Bodybuilders w/ Powerlifting Background?

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Let’s just make it very clear here that “lifting heavy” and “powerlifting” are NOT the same thing. Powerlifting is competing in the sport of powerlifting.

That takes off about half of the people listed so far.

Which ones didn’t compete (I wouldn’t know, serious question)

I’m 99% certain that neither Levrone nor Branch Warren have ever competed as powerlifters. Warren was a teen champion in bodybuilding back in the early 90’s…he’s been focused on bodybuilding for a very long time.

I’m also fairly certain that Arnold never competed seriously as a powerlifter.

The point I’m trying to get across here is that squatting, benching, and deadlifting doesn’t make you a powerlifter. Doing those lifts in a competition does. There seems to be a fairly large contingent of young lifters posting in the powerlifting section on this site who think that simply lifting heavy means you are a powerlifter.

i’ve been saying this forever… if you don’t compete in bodybuilding you aren’t a bodybuilder. if you don’t compete in powerlifting, you aren’t a powerlifter. you are just a person that lifts weights.

[/quote]

I have to respectfully disagree.

If you are building your body, with the intention of one day stepping on stage, you are a bodybuilder. With that said, I don’t go around claiming I’m a bodybuilder to my friends and/or people I meet, even though I consider myself to be one and have the same goals.

I’m not sure how I feel about the power lifting status. Maybe it is a little different because you can compete at any level in your training. IMO, in bodybuilding, there is no point in stepping on stage unless you plan to get first. If you go to a PL meet and get last, you still had the experience, and can improve for the next time.

I wish I could do that when I was 19.
Fuck, I wish I could do that now.

His deadlift is impressive…the other 2 lifts are not on the same level of impressiveness but still very good.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
His deadlift is impressive…the other 2 lifts are not on the same level of impressiveness but still very good.[/quote]

he was 19 though, I dont know any 19 year olds that can get anywhere near that