T Nation

Bodybuilding Coming Back

you may think that with the all the sudden springing up of “clubs”, planet fitness, 24hr fitness, whatever, that the bodybuilding apocalypse is upon us but it seems that bodybuilding is coming back and hard.

ive been to a few gyms and it seems any gym that has a decent set of weights and equipment is full of guys who just want to move weight and get bigger and a handful of guys who look competition ready.

its on tv too. every reality show has to have “the bodybuilder” or the big guy. on I Love Money theres 12 Pack, on Real World there was Joey, on Big Brother theres “the bodybuilder”.

its also big with the “guido” crowd. while everyone may dispise the guido style you cant argue the fact that its pretty popular and its expected that the guys are to be big.

i think bodybuilding is back just the face of the average bodybuilder has changed and its not about parachute pants and fanny packs anymore. and now its the 25 and under crowd with a better sense of style and a lot of attention to hair.

If the club I was at last night is any indication, bodybuilding is DEAD!

By the way, there’s a LOT of ugly, out-of-shape people in Foxboro Massachusetts!

Well, maybe, but none of it matters if it’s not functional muscle. Being able to do side twists with a 5 lb. dumbbell on a bosu ball seems to be a lot more important to most people than squatting, from what I’ve seen in the gym.

Yes, everyone wants a better, harder, stronger looking body, but the average joe doesn’t want to be hyooge or put in the time, effort, hard work to do so.

In other words, everyone’s a tool.

idk dude, i meet more and more people who want to be bodybuilders. i know 2 other people besides me at my gym (a ballys) who want to compete and i think theres a couple guys who already do or could soon.

Bodybuilding, not to be confused with general fitness lifting, never died around these parts.

For whatever reason power lifting, strongman lifting, Olympic lifting, “functional” training, compound-only training and full body training never caught on like it appeared to have in other parts of the world (assuming the internet crowd actually represented what was done in gyms across America). Ironically there was a time when I used to think the locals were fools for not keeping up with the times; now I respect them for bucking the trends.

PS: Regarding your comment about bodybuilders today having better style… just remember… today’s faux hawk (or whatever) is yesterday’s mullet. :^)

actually the mullet is back. and dude nothing will ever be as bad as huge parachute pants and fanny packs.

Bodybuilding is deeper than that, IMO. To the normal people lifting weights and looking good naked is another fad. They don’t live the lifestyle. Yeah, they want to look good, get bigger, etc but a true bodybuilder (I don’t use that term to describe what I do due to the fact that Im not a lean 250lbs but the average training college surfer soy boy, arch back benching, chicken legged queer in my area uses the term liberally) doesn’t cringe come leg day.

Leg day, to them, consists of loading up the leg press with every plate in the joint and a midget and moving the sled for 1/32 of an inch reps. As for hamstrings, only chicks train em according to the resident self-proclaimed badass in my gym. There I was doing some heavy ass straight legged deads and he tells me its for chicks.

Fuck man, don’t get me started on back day. If your shins aren’t bleeding and your not covered in sweat and chalk and can’t barely walk it fuckin’ aint post-workout on back day in my world. They’re monsters come chest and arm day, I’ll give them that but nothing else.
Its Diet bodybuilding. Some of the goods but not the real deal. END OF RANT.

i share your fear of leg day, but i love back day. i love it more than chest day. because doing rack pulls with 405 while the bar bends and everyone is set on their bench watching you feels pretty good. the anabolic affects from moving all that weight feel damn good too and so does the back pump.

i disagree with your portrait of a bodybuilder though. i dont think you need to be 250lbs to be a bodybuilder. i think you need to be a respectable weight but 250 lean is heavyweight pro level and theres different classes for a reason.

i repsect every bodybuilder who puts in hardwork but having the size of ronnie coleman does not appeal to me. i think he looks overly bloated and rounded even when in contest shape. the guy just looks bad to me. i think Dex Jackson is one of the only top level BBers who doesnt look overly bloated, and to be honest, fat…even though theyre 3% BF

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Bodybuilding is deeper than that, IMO. To the normal people lifting weights and looking good naked is another fad. They don’t live the lifestyle. Yeah, they want to look good, get bigger, etc but a true bodybuilder (I don’t use that term to describe what I do due to the fact that Im not a lean 250lbs but the average training college surfer soy boy, arch back benching, chicken legged queer in my area uses the term liberally) doesn’t cringe come leg day.

Leg day, to them, consists of loading up the leg press with every plate in the joint and a midget and moving the sled for 1/32 of an inch reps. As for hamstrings, only chicks train em according to the resident self-proclaimed badass in my gym. There I was doing some heavy ass straight legged deads and he tells me its for chicks.

Fuck man, don’t get me started on back day. If your shins aren’t bleeding and your not covered in sweat and chalk and can’t barely walk it fuckin’ aint post-workout on back day in my world. They’re monsters come chest and arm day, I’ll give them that but nothing else.
Its Diet bodybuilding. Some of the goods but not the real deal. END OF RANT.
[/quote]

Yeah, this is the point I was kind of trying to make as well. Bodybuilding is so loosely tossed around; most people just really aren’t really willing to adjust their lifestyle to develope the biggest muscles they possibly can. Just remember, as Rev Ron once said, “Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but no one wants to lift no heavy-ass weights!”

I think more people want to be huge then people think but dont want to have that lifestyle like people said.

Its one of the only sports which takes time and dedication every day all day its not like playing another sport liek hockey where u play and pratice for an hour a day and when your not on the ice you dont have to worry about it. in bb you always do

thats true. thats what seperates it from everything else every single thing, i mean everything has a direct effect on your body so youre always on. the gym is actually the easiet part of it all.

on another note, yes, im talking about just the desire to get big. i mean theres different variations of big and yea not everyone can put as much effort in as others but thats what seperates everyone in life regardless of what it is. theres no top NFL or NBA player who didnt work his ass off to get there, natural talent aside. and BBing is the same thing, yea you can be good but in order to be great you need to in game mode 24/7.

as long as theres more people wanting to do deadlifts and overhead presses and less wanting to do bosu crunches and 1 leg squats im happy. and ill tally that as a win for bodybuilders.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Bodybuilding is deeper than that, IMO. To the normal people lifting weights and looking good naked is another fad. They don’t live the lifestyle.

Yeah, they want to look good, get bigger, etc but a true bodybuilder (I don’t use that term to describe what I do due to the fact that Im not a lean 250lbs but the average training college surfer soy boy, arch back benching, chicken legged queer in my area uses the term liberally) doesn’t cringe come leg day.

Leg day, to them, consists of loading up the leg press with every plate in the joint and a midget and moving the sled for 1/32 of an inch reps. As for hamstrings, only chicks train em according to the resident self-proclaimed badass in my gym. There I was doing some heavy ass straight legged deads and he tells me its for chicks.

Fuck man, don’t get me started on back day. If your shins aren’t bleeding and your not covered in sweat and chalk and can’t barely walk it fuckin’ aint post-workout on back day in my world.

They’re monsters come chest and arm day, I’ll give them that but nothing else.
Its Diet bodybuilding. Some of the goods but not the real deal. END OF RANT.
[/quote]

Can I still use the midget on the leg press if I promise to do a full rom?? lol

good post homeboy!

DG

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i share your fear of leg day, but i love back day. i love it more than chest day. because doing rack pulls with 405 while the bar bends and everyone is set on their bench watching you feels pretty good. the anabolic affects from moving all that weight feel damn good too and so does the back pump.

i disagree with your portrait of a bodybuilder though. i dont think you need to be 250lbs to be a bodybuilder. i think you need to be a respectable weight but 250 lean is heavyweight pro level and theres different classes for a reason.

i repsect every bodybuilder who puts in hardwork but having the size of ronnie coleman does not appeal to me. i think he looks overly bloated and rounded even when in contest shape. the guy just looks bad to me. i think Dex Jackson is one of the only top level BBers who doesnt look overly bloated, and to be honest, fat…even though theyre 3% BF[/quote]

I agree to some degree but when a 180lb ab boy, yall know the kind, uses the term do describe his hobbies I can’t help but cringe because even though I don’t have his ab development I look more the part than that motherfucker and I’m hesistant to even think of using that term. “I’m a bodybuilder.” he states proudly.

A typical beach body. No upper body taper (lack of a v-taper), no back thickness, decent chest, decent bis and tris, decent shoulders, and a complete lack of quad muscularity, and a awesome set of 13’ calves. Yet he still proudly proclaims himself a bodybuilder.

To me that term is something that is earned when, in my case, I weigh in excess of 250lbs and its blatantly obvious of what I am. Even then I will still refrain myself of using that term. Only until I’m covered in pro-tan, completely dry, and ready to step on stage.

Then only then, will I say, “I’m a bodybuilder.” Like I’ve previously stated, its another fad, another way of scoring chicks, another way of competing with your buddies to see who can move the 120lbs for 6 horribly performed reps on the flat bench, and another way of being a “badass”.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i share your fear of leg day, but i love back day. i love it more than chest day. because doing rack pulls with 405 while the bar bends and everyone is set on their bench watching you feels pretty good. the anabolic affects from moving all that weight feel damn good too and so does the back pump.

i disagree with your portrait of a bodybuilder though. i dont think you need to be 250lbs to be a bodybuilder. i think you need to be a respectable weight but 250 lean is heavyweight pro level and theres different classes for a reason.

i repsect every bodybuilder who puts in hardwork but having the size of ronnie coleman does not appeal to me. i think he looks overly bloated and rounded even when in contest shape. the guy just looks bad to me.

i think Dex Jackson is one of the only top level BBers who doesnt look overly bloated, and to be honest, fat…even though theyre 3% BF

I agree to some degree but when a 180lb ab boy, yall know the kind, uses the term do describe his hobbies I can’t help but cringe because even though I don’t have his ab development I look more the part than that motherfucker and I’m hesistant to even think of using that term.

“I’m a bodybuilder.” he states proudly. A typical beach body. No upper body taper (lack of a v-taper), no back thickness, decent chest, decent bis and tris, decent shoulders, and a complete lack of quad muscularity, and a awesome set of 13’ calves.

Yet he still proudly proclaims himself a bodybuilder. To me that term is something that is earned when, in my case, I weigh in excess of 250lbs and its blatantly obvious of what I am. Even then I will still refrain myself of using that term. Only until I’m covered in pro-tan, completely dry, and ready to step on stage.

Then only then, will I say, “I’m a bodybuilder.” Like I’ve previously stated, its another fad, another way of scoring chicks, another way of competing with your buddies to see who can move the 120lbs for 6 horribly performed reps on the flat bench, and another way of being a “badass”.
[/quote]

Not much to add here…

I think there are just as many hardcore guys (whether you classify yourself as a bodybuilder or not) – guys who train their guts out, eat huge, and dedicate themselves to this as there probably ever were.

However, it seems like there are less because the % of them in gyms is less and less. There are fitness clubs, and cardio bunnies everywhere these days and there are so many that they overshadow the hardcore people.

In short, I believe it is not that there are less of us, it is that there is more of them.

A few years ago, I did a “mall survey” because the girl was cute. While I was filling in my sheet, she asked if I was a bodybuilder. I hesitated and stared at her (like a dumbass) and eventually said “yes”.

I cringed when I said it too. Not because I didn’t compete, but because I didn’t think I warranted the name. Still don’t.

maybe thats the case then. its just to me it seems all of a sudden theres some spotlight on bodybuilding, i dont know i feel its just everywhere now though.

[quote]GuerillaZen wrote: There are fitness clubs, and cardio bunnies everywhere these days and there are so many that they overshadow the hardcore people.
quote]

Aww the cardio bunnies, don’t get me started on that. They do their cardio and hit the juice bar and pound over 600 kcals in their orange/pineapple/peach/sorbet puntas pingas smoothie.

They do the cardio, they try to spot reduce by using the beaver tron/ inner thigh machine and don’t lift weights because they’ll get bulky. I’m not saying that all women are like that as I’ve seen a handful of them actually moving some weight around. A truly beautiful sight seeing a woman do deadlifts.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
Bodybuilding is deeper than that, IMO. To the normal people lifting weights and looking good naked is another fad. They don’t live the lifestyle.

Yeah, they want to look good, get bigger, etc but a true bodybuilder (I don’t use that term to describe what I do due to the fact that Im not a lean 250lbs but the average training college surfer soy boy, arch back benching, chicken legged queer in my area uses the term liberally) doesn’t cringe come leg day.

Leg day, to them, consists of loading up the leg press with every plate in the joint and a midget and moving the sled for 1/32 of an inch reps. As for hamstrings, only chicks train em according to the resident self-proclaimed badass in my gym. There I was doing some heavy ass straight legged deads and he tells me its for chicks.

Fuck man, don’t get me started on back day. If your shins aren’t bleeding and your not covered in sweat and chalk and can’t barely walk it fuckin’ aint post-workout on back day in my world.

They’re monsters come chest and arm day, I’ll give them that but nothing else.
Its Diet bodybuilding. Some of the goods but not the real deal. END OF RANT.

Can I still use the midget on the leg press if I promise to do a full rom?? lol

good post homeboy!

DG[/quote]

Sure can, just make sure you don’t throw em off if you do drop sets. Lol!

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
Bodybuilding is deeper than that, IMO. To the normal people lifting weights and looking good naked is another fad. They don’t live the lifestyle.

Yeah, they want to look good, get bigger, etc but a true bodybuilder (I don’t use that term to describe what I do due to the fact that Im not a lean 250lbs but the average training college surfer soy boy, arch back benching, chicken legged queer in my area uses the term liberally) doesn’t cringe come leg day.

Leg day, to them, consists of loading up the leg press with every plate in the joint and a midget and moving the sled for 1/32 of an inch reps. As for hamstrings, only chicks train em according to the resident self-proclaimed badass in my gym. There I was doing some heavy ass straight legged deads and he tells me its for chicks.

Fuck man, don’t get me started on back day. If your shins aren’t bleeding and your not covered in sweat and chalk and can’t barely walk it fuckin’ aint post-workout on back day in my world.

They’re monsters come chest and arm day, I’ll give them that but nothing else.
Its Diet bodybuilding. Some of the goods but not the real deal. END OF RANT.

Can I still use the midget on the leg press if I promise to do a full rom?? lol

good post homeboy!

DG

Sure can, just make sure you don’t throw em off if you do drop sets. Lol! [/quote]

Its a workout for them too…i do strip sets and their workout is to climb from side to side and drop the weights off. lol Hits the lateralis great! lol

DGerdy