T Nation

Body Language

So, after remembering an interesting discussion on body language our class had in psych class… I want to know more.

I just searched amazon.com for some books on body language, but half of them were “gauranteed to change my life” and I’m not looking for that kind of crap, and the other half had bad reviews.

I’m just looking for an overall view on body language from an educational standpoint. I’m not looking for books on how to make more money, find true love, have better sex, and how to get out of speeding tickets.

Does anyone know of any books on the subject? Has anyone studied the subject?

Thanks.

Paul Ekman’s book “Emotions revealed” is a good introduction to the expression of emotion in the face.

Basically, Ekman and his colleagues studied exaclty which muscles do what when different emotions are being expressed.

He also has a cd set you can get which trains you to recognise when someone is concealing an emotion. What happens is it is very briefly expressed in the face (a microexpression) before they are able to suppress it.

Another good book is “Reading People” by Jo-Ellan Dimitrius. She uses her skills as a high-priced jury consultant so her stuff is quite practical.

[quote]bradams wrote:
Paul Ekman’s book “Emotions revealed” is a good introduction to the expression of emotion in the face.

Basically, Ekman and his colleagues studied exaclty which muscles do what when different emotions are being expressed.

He also has a cd set you can get which trains you to recognise when someone is concealing an emotion. What happens is it is very briefly expressed in the face (a microexpression) before they are able to suppress it.

Another good book is “Reading People” by Jo-Ellan Dimitrius. She uses her skills as a high-priced jury consultant so her stuff is quite practical.[/quote]

ive been interested in learning about this stuff for a while. thanks for the book titles

No worries.

The other thing you could do if you have access to a university library is search the databases.

One pet peeve of mine, especially in the field of psychology, is the amount of unscientific crap out there. If a book doesn’t have s good reference section I have to have some other good reason to read it.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I just searched amazon.com for some books on body language, but half of them were “gauranteed to change my life” and I’m not looking for that kind of crap, and the other half had bad reviews.

I’m just looking for an overall view on body language from an educational standpoint. I’m not looking for books on how to make more money, find true love, have better sex, and how to get out of speeding tickets.[/quote]

Go back to amazon.com and try reading the bad reviews, you may find that the people giving these bad reviews are people who wanted the gauranteed life change. Look for the ones where the reviewers are complaining about them being to education oriented and not usefull for improving their sex life. In many cases bad reviews can have as much or more info than the good ones.

Note that I know very little about body language, this is just something I’ve noticed about sites offering reviews in general.

Allan Pease wrote an excellent book on the subject, the name escapes me but you should be able to find it on amazon

Try searching for information on ‘Non-verbal Communication’ and social dynamic anthropology. It may garner more academic results then ‘body language’ and 101 ways to pick-up wealthy women… Come to think about it…