T Nation

Bodybuilding and Fight Club

Why wasn’t bodybuilding used as the club’s “activity” in Fight Club instead of guy’s beating each other up? It would be more realistic and productive because lets face it bodybuilding is very much a club of sorts with many of the psychological benefits that the club in the book/movie supposedly provided.

We would also not have the era of ‘I wanna look like 150lb Brad Pitt soaking wet’.

Thoughts?

Fight Club has been discussed to death in many instances here.

The author wrote what he knew. If it were a story about a bodybuilding club, how different would that be from the gym settings we all already experience, wherein we take dramatic and sometimes dangerous action to make changes in ourselves?

Because fighting is more fun to watch.

“Self improvement is masturbation”

“I felt sorry for the guys packing into gyms, trying to look like Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger said they should.”

That’s why…

For every one person that views their time in the gym as a way to strengthen the mind and the body, there is 1000 d-bags in there looking to get swole so they fill out an extra small t-shirt. One of the major themes of the novel/film was rejection of societal norms and not becoming what we are told to become.

Also, Chuck has caught tons of flack for it having undertoned homosexual themes and that is what the book is really about. I dont think it would have gone any better if it was about a bunch of dudes in basements lifting. And one of the major points of the book is to deconstruct what we think male-ism is, what it is to be a “real man” and mans role in the world.

How we are taken from our animalistic thinking and completely removed and castrated. Jase has the right quotes but I would add “self improvement isnt the answer, maybe self destruction is?” “its only after youve lost everything that you are free to do anything” and, while pointing to a calvin klein advertisement of a man in underwear “is that what a man is suppose to look like.”

Also got to love “if our fathers are models for god, and our fathers fail, what does that tell you about god?”

I think what the book says and how fucking gorgeous Pitt was in the movie, literally becoming a dream for most guys it was a complete move to be hypocritical (on purpose). By the end of the movie they had him pack on more muscle and weight, causing him to lose the leanness he had and therefore never showed his abs again in the film. Both those dudes have had bodies to be admired at one time or another in films.

The object of lifting weights for bodybuilding purposes in FC wouldnt be for asthetics but for survival. The need to defend and fight and prove yourself outweighs any desires to look good. You have to remember that jack/tylers mission was to send the world back to what the unibomber wanted, back to a time with zero technology, back to where day to day purpose was to better yourself and your tribe and survive off the land, not get caught up in all the wonderful stupid shit we are distracted by today (says the trainer on his laptop in starbucks…im such a fucking poser!!)

my thoughts are “Shut up don’t post ever again.”

I absolutely hate cheap toilet paper.

I think the clue is in the name…

[quote]chochky1 wrote:
Thoughts?[/quote]Because bodybuilders can’t fight.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]
ewwwwwwwwwww

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]
ewwwwwwwwwww[/quote]

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]
ewwwwwwwwwww[/quote]
[/quote]

Plumbing the depths of your Fap Stash, D?

lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]
ewwwwwwwwwww[/quote]
[/quote]

Plumbing the depths of your Fap Stash, D?

lol[/quote]

I’d hit it.

Derek, for fuck’s sake put them away!!

LMFAO!!

[quote]hipsr4runnin wrote:
Also, Chuck has caught tons of flack for it having undertoned homosexual themes and that is what the book is really about. I dont think it would have gone any better if it was about a bunch of dudes in basements lifting. And one of the major points of the book is to deconstruct what we think male-ism is, what it is to be a “real man” and mans role in the world.

How we are taken from our animalistic thinking and completely removed and castrated. Jase has the right quotes but I would add “self improvement isnt the answer, maybe self destruction is?” “its only after youve lost everything that you are free to do anything” and, while pointing to a calvin klein advertisement of a man in underwear “is that what a man is suppose to look like.”

Also got to love “if our fathers are models for god, and our fathers fail, what does that tell you about god?”

I think what the book says and how fucking gorgeous Pitt was in the movie, literally becoming a dream for most guys it was a complete move to be hypocritical (on purpose). By the end of the movie they had him pack on more muscle and weight, causing him to lose the leanness he had and therefore never showed his abs again in the film. Both those dudes have had bodies to be admired at one time or another in films.

The object of lifting weights for bodybuilding purposes in FC wouldnt be for asthetics but for survival. The need to defend and fight and prove yourself outweighs any desires to look good. You have to remember that jack/tylers mission was to send the world back to what the unibomber wanted, back to a time with zero technology, back to where day to day purpose was to better yourself and your tribe and survive off the land, not get caught up in all the wonderful stupid shit we are distracted by today (says the trainer on his laptop in starbucks…im such a fucking poser!!)[/quote]

Pretty good response and yeah I suppose it makes sense. Personally though the whole ‘lets beat ourselves up’ came off to me as a little “teen angsty” and juvenile, maybe because initially it looked to me like they weren’t doing it for any other reason than that they were fed up. What put me off was that there didn’t seem to be any underlying purpose.

Having said that however, I guess you could look at what they were doing as a sport too. I mean they did have rules in place for the fights. IMO having the fights as an actual sport/event to build yourself for would go miles farther in communicating self development than just doing it as purely an outlet. Though I can’t remember to what extent the fights were proper events and not just casual entertainment. I just felt like Tyler could have communicated a lot more than he was. I suppose it’s just my love of the iron that had me wanting the story to be a dystopian Pumping Iron 2 of sorts haha.

Imagine Arnold: “Ze first rule of Iron Club iz, you do not eat my proteinz!”

^Okay, that was lame.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
my thoughts are “Shut up don’t post ever again.”

[/quote]

You can take your own advice and GTFO.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Derek, for fuck’s sake put them away!!

LMFAO!![/quote]

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Derek, for fuck’s sake put them away!!

LMFAO!![/quote]
[/quote]

Emergency parachute?