Bodybuilders that Do Not get Talked About Much

Successful bbers I mean. Any that you think dont get much attention in discussions despite their records. I may be wrong but lee haney doesnt come up much in online bb talk yet was hugely succesful

Might be wrong about that but anyway - any others?

[quote]gswork wrote:
Successful bbers I mean. Any that you think dont get much attention in discussions despite their records. I may be wrong but lee haney doesnt come up much in online bb talk yet was hugely succesful

Might be wrong about that but anyway - any others?
[/quote]

I agree with you saying Lee Haney. I couldn’t think of any others besides him. I mean, Lee Haney holds the most Olympia wins (obviously alongside Ronnie Coleman) but I don’t know much about him, and I rarely see his name come up online. What a shame.

chris benoit

[quote]solidkhalid wrote:
chris benoit[/quote]

yea, i never understood why haney hardly gets mentioned. I remember when I was first getting into BBing i saw a picture of him and was like who the hell is this dude!? After doing some searching I was shocked to find out how successful he was and wondered why I had never heard of him. Maybe it’s because the mass monsters (not saying Haney was small by any means) started to take over right after, and visually they are more awe inspiring and Haney was quickly eschewed aside.

Rich Gaspari

Andreas Munzer

Vince Taylor

Lee Labrada

etc…

I think with Haney it’s more a matter of his being pre-internet age of bodybuilding. You have so many non-Olympia IFBB pros these days with considerable online followings, and it all comes down to being tech and PR savvy more so than a top caliber physique in a lot of cases.
So many young kids I talk to in the gym lately seem to think that Bodybuilding either started with Jay, or possibly Ronnie if they’re a bit older or just better read (and of course they all know Arnold -lol)

S

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
Rich Gaspari

Andreas Munzer

Vince Taylor

Lee Labrada

etc…[/quote]
i saw a documentary on the 1988 olympia featuring gaspari, labrada, haney and others - it was a real blast from the past. Bob Paris was in too and talked about as becoming the ‘look’ of the 90’s - little did they know that actually Dorian and Ronnie would be the look of the 90’s. it was very interesting stuff

Ill agree with Haney. Not just because he was successful, but he still is one of the most genetically gifted and aesthetically pleasing guys to ever step on the O stage in my opinion.

Maybe its just me but i feel like Levrone doesnt get nearly enough love as well.

Articles from the 1940’s-1960’s body building era have always engaged my interest.

Want to hear their life stories mostly because bodybuilding wasn’t as popular a pastime as it is today. They certainly didn’t have the number of gyms, competitions/prize money and supplement sponsor contracts available to so many pros today. What motivated them to lift weights in an era where people didn’t dress as revealing as they do today? They weren’t bombarded with the body images that we take for granted.

Schwarzenegger, Stallone/Rambo, Terry Crews, Dwayne Johnson/Rock have carved an image in many minds as to what our form should resemble today. Did earlier body builders have icons for inspiration before today’s all encompassing media…24/7 cable, hundreds of magazines covers and internet?

Armand Tanny

John Grimeck

Clarence Ross

More modern but still old school lifters like Dave Draper and Mike Mentzer could stand to get talked about a bit more as well.

I like looking at body building mags from the late 1990’s to see all the superb supplements that are no longer available because they were such great sellers. heh

Now what DOESN’T EVER need to be talked about much are the ridiculously gay blue jean cut off shorts (I mean cut gay short) and sleeveless shirts the pro’s would be dressed in for 1990’s magazine photos. How could they have allowed themselves to be manipulated to such embarrassment.

Lastly in my opinion Joe Weider stories are overblown and I could do without hearing them for the 1ooth time and let’s hope they rest with him for awhile.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:
Maybe its just me but i feel like Levrone doesnt get nearly enough love as well.
[/quote]

Really? I’ve seen a lot of talk about Levrone on the internet and heard a lot IRL as well.

I don’t think Dexter Jackson or Victor Martinez get enough mention. I agree about Mentzer as well. And of course, Eugen Sandow.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:
[/quote]

Really? I’ve seen a lot of talk about Levrone on the internet and heard a lot IRL as well.

I don’t think Dexter Jackson or Victor Martinez get enough mention. I agree about Mentzer as well. And of course, Eugen Sandow.[/quote]

Considering Dex was a recent O winner, yeah he doesnt get as much mention as you’d think. However until recently i think Vic was talked about all the time. He’s been out of the spotlight now for a while but if he returns to form im sure we’ll see his name tossed around a lot again.

Anyone who competes for the 212 olympia

Bob Paris.

At a time when everyone who follows the sport is trumpeting guys who posess considerable mass, yet also displaying a well placed focus on asthetics, you would think Paris’s name would come up from time to time. Towards the end of his comeptitive run (when he started toying with GH a bit), he was pretty damn huge, but also kept his trademark ‘lines’.

S

Bertil Fox is one of my all time favorites and if he hadn’t murdered someone very few people would know who he was.

Gaspari
Albert Beckles
Boyer Coe’s Arms

And even though he gets talked about, Sergio Oliva doesn’t get enough credit for being as truly exceptional as he was when he was.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Anyone who competes for the 212 olympia[/quote]

very good call… though flex lewis is getting a fair bit of attention… he certainly deserves it though

he’s a freak for sure

It is a crime that everyone forgot Orville Burke.

Fucking criminal.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Anyone who competes for the 212 olympia[/quote]

very good call… though flex lewis is getting a fair bit of attention… he certainly deserves it though

he’s a freak for sure[/quote]

Most of the 212 guys are freaks. I stood next to Al Aguste a few months ago when he was trainig at my gym, wtf. All I can say. After Franco there was Shawn Ray and Preist, but since then I haven’t seen any short guys get much mainstream love. I get that the 212 category was supposed to ‘even’ the playing field but really it just took the shorter guys out of the biggest stage.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Fucking criminal.[/quote]

Had to google him. Very impressive.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Fucking criminal.[/quote]

Had to google him. Very impressive.[/quote]

I am choked up that you had to google him.

That guy had one of the best backs ever yet never gets credit for it.