T Nation

Body Types

lmao, I love this guy

[quote]joe shumsky wrote:
bonez217, it’s clear to me and everyone else that you’re a big strong guy. my hat’s off to you. you clearly know what YOU need to do to get the results you want. but you really can’t presume to know or understand what a guy who’s having trouble gaining weight is going through if you’ve never had that issue, can you?

have you ever had a hard time gaining weight? somehow, i doubt it. you also need to read something other than flex, fella. if you don’t believe me, perhaps you’ll believe encyclopaedia britannicaa. for your reading pleasure, the definition of an ectomorph. pay special attention to the bit at the end.

ARTICLEfrom theEncyclop�¦dia Britannicaa human physical type (somatotype) tending toward linearity, as determined by the physique classification system developed by the American psychologist W.H. Sheldon. Although classification by the Sheldon system is not absolute, a person is classed as an ectomorph if ectomorphy predominates over endomorphy and mesomorphy in his body build. The extreme ectomorph has a thin face with high forehead and receding chin; narrow chest and abdomen; a narrow heart; rather long, thin arms and legs; little body fat and little muscle; but a large skin surface and a large nervous system. If well fed he does not gain weight easily, and if he becomes fat he is still considered an ectomorph, only overweight. Compare endomorph; mesomorph.

the other rob, while you’re clearly more well-read than bonez217 (and my hat’s off to you, as well) if body type has nothing to do with hormones, why do you recommend someone who has trouble gaining weight get their thyroid checked? what is it you think the thyroid gland does exactly?

[/quote]

Don’t come to NY or I’ll eat you.

OP, it’s not complicated. You are simply not eating enough, barring any physical or medical abnormalities. It’s going to be different for everyone. You also may want to look into some sort of digestive enzymes, because your body probably isn’t absorbing and processing the calories you take in efficiently.

[quote]joe shumsky wrote:
bonez217, it’s clear to me and everyone else that you’re a big strong guy. my hat’s off to you. you clearly know what YOU need to do to get the results you want. but you really can’t presume to know or understand what a guy who’s having trouble gaining weight is going through if you’ve never had that issue, can you?

have you ever had a hard time gaining weight? somehow, i doubt it. you also need to read something other than flex, fella. if you don’t believe me, perhaps you’ll believe encyclopaedia britannicaa. for your reading pleasure, the definition of an ectomorph. pay special attention to the bit at the end.

ARTICLEfrom theEncyclop�¦dia Britannicaa human physical type (somatotype) tending toward linearity, as determined by the physique classification system developed by the American psychologist W.H. Sheldon. Although classification by the Sheldon system is not absolute, a person is classed as an ectomorph if ectomorphy predominates over endomorphy and mesomorphy in his body build. The extreme ectomorph has a thin face with high forehead and receding chin; narrow chest and abdomen; a narrow heart; rather long, thin arms and legs; little body fat and little muscle; but a large skin surface and a large nervous system. If well fed he does not gain weight easily, and if he becomes fat he is still considered an ectomorph, only overweight. Compare endomorph; mesomorph.

the other rob, while you’re clearly more well-read than bonez217 (and my hat’s off to you, as well) if body type has nothing to do with hormones, why do you recommend someone who has trouble gaining weight get their thyroid checked? what is it you think the thyroid gland does exactly?

[/quote]

I had to eat 5000-6000 calories a day for almost a year to meet my weight goals, you think that’s easy at just under 5’8"? He just needs to fucking eat more, people need to stop assuming everyone has a medical condition. What next, when someone gets bad grades we say they automatically have a learning disability?..what, that happens already?

There is no point in arguing with him. We have our knowledge about the subject and he has his. I shook my head at Joe Shumsky’s post about “not being able to “absorb” as well”…

  1. 3500 cals is your NEW maintenance

  2. start eating 4500 cals every day

  3. 3 times a week, 20 minutes per session is not enough

  4. 4-5 times a week roughly 45 minutes per session would be much better

  5. i really hope you’re not actually using a bow-flex… fucking power-rod technology

You come across as very confrontational, do you have a habit of trolling these forums? As far as I remember the thyroid gland releases several hormones, most significantly T3, an excess of which will basically screw your metabolism. I’d have to go through some textbooks to tell you anything you couldn’t find on wikipedia.

You have it backwards, “body type” does not influence hormone levels, hormone levels influence your physical structure. I am not telling OP to get his thyroid checked, if however he actually cannot physically gain weight (very damn unlikely), then he needs medical help. In all honesty I’m pretty certain it has nothing to do with his thyroid. The one person I know who had an over-active thyroid was uncontrollably losing weight, not maintaining easily.

OP, if you aren’t a troll then this is all you need to read:

[quote]1) 3500 cals is your NEW maintenance

  1. start eating 4500 cals every day

  2. 3 times a week, 20 minutes per session is not enough

  3. 4-5 times a week roughly 45 minutes per session would be much better

  4. i really hope you’re not actually using a bow-flex… fucking power-rod technology[/quote]

Apologies for bumping this turd sandwich.

im not a troll,and i will try to eat 4000 calories but it might make me be sick if im sick does my body still get the calories ?

[quote]joe shumsky wrote:
bonez217, it’s clear to me and everyone else that you’re a big strong guy. my hat’s off to you. you clearly know what YOU need to do to get the results you want. but you really can’t presume to know or understand what a guy who’s having trouble gaining weight is going through if you’ve never had that issue, can you?

I know bonez, he’s actually my ex-bf, he has a shitty appetite like me.

have you ever had a hard time gaining weight? somehow, i doubt it. you also need to read something other than flex, fella. if you don’t believe me, perhaps you’ll believe encyclopaedia britannicaa. for your reading pleasure, the definition of an ectomorph. pay special attention to the bit at the end.

ARTICLEfrom theEncyclop�¦dia Britannicaa human physical type (somatotype) tending toward linearity, as determined by the physique classification system developed by the American psychologist W.H. Sheldon. Although classification by the Sheldon system is not absolute, a person is classed as an ectomorph if ectomorphy predominates over endomorphy and mesomorphy in his body build. The extreme ectomorph has a thin face with high forehead and receding chin; narrow chest and abdomen; a narrow heart; rather long, thin arms and legs; little body fat and little muscle; but a large skin surface and a large nervous system. If well fed he does not gain weight easily, and if he becomes fat he is still considered an ectomorph, only overweight. Compare endomorph; mesomorph.

the other rob, while you’re clearly more well-read than bonez217 (and my hat’s off to you, as well) if body type has nothing to do with hormones, why do you recommend someone who has trouble gaining weight get their thyroid checked? what is it you think the thyroid gland does exactly?

I’m skinny as hell, have a crappy appetite. My thyroid is fine, all it comes down to is providing the right amount of work in the gym, eating enough everyday and having to force feed when necessary. Doesn’t matter what “body type.” Everyone is a mixture of different types, you can’t group one person here or there, it’s just stupid.

[/quote]

[quote]Dolli123 wrote:
im not a troll,and i will try to eat 4000 calories but it might make me be sick if im sick does my body still get the calories ?[/quote]

Like that sexy black man lhurst mentioned, get some digestive enzymes. They help me out a lot, especially with the bigger meals. Stay on top of your fiber and stay hydrated. Your body will adjust over time and if you’re farting and crappin’ every minute you might have gone a little overboard on cals and might need to scale it back just a tad lawl.

countingbeans, that isn’t a very masculine/Alpha Male-like thing to admit, especially on T-Nation. i commend you.

bonez217, i was in nyc last sunday. sorry i missed you. although cannibalism is still alive and well in certain cultures, i wasn’t aware of an ill-informed, delusional, macho-tough-guy, wanna-be-bodybuilder population segment. what can i say, i’m ignorant. fyi, i don’t think you’d find me very satisfying to eat, by your own standards. i’m fairly lean and, how you say, “no good for BULKING”. p.s. i looked all over the place for black and white cookies while i was there, but couldn’t find one. any advice you could offer me, because you respect me so much, of course?

hungry4more, i have to admit that i always find it laugh-out-loud funny when people say that eating is “hard to do.” i’m 5’4" and, quite literally, have to force myself to STOP eating, right around 4,000 or so calories per day (i like to be able to see my abs… what can i say?) not to mention the fact that, if this guy truly does have a fast metabolism (which isn’t a medical condition, by the way, but rather one of the many stops on the bell-shaped curved spectrum of possible metabolic rates) he should actually be able to eat, relatively speaking, more than average. just sayin’.

fuzzyapple, 2 posts before yours is a post by a well-developed gentleman named lewhitehurst. although he echoes my EXACT sentiment about the “absorption” of food, trust his word over mine because he is bigger. and, as we all know, the truth becomes more valid when told by someone more big.

the other Rob, you are correct about the function of the thyroid. but, let’s not allow this to turn into an argument over semantics, here. obviously a person’s hormonal levels will affect their body structure. i’m certainly not arguing the contrary. but, once a person’s structure has been recognized, they can be grouped into a few (or several, if you’d prefer) GENERAL categories.

one of these general categories is that of ectomorph and, as we’ve already established, the reason they were placed into that category to begin with is because their hormone levels have led them to develop a certain body structure. to put it another way, it’s like arguing which came first, the chicken or the egg… all philosophical underpinnings aside, you end up in the same place: with a guy who has an abnormally difficult time gaining lean muscle. by the way, what is this “trolling” that i keep getting accused of? if posting in an internet forum makes me a troll, then wouldn’t you be one, as well? one more thing: i love the fact that I’M the one fielding insults and threats here and, yet, I’M the one who’s confrontational.

finally, Carlitosway, i don’t want you to get the wrong idea, here: it isn’t the LABEL of ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph, etc., that i’m subscribing to. but, rather, the fact that there exists a huge spectrum of people out there in the world, each having different physical characteristics. some people gain muscle relatively easily, while others have a very difficult time.

this is a maxim, mind you, that has been accepted by the sports medicine, medical, and even psychological communities as a whole yet, for reasons i don’t fully understand, not a fairly large segment of the T-Nation population. all you have to do is look out the window and observe people walking down the street to see that this variation exists. i’m not making it up.

A gay joke?

You act all high and mighty with your pseudo-intellectual vocabulary and the pinnacle of our insult is a gay joke?

LMFAO!

I wouldn’t expect anything less…

Learn 2 shift key numbnuts.

HIIIIIIIII DANKID

If Joe only knew how skinny I was when I started out… His head would explode.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Don’t come to NY or I’ll eat you. [/quote]

Going to have to break into his bones to get to the myeloid tissue, seems that’s the only protein on his body.

[quote]The post you’re referring too:
…because your body probably isn’t absorbing and processing the calories you take in efficiently. [/quote]

Like to point out Joe that digestion and absorption are completely different processes. If you’re not digesting properly then yes, you’re not absorbing efficiently. However, you can word it in such a way to mean the same thing “Ectomorphs cannot digest as efficiently compared to a mesomorph.” but is truly still wrong.

… from CT

Not everybody requires a lot of calories to grow. Mike Mentzer was a really low calories guy… on a cutting diet he would often consume less than 1600 calories per day. Some people are oxydizers or bad absorbers (and require a ton of food to grow), they are also called individuals with a spendrift metabolism, and there are those who are good absorbers (and don’t require as much total food to grow), they are also called individuals with a thrifty metabolism.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
… from CT

Not everybody requires a lot of calories to grow. Mike Mentzer was a really low calories guy… on a cutting diet he would often consume less than 1600 calories per day. Some people are oxydizers or bad absorbers (and require a ton of food to grow), they are also called individuals with a spendrift metabolism, and there are those who are good absorbers (and don’t require as much total food to grow), they are also called individuals with a thrifty metabolism.
[/quote]

Which proves that all someone needs to do is eat more (or less, if the goal isnt mass gain). How much bodyfat they will have to carry is completely irrelevant and will change as the person gets bigger and bigger.

Fat people are fat because they eat too much. Skinny people are skinny because they dont eat enough. Not because god smacked either of them in the face when designing their metabolism.

this thread is too awesome for me not to comment.

on eating/body types/etc:
eating more makes you big, unless you’re pooping out whole food, it’s going somewhere. if you want to get big, you need to stimulate your muscles by lifting weights (edit: A LOT more than 1 hour total a week) and you need to eat a lot of food. i try my damnedest every day to get in 4000+ calories, because if i don’t, i probably won’t grow or recover. if i really wanted to bulk, i’d be trying to get in 5000+, but i have lots of latex and leather bondage gear that’s tight enough as it is.

if people aren’t willing to lift heavy weights and eat lots of food, they probably won’t get big, and probably don’t deserve to.

i’m not the incredible hulk or anything, so if you don’t want to listen to me (and everyone else who has said the same thing), then don’t.

I pooped a whole protein bar and ate it again. Its a never ending cycle of not being able to absorb it.