'Bodybuilders Ain't Strong'

[quote]drewh wrote:
They are much weaker in comparison to elite powerlifters, and some athletes by weight class. Still very strong, but not as strong.[/quote]

LOL

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
Professor X wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
krazykoukides wrote:
jo3 wrote:

Is this really the case? I’m sure if any bodybuilder came into my gym, everyone would think they’re damn strong. If anything, I think it’s the other way around - that the general public think all bodybuilders are strong, when an argument could be made that powerlifters are stronger. But I guess that discussion is already happening in this thread.

Those are the people actually going to the gym though:)

I’ve met alot of reallyyyy skinny guys who thought they were stronger than big guys and/or could beat the hell out of people with arms bigger than their legs.

I was guilty of that for a while.

Sounds like you had a severe case of little man syndrome.

LOL.

Isn’t that the case with all of the people who do that?

It takes a person with issues to look at someone with muscles 3 times bigger than their own and jump to some conclusion that they could beat them up just based on the fact that…they have bigger muscles.

Lol I feel so retarded.

I am so lucky I was not trashed on so many occasions… it’s truly embarassing.[/quote]

Your current view of yourself seems like you should be fine going forward.

It shows a lot of maturity and will to admit our faults. Not everyone can honestly evaluate themselves. Congrats.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
drewh wrote:
They are much weaker in comparison to elite powerlifters, and some athletes by weight class. Still very strong, but not as strong.

LOL[/quote]

X, I’m sure we can agree that it is absolutely idiotic to think that someone who spends countless years going to the gym for a few hours a day five days a week with their main focus on gaining strength in order to build muscle would not be on the same level as elite powerlifters and athletes.

Take any of Levrones and Ronnies lifts that I put up in those vids and add 50 pounds to the lifts and double the reps and that’s the kind of weight they move in the off season. People don’t realize that these vids are taped 2 weeks before the olympia when these guys are carb depleted and at their weakest, and still stronger than 99.9% of gym goers including power lifters.

I will agree that the strongest power lifters are stronger than bodybuilders however the most elite bodybuilders can surely hold there own and are stronger than a very very large majority of strength athletes and power lifters. The weights Ronnie and Levrone lift with the form they use is unbeliavable because bodybuilding style lifts are more orientated to the contraction of the muscle rather than ultimate power which does make them harder.

Really we can say power lifters and bodybuilders are the same in that they both focus on getting as strong as fuck in particular movements however the difference lies at the reason why they do this.

Tell me all the powerlifters that can double 800lbs on the deadlift without a deadlift suit on, and that’s definetely not the most Ronnie can do.

The people who think bodybuilders are weak are the ones who think all lifts should look identical, from person to person, programs need following to a T etc. More misinformed, ever heard a strength coach not mention functional? Fairly obvious that with that much muscle you’re going to be strong as fuck.

When it comes to powerlifters vs bodybuilders i’ve always thought the only difference is that one competes for physique, and one for the 3 big lifts. I mean, they both eat, lift and sleep big. Right?

Thise vids were brilliant, especially ben white.

One day :stuck_out_tongue:

Why is that funny I remember Christian Thibaudeau saying an athlete he trained Pascal Coran benched 425 at 167 pounds thats pretty close to one of these bodybuilders at a much lower weight.

Uh oh. Here comes relative strength.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Tell me all the powerlifters that can double 800lbs on the deadlift without a deadlift suit on, and that’s definetely not the most Ronnie can do.[/quote]

just throwin this out there, deadlift suits only give a good 30-40 lbs. So id say quite a few

[quote]drewh wrote:
Why is that funny I remember Christian Thibaudeau saying an athlete he trained Pascal Coran benched 425 at 167 pounds thats pretty close to one of these bodybuilders at a much lower weight. [/quote]

You’re not going to win this argument, simply put generalizing bodybuilders as weak or any generalizing any demographic is stupid to begin with, however citing some random case vs the hundreds of body builders who can bench over 400 isn’t exactly going to prove you’re right. Bodybuilders and Powerlifters train in different ways so I don’t really think it is fair to compare the two, I’m sure most successful bodybuilders would do fine against successful powerlifters, but also I’m sure that if most successful powerlifters decided to cut and focus more on bodybuilding aspect of lifting weights they would do fine in a contest vs successful bodybuilders. While both train in different ways I think that with a few minor tweaks both parties would do fine in the others expertise area.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Uh oh. Here comes relative strength.[/quote]

Because by that law ronnie coleman has only the fraction of the strength of an ant.

Edit: Damn i think that jokes been done :confused:

I used to believe that they were not strong. But being on T-Nation has shown me the light!

[quote]mr popular wrote:
OMG EW:

- YouTube [/quote]

Dude just benched 200 pounds over his body weight, in a comp, raw, without even a belt. That is not easy to do anytime anywhere.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
I’m pretty sure theres a vid of Levrone repping out 405 on the INCLINE.[/quote]

yep on bfto 1998 and 2002

Dave Tate once said,when you train for strength primarily,size is a side effect of it but to a lesser extent as if you were to train primarily for size.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
mr popular wrote:
Personally I am much more impressed by someone who can bench 405lbs, with little arch, for 10 reps (or even 10 partials off the chest), than I am by seeing someone bench 500lbs with a huge arch, using leg drive, a super-wide grip, tucked elbows, and bringing the bar down to their belly.

LOL.

I can do more than 405 for 10 reps and I STILL find benching 500 fucking pounds for that many reps to be impressive.

Few people have enough strength in their arms, shoulders or chest to even HOLD that much weight, let alone rep out with it.

Give credit where credit is due.[/quote]

Agree 100%. 505x9 is damn impressive ANY way you look at it. The fact that he make it look pretty easy is scary

Bertil Fox Bench Drop set (starts with around 505 I believe)

Bertil Fox BB Curls

Tom Platz squats

UH OH

UH OH

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
Bertil Fox Bench Drop set (starts with around 505 I believe)

Bertil Fox BB Curls

Tom Platz squats

[/quote]

I’ve always liked Bertil Fox, wish there were more vids of him.

I believe I recall seeing in the McGrath vids that he was repping at 495 or so as well.

[quote]taleb wrote:
UH OH

UH OH

i think theres another one too

but seriously, this guy is fucking 12 days out from a show repping 405x6

he must be what on 30 grams of carbs and probably at 6-8% bodyfat. thats way more impressive to me than any robocop shirt, pot belly touching, huge arch, 2 inch ROM bench press.

Ben White & Jonnie Jackson are having a bench press & deadlift competition at this years Olympia, which I think is a great idea and may even get some people to take bodybuilders more seriously (as athletes).

What do you think?