'Bodybuilders Ain't Strong'

[quote] Matt wrote:
mr popular wrote:
I was talking about the people who criticize bodybuilders for repping out heavy weights, stating that they aren’t really “strong” because other people can bench 100lbs more than them… when in reality the bench press they’re referring to is a 4 inch range of motion.

Real powerlifters know strong is strong. Geared, raw, reps, or singles, strong is strong. Anyone you hear saying otherwise is probably some keyboard warrior or "did a meet once back before I hurt my [shoulder/back/knee].

[/quote]

There are shitload of “keyboard warriors” on this site…apparently including one or two authors if the idea of “sarcoplasmic hypertrophy” is still being thrown around to describe bodybuilders vs everyone else.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I think it’s safe to say that most bodybuilders probably couldn’t do what powerlifters do and most powerlifters couldn’t do what bodybuilders do.

They train differently so they’re going to be better at different things.[/quote]

In all honesty, I have never seen a serious powerlifter act like 250lbs bodybuilders are weak. It is usually only coming from guys who are nowhere near that size and never have been who saw some huge bodybuilder using a lighter weight in the gym and jumped to the conclusion that this was ALL they could do.

I warm up for nearly 10 min when training biceps. If some idiot thought the weight he saw me move during that period was ALL I could do then I can see why this stupidity lasted so long.

I know many larger bodybuilders who NOW use lighter weight in an effort to feel the muscle more and stimulate more growth through volume…but that heavy weight is what got them that big in the first place.

I just have never seen the guy with the 55" muscular chest who can’t bench press 300lbs. This does not seem to occur in nature.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:
“Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but dont no body wanna lift this heavy ass weight!!”[/quote]

Lol, sometimes the simplest advice is the best.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Professor X wrote:
mr popular wrote:
Personally I am much more impressed by someone who can bench 405lbs, with little arch, for 10 reps (or even 10 partials off the chest), than I am by seeing someone bench 500lbs with a huge arch, using leg drive, a super-wide grip, tucked elbows, and bringing the bar down to their belly.

LOL.

I can do more than 405 for 10 reps and I STILL find benching 500 fucking pounds for that many reps to be impressive.

Few people have enough strength in their arms, shoulders or chest to even HOLD that much weight, let alone rep out with it.

Give credit where credit is due.

I wasn’t referring to the Ben White video, obviously that was a pretty incredible feat of strength.

I was talking about the people who criticize bodybuilders for repping out heavy weights, stating that they aren’t really “strong” because other people can bench 100lbs more than them… when in reality the bench press they’re referring to is a 4 inch range of motion.

I would go as far as to say that bodybuilders are stronger than powerlifters in many many areas.[/quote]

I disagree.

Is there some life registration card where you have to check power lifter or body builder as mutually exclusive choices? Did I miss that somewhere?

The part you are missing is that most of the guys in the videos either are currently, or at least have been, both. Heck several of those â??bodybuilderâ?? videos are of powerlifting competitions.

I mean, the videos really should do as much to expel the â??powerlifters are fatâ?? myth as the â??bodybuilders are weakâ?? myth.

Since when do powerlifters not build their bodies, and bodybuilders not build their strength? Muscle building is a fundamental part of powerlifting and moving weight is a fundamental part of bodybuilding.

I always think itâ??s funny when body building guys put up Jonnie Jackson as an argument that body builders arenâ??t weak. Uh, he competes at powerlifting too. Maybe he is actually a powerlifter that cuts down for body building.

I guess I just really donâ??t see a good use for the labels. Especially if you consider people like X who have never competed a body builder (rightfully so). I mean in that case, is what I do not bodybuilding because I compete in powerlifting? I dedicate myself to train eat and grow, isnâ??t that bodybuilding?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
mr popular wrote:
Professor X wrote:
mr popular wrote:
Personally I am much more impressed by someone who can bench 405lbs, with little arch, for 10 reps (or even 10 partials off the chest), than I am by seeing someone bench 500lbs with a huge arch, using leg drive, a super-wide grip, tucked elbows, and bringing the bar down to their belly.

LOL.
I disagree.

Is there some life registration card where you have to check power lifter or body builder as mutually exclusive choices? Did I miss that somewhere?

The part you are missing is that most of the guys in the videos either are currently, or at least have been, both. Heck several of those â??bodybuilderâ?? videos are of powerlifting competitions.

I mean, the videos really should do as much to expel the â??powerlifters are fatâ?? myth as the â??bodybuilders are weakâ?? myth.

Since when do powerlifters not build their bodies, and bodybuilders not build their strength? Muscle building is a fundamental part of powerlifting and moving weight is a fundamental part of bodybuilding.

I always think itâ??s funny when body building guys put up Jonnie Jackson as an argument that body builders arenâ??t weak. Uh, he competes at powerlifting too. Maybe he is actually a powerlifter that cuts down for body building.

I guess I just really donâ??t see a good use for the labels. Especially if you consider people like X who have never competed a body builder (rightfully so). I mean in that case, is what I do not bodybuilding because I compete in powerlifting? I dedicate myself to train eat and grow, isnâ??t that bodybuilding?

[/quote]

There truly used to be no real distinction. When I started training seriously, there were powerlifters and serious bodybuilders in that gym and they all pretty much supported each other. I trained more like a powerlifter back then as far as trying to get heavier and heavier weight for one max rep.

I don’t think any lines were drawn in the sand until these “author/personal trainers” started trying to sell the idea that big bodybuilders were all stupid and training wrong and that their progress was all due to “genetics/drugs”. They had to degrade the progress of the biggest and strongest in order for newbs to put all faith in them and ignore the huge guys in the gym right next to them that were growing.

Both powerlifters and bodybuilders have the goal of building muscle and getting strong…until you get a hoard of skinny fuckers who all claim they don’t want to be big making up words like “functional” to describe why they still look the same after 5 years of “training”.

The “I don’t wanna be big” skinny dudes and the personal trainers writing articles are to blame here…as well as the lemmings that followed.

Impressive:

Impressive:

Impressive:

OMG EW:

Wow to Baria.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

OMG EW:

- YouTube [/quote]

Wow, thats just bothersome. For a few reasons.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
I’m pretty sure theres a vid of Levrone repping out 405 on the INCLINE.[/quote]

Yeah if the bench press video was not just a clip, but the full seen of the movie, than Kevin would’ve went on to rep out 405 on the incline after repping 500 on the bench.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
I’m pretty sure theres a vid of Levrone repping out 405 on the INCLINE.[/quote]

Yeah if the bench press video was not just a clip, but the full seen of the movie, than Kevin would’ve went on to rep out 405 on the incline after repping 500 on the bench.

A bigger body will move bigger weights PERIOD! King Coleman is a hard one to top in my book.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Impressive:

Impressive:

Impressive:

OMG EW:

- YouTube [/quote]

Wow, wtf? That last video is kind of a disturbing. I mean it’s cool that guy could move that and all… but is that much of an arch even safe? Damn.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Lol at that statement. The general public and many misguided newbs seem to believe this. Fact of that matter is bodybuilders, especially the ones that are the best, all have one thing in common. They are strong as fuck. As strong as world class raw powerlifters if not stronger in some cases, some even are powerlifters and many were.[/quote]

Is this really the case? I’m sure if any bodybuilder came into my gym, everyone would think they’re damn strong. If anything, I think it’s the other way around - that the general public think all bodybuilders are strong, when an argument could be made that powerlifters are stronger. But I guess that discussion is already happening in this thread.

[quote]jo3 wrote:

Is this really the case? I’m sure if any bodybuilder came into my gym, everyone would think they’re damn strong. If anything, I think it’s the other way around - that the general public think all bodybuilders are strong, when an argument could be made that powerlifters are stronger. But I guess that discussion is already happening in this thread.[/quote]

Those are the people actually going to the gym though:)

I’ve met alot of reallyyyy skinny guys who thought they were stronger than big guys and/or could beat the hell out of people with arms bigger than their legs.

I was guilty of that for a while.

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
jo3 wrote:

Is this really the case? I’m sure if any bodybuilder came into my gym, everyone would think they’re damn strong. If anything, I think it’s the other way around - that the general public think all bodybuilders are strong, when an argument could be made that powerlifters are stronger. But I guess that discussion is already happening in this thread.

Those are the people actually going to the gym though:)

I’ve met alot of reallyyyy skinny guys who thought they were stronger than big guys and/or could beat the hell out of people with arms bigger than their legs.

I was guilty of that for a while.[/quote]

Sounds like you had a severe case of little man syndrome.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
krazykoukides wrote:
jo3 wrote:

Is this really the case? I’m sure if any bodybuilder came into my gym, everyone would think they’re damn strong. If anything, I think it’s the other way around - that the general public think all bodybuilders are strong, when an argument could be made that powerlifters are stronger. But I guess that discussion is already happening in this thread.

Those are the people actually going to the gym though:)

I’ve met alot of reallyyyy skinny guys who thought they were stronger than big guys and/or could beat the hell out of people with arms bigger than their legs.

I was guilty of that for a while.

Sounds like you had a severe case of little man syndrome.[/quote]

LOL.

Isn’t that the case with all of the people who do that?

It takes a person with issues to look at someone with muscles 3 times bigger than their own and jump to some conclusion that they could beat them up just based on the fact that…they have bigger muscles.

Having built most of his size from bodybuilding, Justin Harris totaled elite – bench 667, squat 903, deadlift 700 – in his first powerlifting competition.

Note: the numbers provided weren’t necessarily from his first competition but were his best competition numbers ever. From this interview - musculardevelopment.com/content/view/1569/184/ - it sounds like he did 3 competitions in 2007.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
krazykoukides wrote:
jo3 wrote:

Is this really the case? I’m sure if any bodybuilder came into my gym, everyone would think they’re damn strong. If anything, I think it’s the other way around - that the general public think all bodybuilders are strong, when an argument could be made that powerlifters are stronger. But I guess that discussion is already happening in this thread.

Those are the people actually going to the gym though:)

I’ve met alot of reallyyyy skinny guys who thought they were stronger than big guys and/or could beat the hell out of people with arms bigger than their legs.

I was guilty of that for a while.

Sounds like you had a severe case of little man syndrome.[/quote]

Yeah, I did.

Still struggle with it.

I feel like an ex-alcoholic. I’m good for a long while and then I relapse and say stupid shit.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
krazykoukides wrote:
jo3 wrote:

Is this really the case? I’m sure if any bodybuilder came into my gym, everyone would think they’re damn strong. If anything, I think it’s the other way around - that the general public think all bodybuilders are strong, when an argument could be made that powerlifters are stronger. But I guess that discussion is already happening in this thread.

Those are the people actually going to the gym though:)

I’ve met alot of reallyyyy skinny guys who thought they were stronger than big guys and/or could beat the hell out of people with arms bigger than their legs.

I was guilty of that for a while.

Sounds like you had a severe case of little man syndrome.

LOL.

Isn’t that the case with all of the people who do that?

It takes a person with issues to look at someone with muscles 3 times bigger than their own and jump to some conclusion that they could beat them up just based on the fact that…they have bigger muscles.[/quote]

Lol I feel so retarded.

I am so lucky I was not trashed on so many occasions… it’s truly embarassing.

They are much weaker in comparison to elite powerlifters, and some athletes by weight class. Still very strong, but not as strong.