Bodybuilders w/ Powerlifting Background?

Hey, I was wondering which bodybuilders have come from a powerlifting background, thanks.

Ronnie Coleman

Arnold

hmm Johnnie Jackson, and the young Trey Brewer.

how about branch warren?

Levrone

Franco

Let’s just make it very clear here that “lifting heavy” and “powerlifting” are NOT the same thing. Powerlifting is competing in the sport of powerlifting.

That takes off about half of the people listed so far.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Let’s just make it very clear here that “lifting heavy” and “powerlifting” are NOT the same thing. Powerlifting is competing in the sport of powerlifting.

That takes off about half of the people listed so far.[/quote]

I know, that’s what I want to know, so, of the mentioned people, who actually had a powerlifting background, I know Johnnie Jackson does and have heard about ronnie coleman but am not so sure if it’s true

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

That takes off about half of the people listed so far.[/quote]

Which ones didn’t compete (I don’t know, serious question, I think Arnie did, Johnnie obviously, but no idea if Ronnie actually competed… Wasn’t he a powerlifter at school or Uni in PL class or something like that? Branch: Never heard anything about him having a history in PL)

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

Which ones didn’t compete (I wouldn’t know, serious question)

[/quote]

I’m 99% certain that neither Levrone nor Branch Warren have ever competed as powerlifters. Warren was a teen champion in bodybuilding back in the early 90’s…he’s been focused on bodybuilding for a very long time.

I’m also fairly certain that Arnold never competed seriously as a powerlifter.

The point I’m trying to get across here is that squatting, benching, and deadlifting doesn’t make you a powerlifter. Doing those lifts in a competition does. There seems to be a fairly large contingent of young lifters posting in the powerlifting section on this site who think that simply lifting heavy means you are a powerlifter.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

I’m 99% certain that neither Levrone nor Branch Warren have ever competed as powerlifters. Warren was a teen champion in bodybuilding back in the early 90’s…he’s been focused on bodybuilding for a very long time.
[/quote] That’s what I thought, too. [quote]
[/quote] Honestly? I do think he mentioned something like that in his encyclopedia… Didn’t he train and compete together with Franco originally? I might be wrong, of course, and he simply considered himself a powerlifter due to occasionally maxing out on a lift.[quote]
The point I’m trying to get across here is that squatting, benching, and deadlifting doesn’t make you a powerlifter.[/quote] Of course. [quote] Doing those lifts in a competition does. There seems to be a fairly large contingent of young lifters posting in the powerlifting section on this site who think that simply lifting heavy means you are a powerlifter.[/quote]

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

The point I’m trying to get across here is that squatting, benching, and deadlifting doesn’t make you a powerlifter. Doing those lifts in a competition does. There seems to be a fairly large contingent of young lifters posting in the powerlifting section on this site who think that simply lifting heavy means you are a powerlifter.[/quote]

i’ve been saying this forever… if you don’t compete in bodybuilding you aren’t a bodybuilder. if you don’t compete in powerlifting, you aren’t a powerlifter. you are just a person that lifts weights.

Levrone competed in power lifting before he started bodybuilding. It’s actually how he got started. Competed in a powerlifting comp when he was 21, won it, then his coach convinced him to compete in the bodybuilding show later that night, and Levrone won that too. About a 1 1/2 years later Levrone turned pro. Quite the story eh?

And yah, Arnold competed in PLing too. There was a thread about that a while ago. Dunno about Ronnie, and I don’t think Branch did.

branch did compete in powerlifting, it was after he did his 1st few bodybuilding shows in a video interview i seen of him he said he done it because it didn’t cost as much to prepare for a meet as it did to do a show, once he finished college he went back to bodybuilding.
i’ll see if i can find the video where he says all this.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

That’s what I thought, too.
Honestly? I do think he mentioned something like that in his encyclopedia… Didn’t he train and compete together with Franco originally? I might be wrong, of course, and he simply considered himself a powerlifter due to occasionally maxing out on a lift.
The point I’m trying to get across here is that squatting, benching, and deadlifting doesn’t make you a powerlifter. Of course. Doing those lifts in a competition does. There seems to be a fairly large contingent of young lifters posting in the powerlifting section on this site who think that simply lifting heavy means you are a powerlifter.

[/quote]
I’m not so sure about actual powerlifting, but he did compete in the Munich stone-lifting contest and set a record there. Maybe that’s what you read about

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Levrone competed in power lifting before he started bodybuilding. It’s actually how he got started. Competed in a powerlifting comp when he was 21, won it, then his coach convinced him to compete in the bodybuilding show later that night, and Levrone won that too. About a 1 1/2 years later Levrone turned pro. Quite the story eh?[/quote]

The dude’s a beast

Arnie definately competed in powerlifting