T Nation

Body as Bacterial Landlord

Interesting article in Wall Street Journal on symbiotic relationship between the humans and bacteria:

Interesting, thanks. It’s a shame Louis Pasteur’s 19th century view of bacteria as all evil is still the dominant one. Instead of:

“We are living beings that co-evolved with micro-organisms,” Dr. Segre says."

But I guess for most doctors just prescribing antibiotics is a useful way to get rid of the patient, for a while at least.

well if the patient is healthy long term where’s the profit right ?

[quote]Belmondo wrote:
Interesting, thanks. It’s a shame Louis Pasteur’s 19th century view of bacteria as all evil is still the dominant one. Instead of:

But I guess for most doctors just prescribing antibiotics is a useful way to get rid of the patient, for a while at least.[/quote]

Yes, because I want my milk to spoil within 3 days of it being in the store…take a 300 level course on microbiology and come back to the discussion.

[quote]elih8er wrote:
Belmondo wrote:

But I guess for most doctors just prescribing antibiotics is a useful way to get rid of the patient, for a while at least.

Yes, because I want my milk to spoil within 3 days of it being in the store…take a 300 level course on microbiology and come back to the discussion.

[/quote]

And you little kid, take some reading comprehension courses and come back to the discussion instead of playing smartass.

http://readingvideos.com/category.aspx?categoryID=3

Doctors prescribe antibiotics for a good reason and it is not about getting patients out of the office. If you have a staph infection you are going to need a regiment in order to prevent it from turning it into something much more serious.

You encounter pathogens on a daily basis, but when an infection becomes obvious such as having a large pump which is oozing shit, your body needs help.

Some people who may have chronic head “colds” may have a persistent nasal strep infection. If undiagnosed and a person thinks its just allergies there can be disastrous consequences.

A very close friend of mine had a such an infection which later entered his bloodstream attacked his mitral valve disintegrating a large portion of it resulting in a mild stroke and open heart surgery.

The antibiotics used for staph and strep also act on our fauna, because of the similarity in membrane ion channels throughout different species of bacteria. There is a level of specificity, but not anywhere near what would be ideal to protect our natural flora. This is just the surface of it.

There is a lot more going on than what is being said by the side which is criticizing how we deal with bacteria.

Yes but the overuse of antibiotics is the reason why bacteria are getting harder to fend off. With every treatment of antibiotics a few bacteria survive because they are immune, if you are constantly flushing your body with antibiotics you will eventually reach a point where the bugs that are killing you are immune to damn near everything.

The human immune system is very powerful and is capable of fending off damn near everything given a chance. Let your body do its job properly, eat and sleep enough to have the energy to heal.

[quote]Nanan wrote:
Yes but the overuse of antibiotics is the reason why bacteria are getting harder to fend off. With every treatment of antibiotics a few bacteria survive because they are immune, if you are constantly flushing your body with antibiotics you will eventually reach a point where the bugs that are killing you are immune to damn near everything.
[/quote]

Right. Antibiotics have their place. They are lifesavers sometimes. Believe me, I was recently diagnosed with Lyme disease and I may, unfortunately, have to undergo massive antibiotics to rid myself. However, thanks to OVERUSE of antibiotics, we may be on our way to creating a superbug that we won’t be able to stop.

Lynn Margulis’ work is FASCINATING on this subject (bacteria, etc). The mitochondria of our cells used to be an independent organism! It’s interesting to speculate what possible evolution we may be slowing down/halting due to our war on bacteria. My bacground isn’t in biology, so maybe T-nationers in the know would like to speak to this.