T Nation

Bodybuilding Brothers Please Help!

New 2 this site, only joined 2day but been reading posts on here for sometime and I noticed this is a good site for bodybuilding advice.

Basically, Im nearly 17 now, my problem is that Ive been training for around 7months, you know the usual teenager that wants to get big to impress peers, but now my biceps have stopped growing. My brother who is nearly 19 trains once in like 2 weeks and he is HUGEEE compared 2 me who devotes much time to bodybuilding but dont seem 2 be growing.

In my early days my biceps used 2 hurt the next day, now no matter how hard i hit them they have lost any pain or DOMS. I give them more than enough rest and my nutrition is sound, so what the hell is wrong??

Thanks.

Your bro is older thats why he’s probably bigger.

you have hit a plateu, switch up your bicep routine and see if that works.

If you’ve made progress you will probably have to switch up your diet as well.

Gerdy

Go straight to the Beginners forum and read the stickies. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Quit worrying about your biceps so much. Focus on building the whole body and the rest will take care of itself.

If you haven’t made progress in a while you probably need to switch up your program, eat more, or both.

By the way, just how “HUGEEE” is this brother of yours who trains once in two weeks? What’s his height/weight compared to yours?

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
New 2 this site, only joined 2day but been reading posts on here for sometime and I noticed this is a good site for bodybuilding advice.

Basically, Im nearly 17 now, my problem is that Ive been training for around 7months, you know the usual teenager that wants to get big to impress peers, but now my biceps have stopped growing. My brother who is nearly 19 trains once in like 2 weeks and he is HUGEEE compared 2 me who devotes much time to bodybuilding but dont seem 2 be growing.

In my early days my biceps used 2 hurt the next day, now no matter how hard i hit them they have lost any pain or DOMS. I give them more than enough rest and my nutrition is sound, so what the hell is wrong??

Thanks.[/quote]

You have adapted my friend. You need to change something in your workout.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Your bro is older thats why he’s probably bigger.

you have hit a plateu, switch up your bicep routine and see if that works.

If you’ve made progress you will probably have to switch up your diet as well.

Gerdy[/quote]

Yeah, I’d agree with Gerdy.

Your brother also just may have better genetics for bodybuilding than you do. I know, it’s not fair, but it’s possible.

Don’t let that discourage you though. You are not competing with your brother, and really you should only be concerned with being better than you were yesterday (in other words, strive for self improvement).

As far as your routine goes, try using different exercises, different set/rep schemes, try some intensity techniques (supersets, pre/post fatigue, giant sets, etc…) to force your biceps to start growing again.

Also, have you been increasing the amount of weight that you are lifting in your biceps exercises? No, weight isn’t the only factor in building big muscles, but it’s certainly one of the main ones.

Finally, are you gaining weight? Is the rest of your body growing? If not, then you simply aren’t eating enough to support growth (at your age and experience level you should have no problems gaining weight). If not, then get that in order first. If you are gaining weight and it’s just the biceps, then go ahead and play around with some of the above suggestions about program alterations.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_no_curl_biceps_program

If you want big arms… SQUAT!

good advice above - train your whole body. But, your brother gets loads of rest - take the hint.

Switch up your arm exercises

What is your best full squat and full deadlift?

That’ll tell us all we need to know.

When you can deadlift 2x bodyweight, and your biceps haven’t grown, then you can worry. Just keep getting the big lifts UP and the biceps will grow.

BTW, the biggest my arms ever got was when I dropped curling movements and hit chins and rows hard.

It can’t hurt.

same thing derek said.

“nutrition is sound”…

Eat more, kid.

HUGEEE?

bmitch and pipes, before setting this kid on an arm specialization routine, understand that this is the typical east indian kid (yes! check the name and consider the way he’s written his post) we see in gyms all over the place, building entire routines around curls and bench and seeing little progress from year to year.

He needs to visit the beginner’s forum, pick a massbuilding routine and focus on gaining scale weight as well as raising poundages on his basic and accessory lifts. Once you have gained a sufficient amount of muscle, you may observe that some parts lag wrt others, and thats when you can drift into a SPECIALIZATION routine.

Since advising “these” guys is usually a pointless exercise (I have had enough bad experience coaching a few of them to know), I will now exit this thread. Good luck, kid.

Lol thanks for the luck, Neway, yes my bro is at least twice the size of me, i weigh around 70kg, he weighs around 90-95kg, he only trains biceps and chest and thats about it lol ive been on countless supplements but they do nothing to help muscle gain. Some people have told me to completely cut out arm training, i dont squat with a bar on my shoulders as ive heard it will stunt my growth so i squat with dumbells, the rest of my body grows well, just not biceps??

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
Lol thanks for the luck, Neway, yes my bro is at least twice the size of me, i weigh around 70kg, he weighs around 90-95kg, he only trains biceps and chest and thats about it lol ive been on countless supplements but they do nothing to help muscle gain. Some people have told me to completely cut out arm training, i dont squat with a bar on my shoulders as ive heard it will stunt my growth so i squat with dumbells, the rest of my body grows well, just not biceps??[/quote]

Squatting with a bar on your back will not stunt your growth. That’s a myth. Squatting with dumbbells sounds like a pussy exercise to me.

Type up your routine if you want advice on it. However, there is something very important you should understand. Just about every guy thinks their biceps are lagging, and that’s because you keep looking at them, checking to see if they’ve grown or generally checking how big they are. I’d be willing to bet if you look at yourself honestly that you’ve got the right size arms for your legs, back, shoulders and chest.

You may be thinking ‘oh, I’m gaining weight okay but my arms are growing slowly’ but you’re missing that weight is distributed across your entire body and muscle growth is a slow process. You won’t look like you’ve been training for years until you actually have been training for years, and then only if you’ve been consistent with hard work and enough food.

[quote]UkpairehMombooto wrote:
bmitch and pipes, before setting this kid on an arm specialization routine, understand that this is the typical east indian kid (yes! check the name and consider the way he’s written his post) we see in gyms all over the place, building entire routines around curls and bench and seeing little progress from year to year.

He needs to visit the beginner’s forum, pick a massbuilding routine and focus on gaining scale weight as well as raising poundages on his basic and accessory lifts. Once you have gained a sufficient amount of muscle, you may observe that some parts lag wrt others, and thats when you can drift into a SPECIALIZATION routine.

Since advising “these” guys is usually a pointless exercise (I have had enough bad experience coaching a few of them to know), I will now exit this thread. Good luck, kid.[/quote]

Dude we’re not all the same.

Well for my biceps, ive taken time off to avoid over-training, and i only do 2 intense exercises for my biceps in a workout which vary every week e.g. barbell curls and cable pulls then the next week incline dumbell curls with concentration curls, i guess if it have to blame small biceps to bad genetics it sucks :S :s and shire well said, i wouldnt ask for bodybuilding advice if i wasnt going to act on it…

What does the rest of your routine look like and how much are you eating?

For chest, i hit it from every angle (flat bench, incline, flyes, decline), Legs i do squats and machines, for Back i do bent-over rows and lat pulldowns and pullups, in regards to my diet, i eat like a horse lol mainly protein and carbs but sometimes just pig out and eat junk(sometimes).

Drink my protein shake in the morning and after workout (Maximuscle cyclone “all-in-one”). But brothers, so far… Thanks for all the help!! My rest is also more than enough :-S :S