Body By Gregron 2.0

MiM- I know right? Thats +5lbs of bloat right there… Working on my “power lifter” look… Ink and DF would be proud lol

Maschy- The elusive Mascherano graces my log, I feel lucky :slight_smile: I dont think that (actualy I know that I dont) eat 2200 cals a day. I have openly admitted to my love of sweets and adult beverages so when I find myself indulging on those I’m probably way over that lol… But that was just a “normal” day where I didnt eat out and didnt happen to have any junk. Keep following along and dont be a stranger!

WF- hahaha I love all the BSing that goes on in here. Thats half the fun. If I just logged my workouts and that was all it would be boring fa show. I agree that “being lean, strong and athletic is way better.” That fits in with my goals and aspirations so I’m all for it. Others might just want to be freakin huge and thats awesome… but I’ve found that its just not for me.

hlss- I will be addressing your questions in the following BOOK that i already wrote lol… Its gonna get its own post so that people who want to skip it can do so easily.

MY IDEAS ABOUT LIFTING AND ATHLETICISM

hlss- I feel like you’re on the right track with what you’re doing now. Like I said over in your log, I would keep the jogs to the gym in your routine for a little more cardio. I like to mix things like power cleans, DB snatches, KB swings, weighted burpees, box jumps, and jump ropes into my routine to keep me feeling “athletic.” If I cant go run around with my little cousins at birthday parties or jump on the trampoline with them without hurting myself of being out of breath/sweating like a pig then whats the point of lifting all those weights? I hate to use the word “functional” but its kind of appropriate here. grabs my flame retardant shield and prepares for the onslaught

If you watch the training vids that they’re putting out now of the Indigo guys CT has them doing “active rest” periods where they are actually still lifting during their “rest” time. I never really heard of “active rest” before that but I’ve been doing it for a while. I think doing things like that will keep you from turning into a fat blob and will also help you keep some of your athleticism/explosiveness while gaining weight.

I play in a flag football league that has games every saturday. thats a couple hours of sprinting, cutting, blocking, jumping every week. I also get out during the week and throw routes one or two times. I usually like to play basketball 1-2 times a week whenever I can. On top of all of that I’m lifting 5 days a week and doing “cardio” 3-4 days a week too. I am hoping to get into the fire academy so I do some stair running with my weight vest and other things like that as well to stay fit and help out with that job description. I think the overtraining thing is kinda BS and I KNOW FOR A FACT that your body can handle a lot more than you think it can.

With the amount of training I did when I was in the military and going through the selection process, I did so much stuff it was ridiculous. We would literally be PTing 10+ hours a day! you’d do open ocean swims of 1-3 miles, run 6-8 miles and do more pushups, pull ups, flutter kicks and 8 count body builders than you could even count EVERY SINGLE DAY. Never was I “overtrained”… my body just adapted.

I think that the key to staying athletic is doing what WhiteFlash said… dont sacrifice all of your outside activities for the sake of gaining weight. If you like to play basketball then keep playing. If you’re into swimming or volleyball or baseball then you should keep doing those things. Your body will gain weight and adapt to playing those sports if you keep doing them. If you take a year off from swinging a golf club to put on 40lbs your swing is going to suck balls when you finally pick up a club again. However, if you continue playing golf while you gain weight your body will adjust and adapt to the extra size/weight.

As far as staying limber goes, I also thing your on the right track with the Agile 8 stuff. Thats very good for your lowerbody and should help keep you flexible while you’re putting on size. I would also look into the Corrective Complexes article from last week. They had lots of good warm up stuff for upperbody as well as lower body. I would do some of that to help keep you lose and ready to rock.

If you have something that you like to do, dont sacrifice it completely for the gym… Its not worth it. if your goal is to be the next Arnold, Cutler or Ronnie… then yeah maybe you eat, sleep, breath, live in the gym but if not? I say its not worth it. You’ll be a lot more happy in life if you do the things that you enjoy ALONG with weight training.

Sorry for the rant guys. thats just my outlook on training.

I dig it.

And I agree. I don’t want to be big either :slight_smile:

Just fit, healthy and keepin my parts where they should be. Gravity is a bitch on us old ladies. Get it right, keep it tight I say.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

(found out what it means to me, gregron)

Amen. I got flamed a bunch for jogging in the BOI section, but I don’t care. I truly don’t believe in overtraining either. Maybe there are better ways to be ‘anabolic’ than jogging, sprinting, etc, but I’m not planning to be Ronnie anytime soon. I just want to look like you when I grow up.

And, for the love of God, will somebody, PLEASE, teach me how to Dougie?

• HolyMac said he would, but he didn’t…

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
Amen. I got flamed a bunch for jogging in the BOI section, but I don’t care. I truly don’t believe in overtraining either. Maybe there are better ways to be ‘anabolic’ than jogging, sprinting, etc, but I’m not planning to be Ronnie anytime soon. I just want to look like you when I grow up.

And, for the love of God, will somebody, PLEASE, teach me how to Dougie?

• HolyMac said he would, but he didn’t…[/quote]

You can youtube it and two people from Glee show you how.

Please refrain from asking me how I learned that.

Hahahahaha

you dont want to be huge?

cries

MiM- Thats what I’m going for too! Gotta keep things tight like a tiger

Bug- You know how to cut to the core of me.

hlss- Yeah sprinting is a good idea but I like jogging to the gym. I do that now, although its only like 500 yards. Its a nice warm up and the jog is definitely slooooooooow. Just getting the blood flowing. I dont know how to dougie but if you watch that Glee video you’re not allowed back in my log. If you’re going to learn how to do a dance it will be a respectable way… from black guys in the hood.

scj- please tell me that you’re not a Gleetard?

Ct Rock- Naaaah man. I had the desire for a while and once I hit 219 (not huge I know) I didnt like how I felt. My joints didnt handle the extra weight very well and I didnt feel great. Decided to trim things back and stick between 200-210. I think thats my sweet spot.

Pretty good leg day today but it was a short workout. Have some wedding issues to attend.

jog to the gym,
stretch, foam roll, dynamic activation
KB goblet squats/kb swings

Front Squats:
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 4 (belt on at this point. Wanted to try it out with one of the community belts. I liked it… VID)
315 x 2 , 1, 1 (maybe coulda got three but didnt feel very tight on that second rep… VID)

Back Squat: just to see… felt VERY different from front squats, tried these cause jams98 asked me about it
315 x 6 (coulda done more, didnt feel heavy in my legs but I felt like I was leaning forward a lot)

EDIT: New song for the video! Check the jam :slight_smile:

Stiff Leg DL’s off of a 3 inch box:
135 x 8
225 x 8, 8

HS Hack Squats: Never done these but I liked em
1pps x 8
2pps x 8
3pps x 8

GHR’s:
3x8

Donezo… pretty good workout.

I’ve never gotten much out of back squats. Some do, but not me. I tried out box back squats the other day w/ only 95lbs on the bar and even that felt awkward. Front Squats FTW

Vid’s cool, but that song makes me think you cry out of your vagina.

hlss- i built a good amount of leg strength (and booty meat) from back squats… but never got all that much quad development out of it. Hoping that FS change that.

WF- hahaha the original song was “Pitiful” by Blindside but it was blocked so I went the opposite direction. That T Swift song was playing on the wedding blog that my fiance was going through so thats where I got it. I will admit that I like that song tough.

also… check out my new boots! they’re sick! the color is a little off because of the flash on the photo but they are bad A fa show! I’ve been wanting some boots for a long time now but havent found the right ones until now. So pumped!

yay for back squats!!!

[quote]gregron wrote:
also… check out my new boots! they’re sick! the color is a little off because of the flash on the photo but they are bad A fa show! I’ve been wanting some boots for a long time now but havent found the right ones until now. So pumped![/quote]

Not sure if boots work at well as running shoes, but now we can give you a proper body fat %

I come to the men’s room to get away from all the diet talk and calorie counting. sheeesh.

I am a big advocate for balancing gym and life. they compliment eachother not compete with eachother.

As for cardio and lifting: depends on your overall goals. If a guy just wants to look/feel athletic. sure. If some skinny kid wants a massive bench/squat and gain 50lbs of muscle. no.

Boots are way cool and the squats were awesome- congrats on the PR.

No greg, I can honestly say I’m not a glee fan. I watched a half episode here or there when I had a girl roomie (my concession for making her watch NBA playoffs every night) but I can’t understand how anyone likes that show.

Off topic but I had to defend my honor.

Greg, I just jogged 3 miles…Am I overtrained?

Hey man just found your log, we are very similar… I recently got out of the army, I am now a student, and I am trying to get a job as a fire fighter (currently 2nd on the list), so I guess what I’m saying is I’m following lol

Cool stuff. Are you prior or current service? Forgive me if I missed it, I’m real dumb.