Bodybuilding and BJJ?

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
What’s your problem man… All i was asking is if it was hard to maintain a physique at a certain weight? (In my case 170lbs cut).[/quote]

That’s NOT what you were asking. You asked whether it was possible to do BJJ and bodybuild.

When someone says they want to bodybuild, certain assumptions are made. One assumion not made is that the person wants to weigh 170 lbs. That is NOT bodybuilding. It is “fitness modeling” or something.

Based on your post, my answer has changed: You will have no problem maintaining that weight/continuing “bodybuilding” while doing BJJ.

I hope you do not start taking BJJ, though. Given your definition of bodybuilding, 3 weeks after starting class you’ll be telling everyone you’re “doing MMA.” There are enough of those posers on this site already.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
hit the gym wrote:
What’s your problem man… All i was asking is if it was hard to maintain a physique at a certain weight? (In my case 170lbs cut).

That’s NOT what you were asking. You asked whether it was possible to do BJJ and bodybuild.

When someone says they want to bodybuild, certain assumptions are made. One assumion not made is that the person wants to weigh 170 lbs. That is NOT bodybuilding. It is “fitness modeling” or something.

Based on your post, my answer has changed: You will have no problem maintaining that weight/continuing “bodybuilding” while doing BJJ.

I hope you do not start taking BJJ, though. Given your definition of bodybuilding, 3 weeks after starting class you’ll be telling everyone you’re “doing MMA.” There are enough of those posers on this site already.[/quote]

There isn’t even a need for me to respond after that one. My guess is, “hit the gym” will ignore this post. At average height, it shouldn’t take a life time’s worth of effort to maintain AVERAGE weight. Why did that need to be stated in writing?

Well I got some great advice, thanks.

(To California and ProfessorX:

1. In my book training like a bodybuilder is bodybuilding

2. California: before accusing me of not saying something, read the thread

3. Prof: There is a difference between maintaining 170lbs and maintaining 170lbs cut)

Not to pick nits but if you are not interested in actually building extra muscle mass and merely want to maintain what you have and stay strong bodybuilding is the wrong term.

Just call it weight training and save people the confusion.