T Nation

Bodybuidling Diet and Oral Health

Professor X,

Let me kindly ask you for your professional opinion on dental health/upkeep and the traditional multiple meal bodybuilding diet.

I eat 6 times a day and try to brush after every meal (thatâ??s what we are all told growing up), but realistically I probably brush 4-5 times a day and floss at night. Despite my efforts, my last dental visit I had a new cavity. My dentist guessed that I ate multiply small meals etc based on my athletic background/physique or whatever and suggested that although this may be good for overall health, it is causing havoc bacteria wise and she said it was too much abrasion throughout the day. She suggested brushing 3 times and flossing + rinsing after the other meals. What do you think?

Also, during a cleaning, they asked if I drink a lot of coffee or tea (none on both) but explained I drink workout shakes that involve a flavoring & food coloring (Surge Workout Fuel + the flavoring) and eventually showed them the bottle of flavoring on a follow up visit and they point to it as big reason for stains on my teeth. Considering this stuff is nearly impossible to get off your fingers, they may have a good point. What do you think and other than switching supplements, what can be done to reduce the impact of eating and drinking in this manner?

Thanks in advance!

Just get new teeth because the real solution you are not going to like.

Have you thought about sacrificing some of your HUGENESS to keep your mouth healthy?

Bad oral health can damage your entire nutritional status.

I can’t say this for sure, but I’d bet the new lemon flavor isn’t as bad about staining teeth. It’s waaaay easier to clean up off other stuff (my fingers and counter tops), as is the lime. And it is much less… colorful. I’m not a dentist, this is just a personal observation.

excessive brushing is not good for your teeth. Why are you brushing after every meal? It will wear the enamel off. Just swish out with water if you are worried about the spinach smile.
I would switch supps. If its ruining your teeth what do you think its doing to your insides?

Also are you on any puffers? Those things are really bad for your teeth.

[quote]Myosin wrote:
Professor X,

Let me kindly ask you for your professional opinion on dental health/upkeep and the traditional multiple meal bodybuilding diet.

I eat 6 times a day and try to brush after every meal (that�¢??s what we are all told growing up), but realistically I probably brush 4-5 times a day and floss at night. Despite my efforts, my last dental visit I had a new cavity. My dentist guessed that I ate multiply small meals etc based on my athletic background/physique or whatever and suggested that although this may be good for overall health, it is causing havoc bacteria wise and she said it was too much abrasion throughout the day. She suggested brushing 3 times and flossing + rinsing after the other meals. What do you think?

Also, during a cleaning, they asked if I drink a lot of coffee or tea (none on both) but explained I drink workout shakes that involve a flavoring & food coloring (Surge Workout Fuel + the flavoring) and eventually showed them the bottle of flavoring on a follow up visit and they point to it as big reason for stains on my teeth. Considering this stuff is nearly impossible to get off your fingers, they may have a good point. What do you think and other than switching supplements, what can be done to reduce the impact of eating and drinking in this manner?

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

This maybe bro-science but I would just drink your Workout Shake then like have some gum and just keep drinking water throughout your workout. It makes sense in my mind haha.

WOW

Usually prof X sicks his nose where no one wants it, and here we have a thread that is trying to get his specific advice and hes no where to be seen.

Wierd

I use a waterpik myself, best purchase ever. I’ve brushed and flossed, and than used that thing after and the amount of food that came out still was really gross. I add a little mouth wash or peroxide if I run out and that helps as hell. I use it after every meal typically, and with the shakes I try and chew some sugar free gum. I know most say it’s bad for you, but my dentist suggested it personally and it helped with staining and the clean feeling.

If I’m thinking right, chewing gum helps keep the mouth salviating which prevents cavities which are more likely to occur in those who snack because your not eating long enough for the normal process to occur (or something along those lines).

Anyway! My teeth are whiter, my dentist said my gums are healthier, and I haven’t had any cavity problems or buildup since using the waterpik.

You shouldnt brush THAT often like coyotegal said, substitute with mouthwash.

@KcThrows you should get some xylitol gum, it’s actually good for your teeth.

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
I use a waterpik myself, best purchase ever. I’ve brushed and flossed, and than used that thing after and the amount of food that came out still was really gross. I add a little mouth wash or peroxide if I run out and that helps as hell. I use it after every meal typically, and with the shakes I try and chew some sugar free gum. I know most say it’s bad for you, but my dentist suggested it personally and it helped with staining and the clean feeling.

If I’m thinking right, chewing gum helps keep the mouth salviating which prevents cavities which are more likely to occur in those who snack because your not eating long enough for the normal process to occur (or something along those lines).

Anyway! My teeth are whiter, my dentist said my gums are healthier, and I haven’t had any cavity problems or buildup since using the waterpik. [/quote]
just got one as well, great purchase - especially if you have crowns

[quote]tork94 wrote:
WOW

Usually prof X sicks his nose where no one wants it, and here we have a thread that is trying to get his specific advice and hes no where to be seen.

Wierd[/quote]

Some people have a life away from the internets.

Go read “nutrition and physical degeneration” by Weston Price, you can find it for free. Getting cavaties even though you brush that often is a sign of poor health, it’s not just about your oral hygiene. For removing the stains, replace your toothpaste with baking soda once a day, brush as you normally would, after a week they should be gone. I had stains because of black tea and that did the trick.