T Nation

Body temp and Metabolism

Does a lower than average body temp relate to a slow metabolism? How big of a factor does diet play into this? What supplements would help? Seems like no matter what I do my body temp is always 1 or 2 degrees below normal. Undertrain, Overtrain, undereat, overeat. This is why I am wondering how important body temp is in relation to gaining or losing. Anyone have any input?

Low body temperatures can be a sign of low thyroid production, which of course means lower metabolism. I have low body temperatures and I suspect low thyroid. My waking temp is generally around 97.3, and has been as low as 96.7. My daytime temps rarely go up to 98, even after activity such as vacuuming. There are other symptoms of low thyroid as well (lack of energy, intolerance to cold, weight gain, low libido, thinning hair, hoarse voice, droopy eyes, facial swelling etc.) If you have these symptoms, you may have low thyroid output.

I am aware that a low thyroid can cause a lower body tempeture. However, a low body tempeture does not necessarily mean that you have a low thyroid. Every time it rains the roof leaks. This does not mean that the hole in the roof is causing the rain.

Nor, does a low body tempeture mean that you have a slow metabolism either.

I have always had a low body tempeture 96.5 to 98. Yet, I have never had what one would call a slow metabolism. What is metabolism anyway? My body fat is usually between 8.5% and 11%. I burn calories rather efficiently and I think it is based upon my fairly low body fat.

Also, I have plenty of energy. I can tolerate cold quite well (in fact I take cold baths and showers three times a week, as I believe it to be good for the immune system). I have a full thick head of hair. In short, I have no signs of low thyroid!

I have found that many people, if not most, run a bit lower than the 98.6 that is considered normal. I would not worry about it.

My bodytemperature right now is skyrocketing because I have the flu. Would this have any impact on food metabolism? Curious, please answer.

"My bodytemperature right now is skyrocketing because I have the flu. Would this have any impact on food metabolism? Curious, please answer. "

As the old saying goes, Starve a cold, feed a fever.

The answer is yes. A quick search of a few medical sights actually indicate eating more than normal when you have a fever to feed your bodies higher energy requirements, unless vomiting is a part of your illness…