Body Type Transformation

I’ve often discussed this with friends & family & would like to hear what ya’ll have to say.

Is it possible for an ectomorph to eventually evolve into a mesomorph? What about an endomorph? Can an ecto evolve into an endomorph ?

I’m an endo and would LOVE to evolve into a meso haha

Umm… why do people get so caught up in all this bodytype stuff? If you happen to gain fat easily you watch your carbs and calories and make adjustments depending on how your body reacts. If you find it hard to gain weight you eat more food.

I seriously think that having these labels for yourself will only serve as a mental block.

How often do you actually find this labelling even useful? I would say that I personally have a predisposition for fat gain. That doesn’t mean I go and change my whole bodybuilding philosophy for it. I don’t go around saying “I’m sorry, I am an endo, so I can’t eat that cake”. I simply know that my body doesn’t tolerate carbs well so I have no use of cake.

We aren’t all either specifically one ‘type’ either. I have small wrists and a rather delicate overall skeletal structure, which goes against the typical ‘endo’ stylisation.

Sorry that this turned into a bit of a rant but I wish people would stop holding onto these kinds of labels and instead just listen to their bodies and adjust things accordingly and bring on the mass.

As for your question, the whole concept of a mesomorph is someone who is genetically advantageous for muscle growth. You can’t really ‘evolve’ your genetics into someone else’s. It’s like Elmo asking, “can I evolve into Paul Dillet?”.

What I’m trying to say is this: quit thinking in terms of “how can I override my genetical disadvantages” and instead learn to work with what you have and maximize the genetics you were given.

You are 155 lbs and you are an endo? I’m not big on labels either but that doesn’t seem right…

always wondered this

[quote]RobRayner wrote:
always wondered this[/quote]

You shouldn’t have. This focus on body types is overused and often flat out WRONG. I was a skinny kid. I am sure most would label me an “ectomorph” back then. I doubt they would now. Does that mean my “body type” changed? Or does it mean I went ahead and gained enough muscle to show that how you look before training for years has jack shit to do with what “body type” you are specifically?

Someone untrained doesn’t have a body type as it relates to bodybuilding. You won’t know where they stand UNTIL they’ve been training long enough to evoke a change.

Lou Ferrigno was a skinny teenager. Does that make him an “ectomorph”?

If someone starts out small, lifts weights for years and is now big, what would you use to assign some “body type”? What they started with?

ive been told

[quote]TheOlympian wrote:
I’ve often discussed this with friends & family & would like to hear what ya’ll have to say.

Is it possible for an ectomorph to eventually evolve into a mesomorph? What about an endomorph? Can an ecto evolve into an endomorph ?

I’m an endo and would LOVE to evolve into a meso haha[/quote]

Actually what makes someone a mesomorph, ecto or endo is the result of formulas where you use skinfolds, circunferences, weight and height… you can change all of these(except height), so you can change your type. For example if someone who is skinny (ectomorph) gains a lot of muscle, his ectomorphism number will go down due to the incresed bodyweight and his mesomorphism number will go up because of increased circunferences, and be his highest number now, making him a mesomorph .

[quote]Sagat wrote:
TheOlympian wrote:

Actually what makes someone a mesomorph, ecto or endo is the result of formulas where you use skinfolds, circunferences, weight and height… you can change all of these(except height), so you can change your type. For example if someone who is skinny (ectomorph) gains a lot of muscle, his ectomorphism number will go down due to the incresed bodyweight and his mesomorphism number will go up because of increased circunferences, and be his highest number now, making him a mesomorph .
[/quote]

If you can change all of these then what pray tell is the usefulness of these terms other than describing how someone looks RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND?

The problem is, people are using these terms to describe themselves as if they need to train according to their “body type”. Since body type is not static, it makes no sense for so many people to be concerned about it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Sagat wrote:
TheOlympian wrote:

Actually what makes someone a mesomorph, ecto or endo is the result of formulas where you use skinfolds, circunferences, weight and height… you can change all of these(except height), so you can change your type.

For example if someone who is skinny (ectomorph) gains a lot of muscle, his ectomorphism number will go down due to the incresed bodyweight and his mesomorphism number will go up because of increased circunferences, and be his highest number now, making him a mesomorph .

If you can change all of these then what pray tell is the usefulness of these terms other than describing how someone looks RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND?

The problem is, people are using these terms to describe themselves as if they need to train according to their “body type”. Since body type is not static, it makes no sense for so many people to be concerned about it.[/quote]

You are right, this is useful to measure how you look now compared to 1 year ago, just that. Its like bf%.

The problem is that people somewhat confuses that with the first (very old) somatotype classification, that was phisical and psychological(and i think it couldnt be changed). In this classification, endomorth are fat, emotional and the best phase of his life is childhood… (yes, this is serious)

This is psycho babble quasi-science sounding terminology bullshit that has no merit.

Nothing is constant so why classify yourself as something that you can ultimately change through proper training and eating?

I heregy order that the words enodmorph, mesomorph, and ectomorph be struck from our voacbulary. Along with “overtraining.”

I think it’s funny, no matter what “bodytype” people start off with, after they’ve been training well for 5-10 years, making progress, they all look the same: much more muscular than they were when they started.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Along with “overtraining.”[/quote]

what about overreaching? =P

This sounds like another “gene” excuse to me.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
This is psycho babble quasi-science sounding terminology bullshit that has no merit.

Nothing is constant so why classify yourself as something that you can ultimately change through proper training and eating?

I heregy order that the words enodmorph, mesomorph, and ectomorph be struck from our voacbulary. Along with “overtraining.”[/quote]

Don’t forget “hardgainer”

[quote]Qaash wrote:
greekdawg wrote:

I heregy order that the words enodmorph, mesomorph, and ectomorph be struck from our voacbulary. Along with “overtraining.”

Don’t forget “hardgainer”[/quote]

can’t believe no one’s mentioned “functional” yet

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Qaash wrote:
greekdawg wrote:

Don’t forget “hardgainer”

can’t believe no one’s mentioned “functional” yet[/quote]

God, I forgot about those. Keep them coming…anymore? We need to start a running list of bullshit words…

you cant change it. if you have narrow shoulders you have narrow shoulders. even if you add muscle you still have a narrow bone structure. if you lose weight but you gain weight easily you will still have that potential even if you starve yourself skinny.

theres nothing wrong with classifying yourself. you may be want to talk to other people who have the same natural qualitiesfeatures of you to see whats worked and what hasnt.

the aim is to have the body type of big and lean, thats it. doesnt matter where you started the destination is still the same for most of us.

also saying hardgainers dont exist is like saying people who can grow easier dont exist. yea theres people out there with the “problem” of getting parts too big too easily. yet theres no opposite end of the spectrum?

for one extreme theres always another. for example the extreme of people who base everything on a predisposed potential based on genetics, somatype, etc. and the people who say that genetics and somatypes have nothing to do with anything. youre both on opposite ends of extremes and youre both wrong.

genes have to do with a lot, but so does how much effort you put into what you want to accomplish. what you lack for a natural gift make up for with dedication and effort.

if you gain fat easily, watch your diet

if your lats grow easily but your triceps dont, put more attention to your triceps and less on your lats.

if your traps gain easily but your legs dont put more attention to your legs.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
you cant change it. if you have narrow shoulders you have narrow shoulders. even if you add muscle you still have a narrow bone structure. if you lose weight but you gain weight easily you will still have that potential even if you starve yourself skinny. [/quote]

Wow.

Phil Heath has narrow clavicles (shoulders). Ectomorph?

[quote]

theres nothing wrong with classifying yourself. you may be want to talk to other people who have the same natural qualitiesfeatures of you to see whats worked and what hasnt.[/quote]

Most people use these classifications to describe deficiencies. The person avoiding using boundaries as a crutch wouldn’t be very interested to begin with.

[quote]

also saying hardgainers dont exist is like saying people who can grow easier dont exist. yea theres people out there with the “problem” of getting parts too big too easily. yet theres no opposite end of the spectrum? [/quote]

Hardgainers are about as frequently seen as there are Ronnie Coleman’s. Most of the people using this term are doing so as an excuse.

Holy batman, Phil Heath is jacked to the hilt on that pic. I mean i knew he was huge but there his muscles seem to be absoluetly exploding.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Holy batman, Phil Heath is jacked to the hilt on that pic. I mean i knew he was huge but there his muscles seem to be absoluetly exploding. [/quote]

That’s why I keep saying people are underestimating him. He is good friends with Jay Cutler. They’ve been training together and he has honestly made a shit load more progress than most of them save for Kai Greene.