T Nation

BodyBuilding begginer

Im starting to get in to bodybuilding and wanted to check if i have everything correct, if not please tell me how can i improve. Ok for starters weight lifting history.
SS for 4 months.
why i want to change routine.
I noticed that my body was not getting the look i wanted, some parts of my body felt under developed compared to the rest of it (not that im big or anything).So i started to look into body building for a more symmetrical look.

current stats
age 26
72 kilos
13% or 14% body fat

Equipment
Power cage (dip atachment and pull up bar)
adjustable bench
olypic barbell
300 pounds weights
dumbells
120 pound D.B. weights

routine is a five day split

chest and calf's

Bench Press 5x5
Incline press 4x10
D.B.flyes 3x12
Dips 3x12
Calf Raise 4x12
Unilateral C.R 3x15
Calf Raise (again) 3x20

Back and ABs

Dead Lift 4x8
Barbel Row 4x8
Pull up 3x12
Reverse fly 3x12
one arm row 4x15
hanging leg raise 4x12
decline crunch 3x20

Shoulder and Hamstring

over head press 4x8
Lateral row 4x10
upright row 3x12
stiff leg D.L. 4x10
Leg curl 4x15
good morning 3x10

Abs and Quads

Squats 5x10
Hack squat 4x12
lunge 4x12
Bulgarian split squats 3x20
dragon flags 3x12
ab roll out 3x20

Bicept,tricept, forearms

close grip bench 4x8
barbell curl 4x8
skull crushers 3x12
over head extension 3x20
spider curl 3x12
drag curl 3x20
wrist curl 3x15

Plus 4 Days of Cardio on non leg days

Diet
i wont write down what i eat everyday but every morning i start with green tea,caffeine tablets and creatine before work out then post workout i eat breakfast, during the day i consume 160g protein,190g carbs,65g fat, dispersed around 6 different meals a day.
Diet goals is to try to cut to 8% body fat if possible then start bulking until im once again 13% to 14% body fat then repeat until ideal goal of 180 to 185 pounds at 8%-10% body fat is obtained, i’m guessing it would take around 5 to 6 years?

supplements
currently whey, creatine, multivitamin, omega 3, glutamine. All generic, i wanted to have everything correct before i started spending money on brand name supplements

so thats all, what should i change?, what do you guys recommend ? does the diet look right? and as an extra note. i dont feel like going back to SS im sure there are people that have made good gains on pure body building routines and not just on SS.

so thanks in advance for all the good advice.

[quote]Mr.Tengu wrote:
Diet goals is to try to cut to 8% body fat if possible then start bulking until im once again 13% to 14% body fat then repeat until ideal goal of 180 to 185 pounds at 8%-10% body fat is obtained, i’m guessing it would take around 5 to 6 years? [/quote]
Just to address this first, I don’t think cutting right now is appropriate. Even if you lost zero muscle along the way to getting to your target fat percentage/leanness, you’re going to end up looking similar to this dude above.

He’s your height and a lean 145 in that pic. Pretty lean, but otherwise skinny. If you’re cool with that, fair enough. Your goals are your goals, just do your thing as smart as you can.

I think you’re in a good position to start a smart bulking plan right now. You’re not exactly carrying a ton of extra fat, so if you keep an eye on your carb timing and maybe include some regular conditioning/cardio (if needed), you should be able to bump up your calories while following a well-designed program and get right on your way to that 180-185.

I’m hesitant to put a concrete timeframe on it, but it “shouldn’t” take 6 years for a kinda young, not terribly out of shape beginner to gain 20 good pounds unless tons of unavoidable obstacles come up along the way or unless you simply screw up the training and nutrition. As a general concept though, try to get away from “bodyfat percentage” and stick to going primarily by the look. There’s not that big a difference between 8% or 10% and it’s just too hard to accurately calculate anyhow.

In those four months, how much bodyweight did you gain?

Also, by the end, what weight were you using for the working sets on the squat, deadlift, flat bench, overhead press, and clean?

As a whole, it looks alright. A few tweaks to some exercise choices and some of the the sets/reps could help though. Couple examples: Seems to be a lot of with in the 12-20 rep range and nothing really below 8 reps. Lower rep, heavier work is a mainstay you pretty much always want to include; I don’t know about doing back (with deadlifts), then hamstrings (with SLDLs and good mornings), then quads (with squats) three days in a row. It’s a lot of cumulative stress on the low back; Your calf training is setup all wonky. Even with limited equipment, you can manage seated or one-leg seated raises for some more variety.

[quote]Diet
i wont write down what i eat everyday but every morning i start with green tea,caffeine tablets and creatine before work out then post workout i eat breakfast, during the day i consume 160g protein,190g carbs,65g fat, dispersed around 6 different meals a day.[/quote]
At a hair under 2,000 calories, lifting 5 days a week and doing cardio 4 days a week, you may need to add calories to prevent overtraining (or in this case, undereating/under-recovering).

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

I think you’re in a good position to start a smart bulking plan right now. You’re not exactly carrying a ton of extra fat, so if you keep an eye on your carb timing and maybe include some regular conditioning/cardio (if needed), you should be able to bump up your calories while following a well-designed program and get right on your way to that 180-185.[/quote]

So if i would start a clean bulk i would have to eat around 300 to 350 calories above maintenance correct?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
I’m hesitant to put a concrete timeframe on it, but it “shouldn’t” take 6 years for a kinda young, not terribly out of shape beginner to gain 20 good pounds unless tons of unavoidable obstacles come up along the way or unless you simply screw up the training and nutrition. As a general concept though, try to get away from “bodyfat percentage” and stick to going primarily by the look. There’s not that big a difference between 8% or 10% and it’s just too hard to accurately calculate anyhow.[/quote]

I just picked 8% BF because that seemed like the lowest you can go while still being healthy,but i agree overall i would largely go by look.

[quote]
In those four months, how much bodyweight did you gain?[/quote]

Went from 65 kilos to 72 kilos

Squat 95 kilos
Flat Bench 72 kilos
Dead lifts 110 kilos
Overhead press 50 kilos
and no cleans. Even after reading the book and watching videos i did not feel comfortable with them and i couldn’t make sure if form was correct or not, unlike the other lifts where i could easily check from the mirror (back straight and so on) although i could post form check videos to make sure.

[quote]
As a whole, it looks alright. A few tweaks to some exercise choices and some of the the sets/reps could help though. Couple examples: Seems to be a lot of with in the 12-20 rep range and nothing really below 8 reps. Lower rep, heavier work is a mainstay you pretty much always want to include; I don’t know about doing back (with deadlifts), then hamstrings (with SLDLs and good mornings), then quads (with squats) three days in a row. It’s a lot of cumulative stress on the low back; Your calf training is setup all wonky. Even with limited equipment, you can manage seated or one-leg seated raises for some more variety.[/quote]

Well i was mainly using the 5 day routine outlined here http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/a_tried_and_true_bodybuilding_program_template
I also thought the light weight and high rep would put less stress on the lower back
and as for the calf exercises i didnt know there was much difference between standing and seated calf raise but if there is i would add them ASAP. do you think i should re adjust the major compound movements to 5 reps? and try to seperate squats,DL and SLDL by one day?

[quote]
At a hair under 2,000 calories, lifting 5 days a week and doing cardio 4 days a week, you may need to add calories to prevent overtraining (or in this case, undereating/under-recovering).[/quote]

Well i was doing 2000 since i was trying to cut weight, basically going 300 under mantanance so for a bulk i would just go 300 over?

[quote]Mr.Tengu wrote:
So if i would start a clean bulk i would have to eat around 300 to 350 calories above maintenance correct? [/quote]
Generally 500 calories above maintenance is a starting point (could certainly be more depending on the person). Adjusting things weekly based on progress.

[quote]

Went from 65 kilos to 72 kilos[/quote]
Good work, just be sure you’re consistent with your food. At your size, you almost-definitely could’ve squeezed more quality bodyweight gain over that period of time.

[quote]

Squat 95 kilos
Flat Bench 72 kilos
Dead lifts 110 kilos
Overhead press 50 kilos[/quote]
Very good gains. Don’t stress too much about the cleans. It’s really not any more difficult or dangerous than a deadlift or squat. Start light, don’t try to have competitive Olympic weightlifter-level textbook form, and just practice. It’s a great exercise to know.

[quote]Well i was mainly using the 5 day routine outlined here http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/a_tried_and_true_bodybuilding_program_template
I also thought the light weight and high rep would put less stress on the lower back
and as for the calf exercises i didnt know there was much difference between standing and seated calf raise but if there is i would add them ASAP. do you think i should re adjust the major compound movements to 5 reps? and try to seperate squats,DL and SLDL by one day?[/quote]
Gotcha. I didn’t recognize the routine laid out like that. I’d follow Hyght’s plan as-is. He knows what he’s doing. Different coaches have different approaches, and it’s not like one is “right” and the other is “wrong.”

[quote]

Well i was doing 2000 since i was trying to cut weight, basically going 300 under mantanance so for a bulk i would just go 300 over?[/quote]
Again, 500 above maintenance is a general starting point. If you’re training often and/or hard (which you are), expect that you may need even more than that.

use 5/3/1 to continue your strength work while programming assistance exercises to address your physique weak points (if you mention the areas you want to improve, people could help more).

Re diet: Eat 3 lbs of RED meat every day. After that, eat whatever you want. If you can’t afford grass fed, the regular stuff at the grocery store works. i wouldn’t drop below top sirloin unless you’re looking to hypertrophy your jaw with all the chewing :slight_smile: