T Nation

Body Fortress?

[quote]Eielson wrote:
Yeah, you’d probably consider me to be pretty young.[/quote]

Lol, I’m not gonna bother about asking your age, it’s pretty evident to me already. Doesn’t bother me at all, I’m just saying…you’re not a complete tool, so keep it that way.

And anyway, creatine won’t make people think you’re on steroids. It’ll flood your muscles with water which will make them bigger, yeah, but nowhere near like if you were using gear. If people equate creatine with steroids (and thusly, say you’re on steroids), disregard it. Creatine is natural in the body; taking it as a supplement is only giving your body more of what it already has.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Did you read his post? He got it for free. Some of you guys come across as paid shills for Biotest.

To the OP, thank your father.[/quote]

Exactly. Some people don’t have the time or resources to buy from an online store. Some people aren’t in that position. When the time comes, should he try to get the highest quality products? Yes. But until then, make do with what you got.

I don’t understand why it’s considered junk. If it’s got creatine, and sugar to increase uptake through a insulin response, and as a bonus has caffiene effect products.

I could see why people might want something different, but for the actual creatine, as long as it’s not ethyl ester I don’t see what the problem is. His father has done something nice for him, and as long as the kid puts in effort in the gym, it will have a positive effect.

There’s nothing wrong with this product. If the sugar is malto and dex, it’s not much different than Surge with some creatine thrown in assuming it’s paired with a protein source. Of course, it could be some shitty table sugar that mostly replenishes liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. Still, using it for a month till it’s used up will not hurt.

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
I don’t understand why it’s considered junk. If it’s got creatine, and sugar to increase uptake through a insulin response, and as a bonus has caffiene effect products.

I could see why people might want something different, but for the actual creatine, as long as it’s not ethyl ester I don’t see what the problem is. His father has done something nice for him, and as long as the kid puts in effort in the gym, it will have a positive effect.[/quote]

There’s nothing wrong with CEE either. It just tastes like shit and has no ADDITIONAL benefits over creatine monohydrate.

Where is the scientific proof this stuff is junk? Has anyone submitted a sample of this for laboratory analysis for testing?

Maybe it is pure crap or maybe it is a very good and inexpensive product but until I see conclusive evidence (composition analysis or people who have tried and gained or not gained from it) then the debate is worthless. Saying a product is worthless (or great) just based on its label and where it is purchased is not helpful.

Also many companies buy their raw materials from the same source and it is relabeled. I am not saying that is the case here but in my line of work I see this often and it amazes me how just the sticker or label on the product causes people to associate “cheap” or “quality” with it. Marketing and branding is everything (unfortunately).

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
Stop wasting your time at Wal-Mart and buy from Biotest.

Who cares whether something is free? Junk is Still junk.

Did you read his post? He got it for free. Some of you guys come across as paid shills for Biotest.

To the OP, thank your father.[/quote]

My response was tongue-in-cheek as I stated the exact thing he said he didn’t want.

Get a sense of humor.

[quote]husker29 wrote:
Where is the scientific proof this stuff is junk? Has anyone submitted a sample of this for laboratory analysis for testing?

Maybe it is pure crap or maybe it is a very good and inexpensive product but until I see conclusive evidence (composition analysis or people who have tried and gained or not gained from it) then the debate is worthless. Saying a product is worthless (or great) just based on its label and where it is purchased is not helpful.

Also many companies buy their raw materials from the same source and it is relabeled. I am not saying that is the case here but in my line of work I see this often and it amazes me how just the sticker or label on the product causes people to associate “cheap” or “quality” with it. Marketing and branding is everything (unfortunately). [/quote]

No it’s not. If you have some base of knowledge, you know tht fructose and other forms of sugar replish liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen like malto and dex. This does not mean it’s ‘junk’. But it does mean it’s sub-optimal. You don’t need to know where the company buys its raw materials to know this. Some things you DO know just by reading a label if you understand how the ingredients affect the body.

I had that stuff at one time, with water it tastes a lot like bubble gum. Its too sugary, grainy and thick for me, but it’s not bunk.

People need to stop wasting their cash on brands. Big brands cost a lot because they spend a lot of cash on marketing so that everyone believes it’s worth spending a lot of cash on. This is why certain name brand shirts for example cost $70 while the exact same shirt without the name brand costs $15. The difference in quality is usually minimal while the difference in marketing is extreme. Some companies pay celebrities more to endorse their product than it costs to manufacture millions of units of that product. Fuck brand names.

I use Body Fortress protein and it works as well as any other protein I’ve used as far as I can tell. Plus Walmart is a mega corporation that buys in extreme bulk so that they can pass their savings onto us. The same product probably costs twice as much at a “sports nutrition store.” Drink that creatine bro, it’ll do you good.

I use this stuff. If you compare this to simple creatine it’s more expensive per serving, but if you mix your creatine with fruit juice or gatorade or something else besides water you have to factor that into the total serving cost. Incidentally and for what it’s worth the label lists dextrose as the sugar source (it’s first on the list).

I use this stuff because it’s fairly cheap. I mix one scoop with 30 ounces of water. The directions indicate mixing one scoop with 6-8 ounces. I do this as a way to up my water intake. Even diluted like this it’s plenty sweet. The only negative with this I see is that it’s a lot of empty carbs (150 calories), but I figure it’s a way for me to make a sizable portion of my water intake more paletable and I’m getting in my daily dose of creatine. I also throw in 5g of L-glutamine. I see this as a PWO recovery drink. I have a meal immediately following my morning workout. Then an hour or so later I’ll have this drink. It works for me and I seem to notice better recovery when I do this versus when I don’t (minor difference though but still every little bit helps).

I squatted 10 pounds more today so it must work great. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Eielson wrote:
I squatted 10 pounds more today so it must work great. :P[/quote]

What’s your training like? You could have just, you know, gained muscle.

I know where he is coming from, due to misinformation at my school taking creatine has become comparable to taking steroids. Sadly, everyone believes it, so I don’t even bother convinving people otherwise.

Luckily I don’t have the choice of taking creatine anyway, because like Padilla I went through constant arguements and fights with my dad over taking pure whey.

[quote]Zelazo wrote:
I know where he is coming from, due to misinformation at my school taking creatine has become comparable to taking steroids. Sadly, everyone believes it, so I don’t even bother convinving people otherwise.[/quote]

Yeah I just mix some and drink up. Nothing you can do about the collective ignorance of the masses.

My parents made me earn the right to take supplements. They wouldn’t let me take any at first and didn’t give me a reason why. I couldn’t understand it; they’re both registered nurses and know the value of protein and creatine (they aren’t idiots like many in their profession).

So, I did some research and explained how it would help me out as far as getting stronger and becoming a better football player, which is what I lived for during high school. After I gave then a spiel about the benefits of both, they bought me some. They just wanted me to know what I was putting in my body. Clever people.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
Eielson wrote:
I squatted 10 pounds more today so it must work great. :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s your training like? You could have just, you know, gained muscle.[/quote]

I was kidding. :slight_smile:

But since you asked, I’m getting ready to start Starting Strength.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
Stop wasting your time at Wal-Mart and buy from Biotest.

Who cares whether something is free? Junk is Still junk.

Did you read his post? He got it for free. Some of you guys come across as paid shills for Biotest.

To the OP, thank your father.

My response was tongue-in-cheek as I stated the exact thing he said he didn’t want.

Get a sense of humor.

[/quote]

In that case it was kind of funny.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
I was kidding. :slight_smile:

But since you asked, I’m getting ready to start Starting Strength.[/quote]

I have no idea what it is but the name sounds pretty self-explanatory.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
Eielson wrote:
I was kidding. :slight_smile:

But since you asked, I’m getting ready to start Starting Strength.

I have no idea what it is but the name sounds pretty self-explanatory.[/quote]

Rippetoe’s

Do whatever you feel like with it. Biotest has some good products no doubt, but honestly their are products far superior to some of Biotests stuff out their (like their Superfood product for example, their are a few companies that sell far more beneficial Superfood concentrates/powders than Biotest)

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
Zelazo wrote:
I know where he is coming from, due to misinformation at my school taking creatine has become comparable to taking steroids. Sadly, everyone believes it, so I don’t even bother convinving people otherwise.

Yeah I just mix some and drink up. Nothing you can do about the collective ignorance of the masses.

Luckily I don’t have the choice of taking creatine anyway, because like Padilla I went through constant arguements and fights with my dad over taking pure whey.

My parents made me earn the right to take supplements. They wouldn’t let me take any at first and didn’t give me a reason why. I couldn’t understand it; they’re both registered nurses and know the value of protein and creatine (they aren’t idiots like many in their profession).

So, I did some research and explained how it would help me out as far as getting stronger and becoming a better football player, which is what I lived for during high school. After I gave then a spiel about the benefits of both, they bought me some. They just wanted me to know what I was putting in my body. Clever people.[/quote]

My parents are both just classic cases of “Toxic People.” They’re both terribly unsupportive of my goals and I get yelled at for trying to eat healthy.

My dad has tunnel vision when it comes to protein, and he picked one random type of whey and that’s all I’m allowed to drink. I spent hours doing research one day, and found out about all the useless/junk ingredients that the brand used, compared it to Metabolic Drive, basically made a whole presentation and ended up getting grounded because of it.