Bodybuilders are Porkers

[quote]Good title and article by the way. This is the most valuable thing I can ever tell anyone. To “follow the source”. I didn’t read anything about bodybuilding when I first started. I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger in the “Terminator” and said “I want to look like that.” My dad knew a little bit about building muscle and gave me a few tips. A short time down the road, my dad would buy me everything there was that I could read about this man and how he trained; that’s about the same time I started to take off. I WENT STRAIGHT TO THE SOURCE. I extrapolated everything I could from the best bodybuilder in the world.

I could give a fuck less what anybody else had to say. He had the best body and I wanted to know how he did it and what HE did… not some douchebag wrestling coach with a fitness degree.

Find the source fellas. I’m sure everyone has one that is perfect for their intended goals.

[/quote]

That’s fine, if your sources do not lie. Arnold has bee known to bullshit people. He will take some of his secrets to the grave. That’s just Arnold. A lot of guy in this business lie like hell, because they do not want people to know about thier chemical expertise. So, sources are great, make sure they are honest.

I agree. Between here and Ross Enamaits, I am in the best shape of my life.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Indeed. I’m all-for advancement in the thoughts and processes of training and nutrition, but sometimes I feel like people come up with stuff just for the sake of saying something different.
[/quote]

That’s exactly what they’re doing. Then they’ll name this “method” after themselves. It is really quite amusing.

Most of their articles are marketing schticks. Guys have to separate themselves from thousands of similarly situated trainers, and thus they make shit up. Someone likes that shit, and then follows the link at the bottom of the article to some overpriced book or program.

Of course, these comments to not apply to articles like Mike Boyle’s. His article was taken out of context. he never said deads were bad. He simply said the risk of injury, measured against the benefits obtained from the exercise, weren’t worth it for a pro athelete.

As for the marketers on this site… It gets stale, and I often wonder why I keep reading.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Good title and article by the way. This is the most valuable thing I can ever tell anyone. To “follow the source”. I didn’t read anything about bodybuilding when I first started. I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger in the “Terminator” and said “I want to look like that.” My dad knew a little bit about building muscle and gave me a few tips. A short time down the road, my dad would buy me everything there was that I could read about this man and how he trained; that’s about the same time I started to take off. I WENT STRAIGHT TO THE SOURCE. I extrapolated everything I could from the best bodybuilder in the world.

I could give a fuck less what anybody else had to say. He had the best body and I wanted to know how he did it and what HE did… not some douchebag wrestling coach with a fitness degree.

Find the source fellas. I’m sure everyone has one that is perfect for their intended goals.

That’s fine, if your sources do not lie. Arnold has bee known to bullshit people. He will take some of his secrets to the grave. That’s just Arnold. A lot of guy in this business lie like hell, because they do not want people to know about thier chemical expertise. So, sources are great, make sure they are honest.
[/quote]

That was just an example. Arnold was my base for basics and intensity. I learned at a young age to do the basics, do them heavy and give it more than just the good ole “college try”. Besides that, I saw plenty of his training on video and in pictures. Doesn’t take a genius to figure out that he just did the basics, but he did them past the painthreshold of most people… that’s his only secret. Everyone wants the “secret” routine or exercises. There isn’t one. Arnold did curls and bench presses and flyes like everyone else, but I can tell you this much… his intensity and mindset wasn’t the same as everyone elses. The best source I had was a pro-bodybuilder in my gym when I was very young. I aslo met another pro in another gym in high school. I would mimic both of their workouts. How much lieing can they be doing when they’re doing it in front of my eyes?

The point being. If you see a guy with 30" thighs doing heavy squats… chances are you might want to try that exercise and see hows he’s performing that exercise.

I am new to T-Nation and I think its its an awesome site. It’s where the authorities come to play. I have studied exercise science and nutrition for half my life. I took a particular interest in what was said about BB routines and such…I am 32 years old and have been into bodybuildling since I was in my teens. Im not a “huge” guy, but have a very balanced physique and have stayed under 10% for as long as I can remember. I also have a degree in Human Performance and nutrition and have owned a PT business for many years and have obtained many certifications and attended many lectures over the years.

I became so conditioned and wired to perform BB style workouts up until about a year ago, I fell into a rut and became extremely bored. In the past year I took a break from the BB’ing thing and started to do some “Hybrid Training”, incorporating some olympic style lifts, some strong man training, more ball work, kettle bell work, powerlifting, etc… and also made it a point to address all my muscular imbalances that I had developed through neglect of certain movements and exercises and overusing machines.

I feel since I have made it a point to incorporate all these other disciplines that I have developed a much stronger overall body. My core strength is much better, more athletic, more flexible, etc…I will go back to BB style routines but will certainly incorporate other disciplines into my training…why not get the best of everything??

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:

I’d like to point out that I personally am not talking about the articles posted here on T-Nation, but rather the majority of what is espoused throughout the forums.

It seems to me the people most hell-bent on back lashing against something, whether it be bodypart splits, high protein/calorie intake, whatever, are always the people that don’t have any results to back up their bullshit propaganda.[/quote]

I should have made myself more clear, as well, in that I was thinking not only of the articles, though that is still a big part of it, but the overall general trend. You wonder how so many people in the forums could just happen to take the articles in just that way that it becomes a meme on this site that people who bulked to 15% could have made the exact same results, better, actually, in the same amount of time if they had stayed under 10%. Or that cardio won’t do anything for fat loss. Or take your pick. Others aren’t making themselves clear either, apparently.

I think the problem is not with the authors themselves, but with their fanboys. We’ve all seen the results of CT’s training, both in himself and some of his clients. I’m sure Mike Boyle’s done some great work with athletes as well- just name name the authors of two recent, controversial articles.

The point is that THEY get good results from THEIR system, because they know how to implement it and how to adjust things for different people. Just like whatever Arnold did worked for Arnold and may or may not work for you- the point is that you have to evaluate things for YOUSELF and figure out what works for YOU.

The problem with that approach, of course, is that it takes hard work. As great as the internet has been (I know I’ve learned a ton from this site and others), there is a big downside to it in that it has created a culture where everybody expects to be spoonfed everything. This is especially true with people my age (I’m 19) who have that instant-gratification mentality and don’t realize that the real power of training is its cumulative effect over time, not what it will do for you tommorow.

Anyway, that’s my rant on the topic…

[quote]shawninjapan wrote:
This post is a reaction to DPH’s post below, from the thread in which the guy is worried about deadlifting screwing up his back.

DPH wrote:
DEAR GOD, WHAT EVER YOU DO DON’T DEADLIFT, AN ‘EXPERT’ T-Nation WRITER (EVERYONE KNOWS THESE GUYS KNOW ALL, AND EVERYONE THAT DISSAGREES WITH THEM IS STUPID) SAYS THEY’RE WAY TOO DANGEROUS…NO NO NO NO DEADLIFTING! DEADLIFTING WILL KILL YOU!

sorry I had to shout all that…

this place has seriously gone to shit…

I certainly have been noticing a massive influx of articles by many of the regular writers espousing “rules” that almost appear to be laid out just to contradict classical bodybuilding protocols, which have worked for years. What works isn’t going to change, so why, recently, all of this backlash against all of it, from “bodypart splits suck the pus from a rat’s infected asshole” to “steady state cardio is absolutely, positively, in all cases, useless,” to, “don’t ever go over 10 percent body fat or your heart will spontaneously explode!?!?!” I know, I exaggerate, but not much. I guess it’s the disease of modern times, that what’s old, even if it is true, just don’t sell, so all those guys who built superhuman bodies using old fashioned big boy bulks, working individual body parts into the ground and going home, and doing hours of cardio in preparation for a show weren’t doing it right. Must have been the genetics. And the roids.

I’m getting excellent results off of my plain vanilla body part split program I make for myself, have gotten myself down to pretty low bf% using basic dieting and lots of cardio (and it wasn’t just the broccoli that got me to 6%), and am now gaining steadily at somewhere above 12% bf where I was completely unable to gain any weight for a year trying to stay at or under 10%.

I still love this website, but I gotta agree with DPH somewhat. What the hell is going on here lately? Seems like some of these guys should know better.[/quote]

That’s pretty extreme thinking. The advice that T-Nation writers give is is not claimed to be set in stone, and in most cases are just guidelines for optimization, not DO’S! and DON’TS! PERIOD! The writer’s advice is also for the most part true (scientifically backed), and it sells. I certainly still buy truth.

I believe Dan John said it best - “Everything works…for a while.”

“If its not broken don’t fix it”

Nothing wrong with trying to get new info about old things.

Last time I checked a discussion about preventing injury with one of the basic compound movements wasn’t a substitute for “Don’t deadlift, it will mess you up”.

Reading comprehension.