week

tasted like Tang mixed with vanilla cream

1 Like

I recall Weider putting out “carbo-sticks” or some similar sounding nonsense as a pre-workout. Basically colored sugar in a straw a la Pixie Stix from a candy store -lol.

Good ol’ Joe. When you saw him wearing a lab coat in the magazine ads you just knew he was right on the cutting edge of nutritional science!

S

3 Likes
2 Likes

I remember mixing unflavoured BCAAS, with HMB powder, Creatine Ethyl Esther, and unflavoured Calcium Caseinate.

At least I felt hardcore

OMG to funny!!!

This isn’t particularly BBing related but it can be.

I was immediately got sucked into the waist trainer thing some years ago. Even though I was already sporting a cringy and unhealthy waistline.

I remember sinching that thing up so tight for weeks on end, and one day I went bike riding with some high school friends and almost 5 mins in I completely passed out. I had on an extremely baggy sweatshirt so it took my friends a min to figure out what was wrong. They just cut the thing straight up the middle, and upon waking up i Instantly pissed my pants because that thing had been putting so much pressure on my bladder.

Never again.

I also got sucked into mass gainer protein shakes about two years ago, and immediately got fat because I was slamming down 10 scoops a day on top of eating any and everything.

1 Like

I think people get misled by the mass gainers. They might have 25-50g of protein but the rest is junk! If it tastes like a chocolate shake and has 800+ calories then you’ve been duped!

I recently met a guy with a failed supplement business who has leftover product in his garage. I bought a 10lb bag of Syntha 6 protein for $40 but I’m disappointed that each serving is 200 calories with only 20-25g I’d protein. They taste good though!

2 Likes

Not BB related, but the bullshit scam that Nutella is supposed to be a “healthier” alternative to peanut butter when it’s just fuckin chocolate

6 Likes