T Nation

Bodybuilding (Competition) Q&A

Considering this forum is now supposed to be for competitors and competition discussion I think having some kind of Q&A relating to everything regarding competing is concerned (prep and offseason) would be kinda.cool

This is NOT a “zraw Q&A”… I do think however that.people that actually.competed should be the ones answering (given the nature of the forum)

Doing my first prep i realized there are a lots of little details you do not necessarily think about until you are in front of the “problem” (what suit cutto use… what color… Etc, comes to mind)

Hope this can help and give new ideas to everyone

Ok I’ve got a question:

I’d be interested to know a few different theories and experiences with competitors’, ‘peak week’ experiences regarding water manipulation, carb-loading etc. what worked, what didn’t work and what would you do differently?

question thats hard to answer but for someone who’s never been what wed define shredded, I’m currently sitting at 205 pounds probably 13% with 11 weeks to go, only small local show for charity actually. but I’m currently eating 300g protein and 70g fat with 40 mins cardio 6 times per week. when progress stalls at this low caloric intake do i remove fat? up cardio? remove protein

[quote]titleist55 wrote:
question thats hard to answer but for someone who’s never been what wed define shredded, I’m currently sitting at 205 pounds probably 13% with 11 weeks to go, only small local show for charity actually. but I’m currently eating 300g protein and 70g fat with 40 mins cardio 6 times per week. when progress stalls at this low caloric intake do i remove fat? up cardio? remove protein[/quote]

are you zero card already?

If so and you’re only 13 percent BF right now–you might be running into problems very soon

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
Ok I’ve got a question:

I’d be interested to know a few different theories and experiences with competitors’, ‘peak week’ experiences regarding water manipulation, carb-loading etc. what worked, what didn’t work and what would you do differently?[/quote]
This would be interesting and also, can water make someone look fat even if they aren’t

[quote]titleist55 wrote:
question thats hard to answer but for someone who’s never been what wed define shredded, I’m currently sitting at 205 pounds probably 13% with 11 weeks to go, only small local show for charity actually. but I’m currently eating 300g protein and 70g fat with 40 mins cardio 6 times per week. when progress stalls at this low caloric intake do i remove fat? up cardio? remove protein[/quote]

You aren’t eating any carbs?

[quote]myself1992 wrote:

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
Ok I’ve got a question:

I’d be interested to know a few different theories and experiences with competitors’, ‘peak week’ experiences regarding water manipulation, carb-loading etc. what worked, what didn’t work and what would you do differently?[/quote]
This would be interesting and also, can water make someone look fat even if they aren’t[/quote]

if you are getting really bad retention it can–i would say it makes you look more “blurry” though

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
This would be interesting and also, can water make someone look fat even if they aren’t[/quote]

In 99.9% of the cases, No. Obviously I’m referring to those who aren’t utilizing various PEDs that can seriously jack up the body’s water retention. But in a normal, healthy non-pED using individual, the body doesn’t really retain water the way some people seem to think. Layne put it best a while back: “You’re not retaining water, you’re retaining fat.” Basically that you’re not as lean as you think -lol.

With that said though, unless you’re already low single digit bf levels, no amount of screwing with water is going to have any effect in your physique.

S

[quote]zraw wrote:
Considering this forum is now supposed to be for competitors and competition discussion I think having some kind of Q&A relating to everything regarding competing is concerned (prep and offseason) would be kinda.cool

This is NOT a “zraw Q&A”… I do think however that.people that actually.competed should be the ones answering (given the nature of the forum)

Doing my first prep i realized there are a lots of little details you do not necessarily think about until you are in front of the “problem” (what suit cutto use… what color… Etc, comes to mind)

Hope this can help and give new ideas to everyone[/quote]

Great idea. I think what caused the attitude lately in the the BBing forum, was people with no really experience of dieting down to contest levels, doling out advice on every facet of “how it’s done”.

We’ve certainly had a good number of T-folks stepping up onstage the last few years. Let’s capitalizde on our resources.

S

General consensus on carbs the last 4 weeks before a show?

Tapered down and then cut completely before beginning glycogen depletion stuff or what?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
General consensus on carbs the last 4 weeks before a show?

Tapered down and then cut completely before beginning glycogen depletion stuff or what?[/quote]

It really depends on a number of factors, namely, what has your diet been all throughout prep.

Usually, people are making diet changed until 1 week out when they begin peak week work so, your body/metabolism will dictate the number of carbs you are eating at that time.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
General consensus on carbs the last 4 weeks before a show?

Tapered down and then cut completely before beginning glycogen depletion stuff or what?[/quote]

It really depends on a number of factors, namely, what has your diet been all throughout prep.

Usually, people are making diet changed until 1 week out when they begin peak week work so, your body/metabolism will dictate the number of carbs you are eating at that time.

[/quote]

holy side hamstring pose ebomb- competing anytime soon?

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
General consensus on carbs the last 4 weeks before a show?

Tapered down and then cut completely before beginning glycogen depletion stuff or what?[/quote]

It really depends on a number of factors, namely, what has your diet been all throughout prep.

Usually, people are making diet changed until 1 week out when they begin peak week work so, your body/metabolism will dictate the number of carbs you are eating at that time.

[/quote]

Ok, thank you for the reply

I BROUGHT THE EBOMB BACK OMG

Exactly. I pay very careful attention to how people respond the day after a lower carb intake, and a higher carb intake. This usually gives me some (because no one can ever know 100%) idea as to if we can do a carb load (heavy, or moderate), or if we just wanna coast into a show without trying for any last minute voodoo.

S

Concerning that last minute carb up voodooism the biggest advantage IMO is it allow you to be bigger in your weight class

I.made the weight in at 192 post carb up pre water cutoff and the class was 188-197

I probably couldve squeezed into the 187class and load afterward… Mind you I didnt care cauee I was going for the overall…but still

Carbing lass minutes on the other hand = more chances of fucking things up

I will get back to the other questions later!

Here’s something i’ve always wondered. I’ve heard that while dieting for a contest or any extreme cut you should include more heavy lifting as it basically tells your body to retain muscle. Any truth to this? Or is it broscience?

[quote]deadliftgoal500 wrote:
Here’s something i’ve always wondered. I’ve heard that while dieting for a contest or any extreme cut you should include more heavy lifting as it basically tells your body to retain muscle. Any truth to this? Or is it broscience?[/quote]

I’ve read a lot of article by Christian Thibaudeau (mostly from the years where he was publishing 1 article a week, 2007-2008) and probably others strongly suggesting it. I believe it’s a solid advice.

Great thread idea.

When do ya’ll think someone is ‘ready’ to compete? Obviously lifting for 3 months isn’t enough time under the bar to do that, but when do you think someone’s ‘ready’?

I want to do a Physique show (which I know is kind of a different animal in regards to conditioning and look then BB’ing) later this fall/winter, but right now, being 6’2" and 195 lbs (see avi for glance at BF%), I know I’m far from being ‘big’ or at my potential.

Is it one of those things ya’ll think is sometimes good just for the experience?