Body Punching

I am just not sure how else to explain it. If you watched all of the videos that I posted and read my posts and still don’t understand the difference, then I don’t think I can help you. I could show you easily in person, but there is only so much that can be conveyed through text.

With the "ice picking’ (never heard it called that, but good name), think of a shallower shot to the body. As you are pivoting to bring it in, the punch is circled back toward you a bit so it is more of a ‘glancing’ blow, more superficial. This is in contrast to the ‘sticking’ hook, where you are aiming into the middle of his side (no pulling back on this one, punch follows a more consistent arc into the target).

Another way to visualize: set up on a heavy bag, and throw a body hook with the intention of spinning the bag. Your glove catches the bag, but you are sort of whipping across the surface - this would be the ice picking. Then, throw a similar body hook but attempt to move the bag straight sideways rather than spin it - this would be sticking.

This probably isn’t the best way to learn the actual technique, but it should give you a better understanding of what sento is trying to explain. Assuming I got it right. :wink:

[quote]boatguy wrote:
With the "ice picking’ (never heard it called that, but good name), think of a shallower shot to the body. As you are pivoting to bring it in, the punch is circled back toward you a bit so it is more of a ‘glancing’ blow, more superficial. This is in contrast to the ‘sticking’ hook, where you are aiming into the middle of his side (no pulling back on this one, punch follows a more consistent arc into the target).

Another way to visualize: set up on a heavy bag, and throw a body hook with the intention of spinning the bag. Your glove catches the bag, but you are sort of whipping across the surface - this would be the ice picking. Then, throw a similar body hook but attempt to move the bag straight sideways rather than spin it - this would be sticking.

This probably isn’t the best way to learn the actual technique, but it should give you a better understanding of what sento is trying to explain. Assuming I got it right. ;)[/quote]

I actually like that explanation. I’m still trying to understand the differences … my boxing coach tends to promote the sticking hook to the body, but I’m no good at it yet.