Bodybuilder Training is Second to Only 1....

*I had a request for a diet thread awhile back…

Bodybuilder training is second in importance to only 1, bodybuilder eating. It doesnt matter how hard you train, if you arent eating, you arent growing. Now if there were ever a controversial thread that ive created, this will be it. Other people believe different things, different eating habits work for different people, etc. SO what im going to do in this thread is give a little info, and drop MY diet plan. A key idea for all of my threads has been “Find what works for you,” and Diet is no exception. You can get hints from others, you can be put on the path of another’s diet, but it MAY NOT necessarily work just as well for you as it did for them. Any others who have been successful in massive weight gain/dieting/have won competitions can feel free to add their information/diet plans.

Lets start with some basic knowledge-

Carbohydrates- Carbs are the major source of fuel for the body which fall into two categories, Simple and Complex. Complex carbohydrates are slower to break down and cause a gentle increase in blood sugar levels, which does not lead to extreme insulin secretion. These are the type of carbohydrate that you will have loads of in your diet. Think of Your body as a Building. The Carbs are the construction workers. You can have all the bricks in the world, but if you dont have the workers, you will not build a building.
Simple Carbs intake first boosts rapid increase in blood sugar levels. This triggers higher insulin secretion and, as a result, lowers blood sugar levels. This is something that is necessary to have post training. Basically the only time i allow simple carbs is in a PWO shake.

Now, if we’re talking bulking, which im going to assume we are, then on a training day, im basically having carbs with most of my meals except for my Pre bed snack. Regardless of that fact, a BULK of my carb intake comes in the form of my PWO shake and my PWO meal. These two meals combined can be around 30-45% of my daily carb intake. Like i said, if we’re talking bulking While trying to keep it clean, i believe some of the best carb sources would be for complex: pasta, oatmeal, wild rice, beans, corn, yellow and green vegetables, foods made from whole wheat flour and rye-bread. And for Simple: Sport drinks, apples, bananas and oranges.

Protein- Dunno how much questioning there is about proteins, yea i can get all scientific and discuss BCAAs and the 8 you cant synthesize yourself, and yadda yadda. But i dont really see that as necessary at this juncture. Basically, this is your building blocks (back to the building reference). This is what your workers (Carbs) will be using to build your mighty structure with. Now, talking powders, there are different forms of protein(A couple off the top of my head; whey concentrate, Whey isolate, Casein, Egg, Soy, etc), but for the sake of my attention span, im going to highlight two here, Whey and Casein. Whey is a quickly digested protein, and as such it is ideal to use during workout and post-workout. During the post workout time, there is a great need for amino acids to begin muscle repair and Whey protein is excellent for this. Whey is highly bioavailable, and boasts the highest biological value of any protein source. Casein however, is slower absorbing from the stomach and small intestine so the blood amino acid levels don’t rise quite as rapidly. The slow absorption will help sustain elevated amino acid levels over a longer period of time. Because it is a extremely slow digesting form of protein, some people see it as inferior. I however see casein as a rich protein source that will feed the body at a steady rate while you sleep. This is why i believe Casein is the best form of pre bed Protein. Now if you pair this with some other form of slow burning fuel, such as dairy (Milk if you dont care about calories, Cottage cheese if you do), you will turn your body into a Fuel burning machine WHILST you sleep. Forms of good protein include Fish, beef, chicken, dairy, eggs, etc. What you cant get from whole meat, substitute for powders.

Fats- “NEWSFLASH: Fats DONT actually make you fat!” You will never see that on the news. Why? Cuz its a billion dollar Bullshit nutrition scam. I see products daily that BOAST NO FATS, and are inversely Loaded with sugars. The truth is, Essential Fats play a key role in improving energy levels, stamina, performance, recovery, healing and fat loss. They are essential for all types of athletes. They may improve brain function, skin conditions, digestion, cardiovascular health, immune function, joint problems, and general health, and prevent many health problems. Notice i said ESSENTIAL FATS, these are your EFAs (Your Omegas). Some sources of this are flax seeds, walnuts, green leafy vegetables, canola oil (GMO free) fish, sunflower, corn, sesame, borage, or Olive oil.

Now, I will show you my diet. I plan to reveal it in full, minus the numbers since i REALLY dont feel like counting stuff up this morning lol. No understand, this is a bulking diet, this also may be more than most need. When i begin a cut, the diet will change drastically, IE more food buckling down, and less of it. Adjust the diet to your needs and size. Backstory: im 5’9, 260lbs. I eat approx 5k calories a day.

Breakfast- 1 tbsp Olive oil
6 eggs (4 whole 2 white)
1 Whole wheat pita
1 slice of cheese
1 cup of oatmeal
1 1/2 scooops of protein

Snack- 1 Detour Oatmeal bar + 1 scoop of protein

Pre workout- start sipping on 2 1/2 scoops of Anaconda + 2 1/2 scoops of Surge workout fuel. If there is too great a time discrepancy between my snack and my workout, i will make it a Banana + 2 scoops of whey.

During workout- Anaconda + Surge. (note: i use 2 1/2 as servings because i do workout for quite a bit longer than most)

post workout- 4 scoops of N large + 1 scoop of whey protein.

Dinner- 10-12 oz of meat (changes daily) normally 2-3 servings of a carb (be it brown rice, Wheat pasta, or Sweet potatoes), and some form of vegetable.

Pre Bed- 2 scoops of Syntha-6 + 1 scoop of whey + WHOLE milk.

I remember a video i saw awhile back that really changed my perspective on eating. In the video, the man commented on ‘Foods that worked.’ Egg whites, Oatmeal, tuna, Banana, Chicken breast, Brown rice, Sweet Potatoes. If you were ever like me, and at one time debated if you could eat something, if it wasnt good for you or you really werent sure, or are just trying to stay lean. That list of 7 foods is your fallback. That is your safe house.

Im gonna finish breakfast now…Happy Eating.

So you mean to tell me Swedish Fish aren’t healthy? BUT THEY CONTAIN NO FAT!

I think this is the video you were referencing Akuma. Also he is just talking about his pre-contest diet, I’m pretty sure Dave eats red meat in the off-season.

Yeah, but the point about having a mental checklist of foods is still a valid one.

One way I differ on this is the simple carbs. I take 20g of dextrose 15min prior to training to cause an insulin spike. This allows the muscles to refuel faster during the workout by combining insulin-uptake with the non-insulin-uptake you would normally have.

I can definitely tell the difference, too, not just going by what someone else says. I usually take 2min of rest between sets and 3-5min between movements. If I forget to take the dextrose, I’ll consistently miss the mark on the last set or two of every lift. For the first set of the next lift, I’ll be fine and then fail again on the last set. When I take the dextrose, I can pretty much guarantee I’ll nail every set.

Post-workout, I double the protein and halve the carbs(maltodextrin) in my shake , going from a 100gC+30gP pre-workout to 50gC+60gP post. Been doing that for about a month now, and noticed this morning that while I’ve gained another 2lbs, I’ve lost 2mm off my abdominal caliper measurement.

But again, just like you said, this is my bodies reaction. It may not work the same for some others, which is why you have to experiment on your own, study your own body, make note of subtle changes and figure out what [b]you[/i] need to do to get the most from your training.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

I think this is the video you were referencing Akuma. Also he is just talking about his pre-contest diet, I’m pretty sure Dave eats red meat in the off-season.[/quote]

i genuinely felt bad for that guy. Not having the support of your close friends and family is a pretty shitty situation. I know they were hamming it up for the cameras but you could tell its real

Hmm, breakfast is 5 whole eggs, 60 grams of oats, bananas, heavy cream, cheese, some quark, and perhaps mayo. Pre-workout is a light-easily digestible mixture of 40-40 grams of prot-carbs (eg, chicken, oats, brown rice, whatever) with about 5-10 grams of fat. During training, I sip about 80-100 grams of carbs with some (20-25 grams) of protein and salts (especially useful in this heat of 35-36 celsius degrees… ). I know it seems mumbo-jumbo, but actually it decreases soreness, increases work capacity, helps me to stay energized during whole workout, without any stims, so, it definitely worth to consume it >before it, I often had problem with low blood sugar, dizzyness, near-passing out experiences, but it’s because of my “FFB” habit of training with lot of sets-large multi-joint movements with as little rest as possible< After the weights, 60 grams of oats and whey.

Saying goodbye to training dudes, having a shower, etc, another 40 grams of protein, and equal amount of carbs with trace fats. This short window of breakie-pre-during-post-workout covers most of my carbs from grains, besides I’m having about an additional 20-30 from grains and a lot of green veggies, onions, peppers.

Fat is from saturated fat mostly, and some fish oil capsules plus cod liver oil. Butter, dairy, heavy cream, eggs, ham, bacon, pork, beef, occasionally some walnuts, plus about 6-7 grams of fish-cod oil.

Protein is something easily digestible para-workout (lean meats, whey, eggs) and something more filling during the rest of the day (red meat :slight_smile: ) Carbs are all complex, oats, rye, legumes, except that huge surge of maltodextrin-dextrose during my workout (but although I pack on fat easily, that surge seems to be beneficial without any adverse effects… harder-longer workouts, more capacity, lesser soreness, and NO FAT)

I eat whenever I’m hungry, and I’m always eating a way more than I feel satisfying, as I’m borderline anorexic, and tend to loose a lot when just listening to my instincts. (actually I’ve lost 30 pounds in a few months because of my stupidness of eating just only that what I’ve found filling… now I’m on my way back!)

Awesome stuff Akuma! Enjoy all your self made threads, been putting alot of the advice and tips in them into my own workouts and they’ve been a help! Thanks again! :slight_smile:

i’m definitely not one of the biggest guys on here, currently 205lbs morning weight. at my heaviest i hit 226lbs…when i began in 2006 i was 142lbs. that information gives you the math needed here, i gained 80lbs while the largest my pant size got was a 34in waist.

i didn’t do it w/ chicken breasts and veggies, tuna and rice…those things are part of the equation but not calorically dense enough for gaining size w/out eating pounds and pounds which isn’t possible.

oats, natty pb mixed in a blender w/ my chocolate whey whole milk + bananas at times (min. of 2-3 shakes a day)

eat carbs, lots of RED MEAT: ground beef, steaks everyday. i drank a ton of milk, everyone is eventually lactose intolerant, it’s just a matter of finding your line. mine was just over a gallon a day.

you (if you’re a skinny bastard to start) have to eat enough and often, eat until you are uncomfortable, eating leaving the table to shit, to then return to eating isn’t something uncommon.

w/ all of this info. USE A MIRROR AS WELL. if your stomach is growing that’s fine so long as your back. legs, shoulders, arms, chest, traps are growing at a quicker rate than your stomach.

if you end up just looking fat you are likely not working hard, heavy, or intense enough in the gym. adjust your training and eating until shit starts to look right!

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
i didn’t do it w/ chicken breasts and veggies, tuna and rice…those things are part of the equation but not calorically dense enough for gaining size w/out eating pounds and pounds which isn’t possible.
[/quote]

Good stuff. I’ve seen too many guys eating too ‘clean’ to get enough cals to make the gains they want. Either unintentionally, or for fear of losing some of their ab definition. Red meat, PB, my brother’s old favorite when we were in college was Dinty Moore Beef Stew -lol.

S

As a college student that lives with my parents I try to keep my shopping list as simple as possible to try not to annoy any one in my household.

Protein
Eggs
Beef
Whey

Carbs
Rice
Pasta
Plantains (I eat the ripe ones raw and I hate potatoes and oatmeal)

Fats
Olive Oil
Almond Butter

Thats it.

Yes that was the video, and yes Rational Gaze is dead on with that.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

Good stuff. I’ve seen too many guys eating too ‘clean’ to get enough cals to make the gains they want. Either unintentionally, or for fear of losing some of their ab definition. Red meat, PB, my brother’s old favorite when we were in college was Dinty Moore Beef Stew -lol.

S[/quote]

Good stuff. Dinty Moore has been a favorite of mine, even though it’s not entirely cheap. (5 dollars for 3 serving can 600 cals or like 7 dollars for a 5 serving can 1000 cals) I’ll occasionally put a 5 serving can in my big food bowl and mix in two cans of tuna. You can’t even taste the tuna at least I can’t, and the extra protein never hurts.

Side note- i found out our local store has sliced buffalo meat for 2.99/lb. Gonna give that a try this next year, seems pretty cheap.

I’m still not big by any means, but stepping up my eating has made dramatic changes in my weight.
I started lifting at 130lbs, and am now sitting around 183lbs. Aiming for 200 by the end of the year.

A large portion of my calories comes from milk, personally. About a month ago I started drinking a half gallon of choc. milk a day and eating a cup of oats in the morning, and i put on about 13 lbs. Even with that though, my gains have slowed, so i’m probably going to have to step it up some more. Maybe add a cup of oats pre or post workout for another 300 cals, i’m not sure yet.

My ol’ standby when I was a poor college kid was to pick up the store brand Mac n Cheese (maybe 25 cents each), grab some of the lowest grade chunk tuna you could fine (usually they weren’t more than 50 cents each, sometimes less if the store ran a deal), and a few cans of peas (again, buy the store brand). I’d cook up the Mac n Cheese, dump a couple of cans of tuna in there, and a can of peas, and usually get 2 ‘meals’ of of the mess.

S

Hmmm, i’ll have to give that a try. Thanks Stu. Something I found this last year is the lean beef chili man chili with beans.
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/chilli-man/chili-lean-beef-with-beans/

620 cals 20g fat 48g protein/can. At a price of ~$1.50 per can it’s pretty hard to beat. I’d make up two cans of that for my afternoon meal, 1240 cals and 96g protein for ~$3 is pretty damn good IMO.

My ol’ standby when I was a poor college kid was to pick up the store brand Mac n Cheese (maybe 25 cents each), grab some of the lowest grade chunk tuna you could fine (usually they weren’t more than 50 cents each, sometimes less if the store ran a deal), and a few cans of peas (again, buy the store brand). I’d cook up the Mac n Cheese, dump a couple of cans of tuna in there, and a can of peas, and usually get 2 ‘meals’ of of the mess.

S[/quote]

Haha well if that isnt a smorgasbord of fun

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

S[/quote]

Haha well if that isnt a smorgasbord of fun[/quote]
No kidding. Ghetto Tuna Helper… as if the real Tuna Helper isn’t bad enough.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

Lol, hey, you do what you have to do! I can’t tell you the times I’ve been out with friends at some ungodly hour, and had to hunt down something I wouldn’t feel horrible about eating because it had been a couple of hours since I last ate (this was before you could get RTD protein shakes at any corner bodega in Manhattan!)

S

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

Lol, hey, you do what you have to do! I can’t tell you the times I’ve been out with friends at some ungodly hour, and had to hunt down something I wouldn’t feel horrible about eating because it had been a couple of hours since I last ate (this was before you could get RTD protein shakes at any corner bodega in Manhattan!)

S[/quote]

Lol oh i feel you. Cmon man, im 23! Bought a Cooler a long time ago to avoid that shit, so im constantly bringing backup Shakes, be they meal shakes or just extra protein.