Bodybuilders, Feel Misunderstood?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
redfreddy wrote:
IronGame08 wrote:
For instance, I’m currently bulking, and when I’m out and about on campus I carry around a gallon jug of water. People stare at me when I take a big pull from it in the middle of class, or someone sitting next to me will jokingly remark “Thats a lot of water…” with a dumbass smile on their face, like its a fuckin joke. What the fuck do I say to this?

I think, herein lies your problem…when someone says something jokingly, they usually are joking.

Yeah, a fitness lifestyle is misunderstood. A lot of jokes may have to do with people really just being jealous of your commitment and discipline. When they poke fun, just laugh along, and know the truth in the back of your head. And, hell, sometimes it is just a friendly busting of chops.

I think everyine has to be able to laugh at themselves once in a while.

Well said. If you take yourself too seriously, it borders on insanity. Yes, carrying around a gallon jug of water IS a lot of water.
[/quote]

Absolutely!

Do you ever make a joke about a lawyer, a doctor, garbageman, or pencil necked geek? I swear most of these posts are for self gratification or you are indeed insanely rapped up in yourself or your pursuit that you fail to see that it DOES look strange to see someone pulling off a gallon container.

Even ‘fit’ people may not understand the dedicated bb lifestyle. So what. Either explain or blow it off. The other thing the prof said that rings quite true is–the bigger you get the less people ask. It becomes quite obvious why you may be eating or drinking more than most.

You’re gonna get some of this no matter what. But I don’t see why you have to publicize the way you do. Why carry around a gallon jug? It’s a pain in the ass anyhow. Are there not water fountains where you are? Carry around a water bottle and refill it between classes. You don’t need to be talking about how many meals a day you eat. Just eat.

Do what you need to do. As for the lunch lady, who cares what she thinks? Anyhow, it’s nothing personal. From her prespective, coming up 5 times is the same whether it’s a 230 lb guy with low body fat or the 300lb moo coming for her third helping of pie.

Generally people that are at some point great at something have been persecuted more than praised.

[quote]comedypedro wrote:

And the classic…

“It’ll all turn to fat someday you know”

[/quote]

My parents and their friends and other people of that age are big on this one.

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
For instance, I’m currently bulking, and when I’m out and about on campus I carry around a gallon jug of water. People stare at me when I take a big pull from it in the middle of class, or someone sitting next to me will jokingly remark “Thats a lot of water…” with a dumbass smile on their face, like its a fuckin joke. What the fuck do I say to this?[/quote]

a) My syphilis hurts less if I drink a lot of liquids…

b) I’m thirsty…

a) I’m feeding the homeless living out behind the dorm…

b) I’m hungry…

Say, Okay, I’ll sacrifice my eating principles and let loose, but only if you put out!

or uh, ya know… go on dates on your cheat days.

My favorite ones are the comments you get when you explain the Velocity Diet to people.

“Wait… you haven’t eaten anything in 3 weeks?”

“Isnt thats super unhealthy for you?”

“You aren’t insanely sick yet?”

I just admit to the fact thats its crazy and abnormal…but sometimes you have to act abnormal to look abnormal. While I am not the biggest guy on the block (yet) I am getting closer every day.

Prof X wrote:

[quote]
After making some comment about lifting most of my life one of her friends then asks, “are you a stripper?”. Needless to say, ego was feeling pretty good at that time. All else can go to hell if I can get that response from women. [/quote]

XEXE. That happen’ to me like month ago. Couple of girls (5 ro 6 years older than me) after long and thorough investigation of my body and my sexy moves(yeah, I dance at tha club)caught me when I was going to toilet and asked me I if would stripp at this girls batchelor party. NO WAY. My ego almost went trough the roof. And by the way they were all HOT as hell.

If I end up somehow as a stipper at that party, pray for me. (They said that they are not responsible for their actions at the party).

And would this happen if I was like 160 lbs guy and not some 225, 6’‘3’ hot peace of meat with a killer looks.:slight_smile: NO.

A woman recently returned to work in our office and told me i was putting on weight - i said thanks and that really confused her :slight_smile:
At 280 ish i do have fat around my waist but look so much better than people in work who weigh 100lbs+ less than me. Either just agree with people, play their game and be a sarcastic sob (like me - though in a joking manner) or just ignore them.

I can’t remember who said it but “there are two absolutes in life - you gotta pay taxes and most people are morons” lol
Be good!

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Well said. If you take yourself too seriously, it borders on insanity. Yes, carrying around a gallon jug of water IS a lot of water.

I readily admit that it may look unusual that I carry around a gallon jug. But it is lugged around out of necessity. I leave my place in the morning, and don’t get back until evening. Further, I don’t like refilling regular-sized water bottles because I lose track of how much I am consuming, and most of the water fountains around campus have an extremely low volume of water that comes out. As a result, I am left standing at the fountain for literally five minutes. I finally said “fuck it” and started using gallon jugs.[/quote]

nevermind the added resistance training of walking round all day with a few extra on you (;

You get bothered when they give you crap at the cafeteria? I take great pride in pissing off the cafeteria workers on my campus when I go back for 4th helpings.

Not so much pissed off, but I get amused when they know exactly what I want and roll their eyes.

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
For instance, I’m currently bulking, and when I’m out and about on campus I carry around a gallon jug of water. People stare at me when I take a big pull from it in the middle of class, or someone sitting next to me will jokingly remark “Thats a lot of water…” with a dumbass smile on their face, like its a fuckin joke. What the fuck do I say to this?[/quote]

“I have to use this much water so they don’t smell the vodka.”

It’s not funny, but being drunk is cooler then healthy.

i get the worst from family. My mother doesn’t understand why i did all my own cooking when i lived with her. I tried explaining my needs but it wasn’t acceptable. My father is conviced that i’m going to kill myself by getting bigger. He constantly points out dead bodybuilders.

the most recent was the tlc ‘arms exploded’ valentine guy or whatever his name was. I get compared to guys who use steroids and inject insulin and shit. he also tried to tell me overeating more was a sure way to die young. Its frustrating as hell.

i always get the ‘why do you even bother’ from friends. Some people just don’t understand. I don’t think alot of us fully understand why we train either, so unless you have a well thought out answer for these questions just avoid them.

I sometimes get this at work, when I’m having my 3rd lunch. The boss will say “Damn, that’s a lot of food”. Then I usually say “Yep. That’s the entire point”.

Look at it logically. It IS a lot of food or water and that IS the point. Take it in your stride, don’t take it too seriously, or, you could wear it like a badge of honour.

People that let this interfere with their life too much are fucking daft. If you go out on a date with some hottie (not Lee Hottie, of course) and all you can think about is the fact that this restaurant does have any P and F meals, then go the fuck home. You aren’t giving your date the attention she/he deserves, and you’re giving the rest of us a bad name.

Some of you are like struggling painters with your whole “I must suffer for my art” bullshit that you go on with.

[quote]Massif wrote:
I sometimes get this at work, when I’m having my 3rd lunch. The boss will say “Damn, that’s a lot of food”. Then I usually say “Yep. That’s the entire point”.

Look at it logically. It IS a lot of food or water and that IS the point. Take it in your stride, don’t take it too seriously, or, you could wear it like a badge of honour.

People that let this interfere with their life too much are fucking daft. If you go out on a date with some hottie (not Lee Hottie, of course) and all you can think about is the fact that this restaurant does have any P and F meals, then go the fuck home. You aren’t giving your date the attention she/he deserves, and you’re giving the rest of us a bad name.

Some of you are like struggling painters with your whole “I must suffer for my art” bullshit that you go on with.[/quote]

I love that line about the ‘starving artist’ correlation.
Some of these posts border on neurosis with their worries about having an apple with some fat within 30 minutes exactly of my last rep…

I work with a lot of Bosnians (about 60-70% of the workers at the factory) and just about every day at break I see a group of middle aged ladies that are very blunt about talking about me eating veggetables from a bag, and sometimes a protein drink (mostly about the veggies though).

They are very rude about it. I see one nod tward me, say something in Bosnian, then two others strain their necks and look right at me, the veggies, then me again. I just stare back at them, waiting for them to ask a question or say something.

Anything would be better than the blatent rudeness that I get just about every day. And it’s about vegetables! They’re all eating chips or snickers, gulping down gatorades and looking at me like I’m crazy.

I’ve had another lady come up to me and ask if it’s working, I asked her, if what’s working. She said “Your diet.” so I just said yea, but I’ve been eating like this for a couple years now, so it’s not like what most people think of with the word “diet”.

She was shocked that I wasn’t trying to lose weight, as if that’s the only goal one can have while eating healthy.

A few people I work with are cool about it and just ask questions because they don’t know much about what I’m doing, so I tell them and they accept it. Those are the people I try to associate myself with more often.

I totally understand.I could care less if some little blondy college slut says I’m no fun because I don’t drink til my liver explodes.

I hear these attention whores bitch about every single thing.My girl friend always goes on and on about me.I go to the gym to workout with my friends and her and her 400 sack of shit lard ass friend are downing tubs of candy and are making fun of me saying all I do is exercise.Yeah,4 times a week sure is a lot.What a load of crap.

I never thought I’d see the day where you’re called a freak for caring about your health and putting on mass,but lard asses downing hundreds of sodas and candy bars don’t get looked at that way anymore.It’s sad.

How about we take a look outside the box? Allow me to take the the normal people’s side.

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:

What if i were to take a gallon jug of milk to school to get in those extra calories. Or what if a harder-core bodybuilder were to take a 5 gallon water jug to school with them? Its a bit extreme, but to the average person a 1 gallon jug is a bit much to “take a pull from” in the middle of class. To them you look rediculous.

I’d bet a lot of people see the water jug thing as a big dick contest. Like you are trying to cram the fact that you workout down their throats. Hopefully you aren’t showing off your waterbottle with a smug look on your face.

I understand sometimes with those eating plans you can only go in the cafeteria so often. Like you can go in there for 3 meals a day, all you can eat or something. So maybe that justifies going back to get 5ths and 6th portions. But again, to the average person that is over-indulgent. If this is your meal plan, i understand though. If not, why not eat more often and less at one time?

I used to have this workout partner in his mid 30’s. The guy was a captain in the military and had an MBA and led a totally structured life. He used to eat completely healthy, completely on time, had a set bed time, woke up the same time and probably ate the same thing every day. He was always on time, always got shit done, etc etc. Cool guy, but if I was a girl, I wouldn’t date him. He is like chicken with no hot sauce(or BBQ). Imagine eating plain tuna with nothing on it every day. Or watching “The league of extrordinary gentlemen” repeatedly. Maybe thats how you came off? Not so extraordinary.

Basically she doesn’t want some duddy guy, she wants someone who will have fun with her without having a chimp on his back or however that saying goes.

As a side note: Women are funny(the ones that don’t workout), they enjoy all the benefits of you working out. They like how you look and your amazing hip thrusting action in bed. But when it comes down to you actually going to the gym, they will get pissy because you aren’t doing what they want.

In short, Bodybuilding is a very very VERY small niche of people in the grand population of the world. How can you expect everyone to automatically identify with your needs? Your post just came off as self-involved.

Sorry if that sounds like a flame. I don’t mean any disrespect by it, thats just how I think the average non-gym-rat would see it.

Half those comments don’t sound mean. They are neutral comments. I think your a little too self concious of standing out.

Especially with girls, They spoke to you. They never speak to ME. Girls dont open skinny bastards. Dont be an arsehole or be overly contrite, just take it for what it was: Getting the attention of a big guy that stands out. Quality problems. Stop your whinning. As for guys, if hes standing next to a girl its worth responding too =)

[quote]Massif wrote:

Some of you are like struggling painters with your whole “I must suffer for my art” bullshit that you go on with.[/quote]

Well-put!