T Nation

Bodybuilders Train Wrong

Let’s face it, these guys have built the most muscle on the planet, but they just do it plan WRONG. Body part splits, isolation exercises - these are all inferior ways of training.

So what that these guys are huge and have built slabs of muscle training each bodypart once a week; they are on steroids, plus they have insane genetics.

We should all be training full body 3x a week, because scientific studies plainly say so.

Did I mention bodypart splits are inferior? You aren’t working any compounds, just isolation exercises done with high reps.

Don’t believe me? Arnold Schwarzenegger is often considered the greatest bodybuilder, and he just did isolation exercises with light weights.

Oh wait… I guess not.

Ok ok, that’s just Arnold…

But what about Ronnie Coleman? He is jacked, and he trains like a pussy too. Just high rep isolations, done ‘for the pump’. I mean, what’s up with that?

Uhh… well he has a background in powerlifting, so this doesn’t count.

Lets take someone else… Ha! Serge Nubret. He was often known for training with ‘light weights’ done for hihger reps. As you can see he just does isolation exercises with pink dumbbells.

Damn… I’m really not good at this.

Yes all beginners should train like pro bodybuilders.

Someone new to lifting should not waste as much time with isolation exercises and so much assistance work and the amount of volume PRO bodybuilders use.

Just because a pro bodybuilder has success with something doesn’t mean you will. The amount of volume they do 6 days a week will not work for most people BECAUSE they are chemically enhanced and genetically gifted.

Who is against body part splits? They are the most common way just about ANYONE trains, strongman and some power lifters even train on body part splits.

Also lol arnold didn’t just train with light weight. You think he build that much muscle training with light weight? Just because he used lighter weight with high reps-which was still heavy- AFTER he had a very solid base doesn’t mean he didn’t train heavy earlier in his career.

Yes, it is very sad that those clueless fools didn’t listen to some of the much more intelligent and well read newbies on this board. They could have made so much more progress if only they had downloaded some TBT info and quit those useless frequent trips to the gym OR all of those useless sets of exercises using really light weights.

I’m going to go find me a 170lbs newbie right now so I can learn how to do it right.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Yes all beginners should train like pro bodybuilders.

Someone new to lifting should not waste as much time with isolation exercises and so much assistance work and the amount of volume PRO bodybuilders use.

Just because a pro bodybuilder has success with something doesn’t mean you will. The amount of volume they do 6 days a week will not work for most people BECAUSE they are chemically enhanced and genetically gifted.

Who is against body part splits? They are the most common way just about ANYONE trains, strongman and some power lifters even train on body part splits.

Also lol arnold didn’t just train with light weight. You think he build that much muscle training with light weight? Just because he used lighter weight with high reps-which was still heavy- AFTER he had a very solid base doesn’t mean he didn’t train heavy earlier in his career. [/quote]

Who has EVER, I mean EVER, suggested that a newbie should match the volume of a pro bodybuilder?

Can you provide even ONE example of someone suggesting that?

If not, kindly stop making up arguments that no one has made.

None of that changes the basic concepts. I train a little differently now than when I first started. I used to train 2-3 body parts a day as a beginner on a 5 day a week schedule. There was no avoidance of isolation exercises. there was no avoidance of ANYTHING and I grew just fine…just like millions of others.

Not that its been advised, its just the beginners who THINK thats how they should train. Avoiding isolation for SOME things would be good for a beginner, like for legs for example. Don’t need them do tons of leg curls.

Assistance is necessary but not at the extent that it would be for someone who has been training for a long time. This is debatable though.

Its just I see tons of people new to lifting thinking ‘I need to train like Arnold to look like arnold’ thats not true and it won’t work. If you go to a commercial gym you’ll see all the newbies doing tons of super sets, very high volume yet there weak as shit to begin with and are not lifting anything.

Not to mention this thread is advising that the way pro bodybuilders train is the right and only way for all levels of experience.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Not that its been advised, its just the beginners who THINK thats how they should train. Avoiding isolation for SOME things would be good for a beginner, like for legs for example. Don’t need them do tons of leg curls. [/quote]

Stop. Just fucking stop. “tons of leg curls”? Because doing them at all should be avoided? because you can’t think of a world where someone could do a fucking leg curl without doing TONS of them? Because you simply can’t accept the thought of someone doing leg curls, squats, deadlifts and leg presses?

Why the fuck should a beginner avoid leg curls?

I have never seen a pro bodybuilder recommend that a flat out newbie should start out training just like they do right then. When someone asked about how I train right now, did you think that by me writing down what I do today that this means I am RECOMMENDING all beginners do exactly the same?

We already know that beginners recover faster which is why no one would recommend a one body part a day split to a rank newbie. I already fucking wrote that I started out doing 2-3 body parts a day, but for some very strange reason, you think this is insufficient for a newbie?

Stop regurgitating these notions from these authors just so you can sound like you know what you are talking about.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Not to mention this thread is advising that the way pro bodybuilders train is the right and only way for all levels of experience. [/quote]

Uh, no, that is not what he was getting at. He was using them as examples of people who use split routines. No where did he write that all beginners should start out lifting 405lbs on a bench press.

However, I am damn sure NOT going to jump into training and start doing what has produced the least results for the majority of the people going that route.

I keep asking, and I have yet to see a poster here who went from skinny to “wow, he could compete as a heavyweight” from doing TBT all of the way through. If they are here, please point them out.

I don’t know where you get the idea your to blame. This thread was a satire, I don’t know what it was referring to only that it was basically showing lots of bodybuilders and saying the way they train is the way you should train. Thats how it came off to me, thats how a lot of posts come off also like ‘it works for them right, so you should do it’ and this is the mindset of a lot of people that they should train like them.

[quote]shizen wrote:
I don’t know where you get the idea your to blame. This thread was a satire, I don’t know what it was referring to only that it was basically showing lots of bodybuilders and saying the way they train is the way you should train. Thats how it came off to me, thats how a lot of posts come off also like ‘it works for them right, so you should do it’ and this is the mindset of a lot of people that they should train like them.

[/quote]

Have you considered for one moment that they SHOULD train like them only using common sense to understand the level they are at? The basic concepts don’t change.

Focus on a muscle group and work it sufficiently. Avoid grouping so many body parts on one day that you can’t give enough focus to any one muscle group. Group large muscle groups with smaller ones so that you aren’t so fatigued that you can’t train each one with high intensity and heavy weight and then allow rest.

THAT is split training. You are saying this doesn’t work?

I doubt seriously that someone who is trying to do legs, shoulders, back and chest all on one day is able to train any one of those muscle groups sufficiently to allow the most growth. This has been proven for decades since the biggest bodies were not built using TBT in majority, especially using some of the splits I see on this board like that 3 day a week nonsense that many believe is superior.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
shizen wrote:

Have you considered for one moment that they SHOULD train like them only using common sense to understand the level they are at? The basic concepts don’t change.

Focus on a muscle group and work it sufficiently. Avoid grouping so many body parts on one day that you can’t give enough focus to any one muscle group. Group large muscle groups with smaller ones so that you aren’t so fatigued that you can’t train each one with high intensity and heavy weight and then allow rest.

THAT is split training. You are saying this doesn’t work?

I doubt seriously that someone who is trying to do legs, shoulders, back and chest all on one day is able to train any one of those muscle groups sufficiently to allow the most growth. This has been proven for decades since the biggest bodies were not built using TBT in majority, especially using some of the splits I see on this board like that 3 day a week nonsense that many believe is superior.[/quote]

Yeah I agree with that

burn in bodybuilder hell aka McDonalds ~ enjoy your big mac. hehe :wink: thanks for the comedy.

If it makes you guys feel any better I’ve read people criticize how Olympic and professional athletes train because it didn’t match up with articles they’ve read online… So it isn’t just bodybuilding coming under fire.

If you want to look like a Bodybuilder, train like he trained when he looked like you do now.