Body Weight and Alcohol Tolerance

[quote]Amiright wrote:
The way I see it so far no argument presented would stand up in any sort of significant “debate”… just cause that skinny girl or huge guy held there alcohol doesn’t show anything.

Not that I disagree or agree with one or the other… never actually cared about this(I just drink… sometimes a bottle sometimes only a few drinks). But there are a lot of things that are mistaken as far as actual mechanics

ie… something like the statue of liberty… the majority of people think its green because of coppers reaction air, water, acid… etc… and that copper itself erodes to green but thats not entirely correct(very common misconception)… while copper plays a roll in the process… when copper erodes it turns black.

Based on what this roommate is saying… he seems to be describing the actual mechanism… while weight may or may not aid it the process it isn’t the determining factor(because its more of a odd are?!? type thing maybe?) and therefore in his mind isn’t directly correlated.

Thats my take on it… not sure if everything I said is sound but I think you get the point… if you want to “beat” this guy nothing anyone has so far is beneficial as at least all of them if I’m not mistaken contain at least one fallacy. Hell now even my own post does :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

Yeah the above is pretty accurate. I mean, its pretty specific information I’m looking for; the biological pathway alcohol takes as it enters the body, so even if I don’t have a slam dunk, I appreciate the help.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I personally know a ~120 lb Chinese girl that can drink EVERYONE under the table. It is actually her JOB. You see, in many traditional Chinese business meetings, you get hammered (it’s considered offensive if you don’t). Every two minutes someone makes a frikkin toast and you have to drink. This chick was hired to do that. She literally drank for a living. I’ve seen her put away BOTTLES of hard liquor. And she never acted tipsy and the next day she was fine. I think that she got ALL of the enzymes from the other Asian all to herself! LOL

That being said, when I started playing rugby I weighed about a 160. When I was in my prime I weighed about 245. I could drink a LOT more in the third half at a heavier body weight.[/quote]

You mean the dinner after the meeting right? Yeah those are brutal. For my first one, I was with two guys on my team that didn’t drink, so I had 8 Chinese against me. They took turns toasting with me until I started getting too loud and aggressive for their taste, so they called it a night.

I puked 3 or 4 times in the restaurant bathroom (yes, in the squat shitter) during the course of the evening, and who knows how many more back at my hotel room.

Seriously, FUCK Maotai. That shit is poison.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
Just my opinion and trust me I’ve done a lot of research on hard boozing.

The number one factor pertaining to tolerance is how much you drink and how frequently.

[/quote]

I have noticed this as well, with myself and others.

Women also have a higher bodyfat percentage than men (in general), affecting how much tissue the alcohol is spread in.

Boron&Boulpaep wrote a bigass book called Medical Physiology, where they wrote that a mans blood volume in litres is .08 times his mass in kilograms. If you don’t feel like doing the math, heavy ass people have more blood.

(However, it doesn’t look like that holds true for me. Compared my hemoglobin levels after donating blood to my usual level and it was lower than expected.)

But the alcohol doesn’t only get distributed in your blood. It crosses cell membranes very easily (due to being bi-winning) and gets distributed in blood, cell plasma and interstitial fluid.

Tell him the Kai Greene/Justin Bieber example along with the properties of cell membranes. He should admit defeat.

Roommate just got dumped. Don’t feel like crushing his spirit like I normally would.

[quote]Eli B wrote:
Roommate just got dumped. Don’t feel like crushing his spirit like I normally would.[/quote]

Ya kidding me? Now is the time to strike! Pulverise him in a battle of arguments, kick him whilst he’s down! If he tries to bring up a counter argument, just remind him of getting dumped by his gf. This is the victory you have been striving for.

[quote]Waylander wrote:

[quote]Eli B wrote:
Roommate just got dumped. Don’t feel like crushing his spirit like I normally would.[/quote]

Ya kidding me? Now is the time to strike! Pulverise him in a battle of arguments, kick him whilst he’s down! If he tries to bring up a counter argument, just remind him of getting dumped by his gf. This is the victory you have been striving for.[/quote]

I like your style!

Tolerance is determined by how fast your liver breaks down the alcohol for clearance, how much is absorbed into the blood stream by of course your GI tract. Which means if you drink on a full stomach then the amount of alcohol absorbed is decreased. If you are a heavy drinker your liver will clear it quicker due to the “abuse” the liver is under from chronic alcohol ingestion.