T Nation

Body Composition on a Bulk

Dont know whether its been done before but was wondering what supps, cycles, ideas people used to maintain or improve their body composition during a bulk?

People suggested reducing food on off days, but i thought it might be bad for recovery. I thought maybe reduce carbs and increase fats on off days with protein the same?

What does things like;
-fish oil
-apple cider vinegar, or
-cinnamon
do for body composition? Any improvements?

Lastly: Been smashing the whole milk to keep the cals up, so do think if im keeping the weights heavy 5-8 for compound lifts, training 4 days a week and eating clean the fat will remain in check or improve seeing as i am 18%BF and used to eat like shit except for the past 2 months :slight_smile:

up thread

If you add more muscle than fat, chances are you’ll look better. But you will put on fat, that’s pretty much unavoidable.

of course, put on a little fat so far, but was wondering wat would be helpful to make sure it stayed in check

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:
of course, put on a little fat so far, but was wondering wat would be helpful to make sure it stayed in check[/quote]

The one thing I’m doing differently on my current bulk than the one I did a few years back is that I’m definitely going to add 2, maybe 3 conditioning sessions a week to keep BF% in check.

What does things like;
-fish oil
-apple cider vinegar, or
-cinnamon
do for body composition? Any improvements?
[/quote]

These regulate blood sugar levels. They’re good to take whether you’re bulking or cutting.

Just make sure you’re training hard enough to put the extra calories to good use.

conditioning sessions meaning calories at maintenance or wat?? or u mean cardio?

so basically:
-have maintenance days,
-throw in 2 HIIT training,
-wack in some fish oil during meals,
-some ACV on my salad,
-some cinnamon in my shakes
-train like a motherfucker

any other ideas?

Side note:
training 4 days, then HIIT on wed, sat would be a good idea???

pancakes.

mmm pancakes, check :wink:

any other ideas?
[/quote]

Keep a food log for at least a week.

It’ll keep you honest with how much you actually eat. A lot of new guys (including myself) don’t realize how little they’re eating until they keep track.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
pro-a-ggression wrote:
any other ideas?

Keep a food log for at least a week.

It’ll keep you honest with how much you actually eat. A lot of new guys (including myself) don’t realize how little they’re eating until they keep track.[/quote]

Q

F

T

before i was eating around 2300-2700 when i wasnt actively logging food consumption. once i did, i was like “shit its 11pm and i need to eat another 1000 calories!”

so i would just find whatever foods i needed to meet my caloric/protein/fat/carb/whatever requirements for the day. food logs = success, its unavoidable until you can comfortably eat enough food without having to think about it

yeah have a food log, wasnt not gaining weight cos i am, but just wanted to not get to fat… and no i never had abs so yeah no hawt abzzzzzzzz 4 me :wink:

I see you like Opeth. So do I

/hijack

Check out “The Quality Mass Diet”

Many on this site advocate eating everything in sight when bulking, but it seems that most of the coaches do not.

yes opeth is awesome, hijack appreciated and deserved

Dont put Apple cider vinegar on anything. Take a tea spoon before your meals. If you put it on food you will completely fuck up how it tastes. Its rough shit, put just knock it back. :slight_smile:

Bro trying to monitor fat so closely is a shit mind set. Your trying to build muscle, so go do that. Now i didnt say go eat everything in site, i said go build muscle. Always eat for muscle. If you see your getting horrible fat, cut back kcals a bit.

Your clearly eating too much, but until you actually do put on silly amounts of fat, keep eating and fucking make sure your traning is down so the extra food you eat no has choice but to put muscle on your frame.

not on food aye, so just a shot ahaha ok ill try that

• 1-3 Conditioning sessions a week.
  • Carbohydrate cycling.

I did this during a 40lb mass gain earlier in 2008, it did very well for me.

Granted this was over a very long period of time (6 months).