Bodog -- * Spoiler Thread

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

• This thread is for those who have already seen the Bodog Fight event last night (Saturday, April 14th). If you haven’t watched it yet but are planning to and don’t want to know what happened, stop reading now! *

To start things off, I thought Lindland was ballsy (a.) to take the fight in the first place and (b.) to take it right to Fedor as soon as the bell rang.

Does anyone else get the sense that maybe Fedor is just naturally “a bleeder?” He tends to get cut badly a lot in fights, doesn’t he? Not that it affects him at all – it doesn’t. He still wins. But geez, you would’ve thought someone had stabbed him in the eye the way he was bleeding in that fight!

On a tangential note, what the fuck was with Jean-Claude Van Damme being given total Guest of Honor treatment?!? Did anyone in the Western World even know he was still alive?? Man, the rest of the world really is, like, 20 years behind in terms of pop culture. Weird. They seated the guy next to fucking Vladimir Putin (!), like he’s important or something! Dude hasn’t had a hit move since the Reagan administration!

And then that speech he made was just such a “what the fuck” moment. I almost felt bad for Fedor. Here he was after winning his only ever major fight held in his home country, a big homecoming of sorts, and this washed up schlepp of a has-been is taking the mic and making a speech, in HIS ring?? Just weird.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Does anyone else get the sense that maybe Fedor is just naturally “a bleeder?” He tends to get cut badly a lot in fights, doesn’t he? [/quote]

Yup. Did you see his first fight with Nogueira? He caught and elbow and started bleeding uncontrollably. Some guys are like that.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Damici wrote:
Does anyone else get the sense that maybe Fedor is just naturally “a bleeder?” He tends to get cut badly a lot in fights, doesn’t he?

Yup. Did you see his first fight with Nogueira? He caught and elbow and started bleeding uncontrollably. Some guys are like that.
[/quote]

It was a head butt, the elbow was from TK. But yeah, he’s just a bleeder. I’m the same way, just tap me in the nose and I start to bleed. On the other of the spectrum you have Mark Hunt, who took an axe kick from the heel of a shoe on the sofest part of his face and didn’t even bruise. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him bleed.

Overall, as an event, let me say I hope to God Fedor doesn’t sign with them long term. Lindland already has a 4 fight deal (counting this one), which I think he will regret. The ref’ing was atrocious, and for God’s sake someone turn on a light bulb. The commentators were annoying.

I WAS however impressed with President Putin’s presence. Just imagine the shit storm if George W showed up at a UFC. It was cool to see Aerts there as well, Jean-Claude I could care less about but apparently he still matters in Europe.

I thought I’d read that this (Bodog thing) was just a one-time thing for Fedor, that he’s still under a Pride contract but his contract with Pride allowed him to take a fight with another organization if some other organization happened to be staging a fight in Russia, because he wanted to have the ability to have a fight in his homeland.

So I think he’s still under contract with Pride, but for how much longer I don’t know, and how the UFC/Pride merger will affect him, I don’t know. But now that the 2 biggest organizations have merged into 1 hugest organization, I can’t see him deciding to sign long-term with a smaller organization like Bodog.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Damici wrote:
Does anyone else get the sense that maybe Fedor is just naturally “a bleeder?” He tends to get cut badly a lot in fights, doesn’t he?

It was a head butt, the elbow was from TK. But yeah, he’s just a bleeder. I’m the same way, just tap me in the nose and I start to bleed. On the other of the spectrum you have Mark Hunt, who took an axe kick from the heel of a shoe on the sofest part of his face and didn’t even bruise. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him bleed.

Overall, as an event, let me say I hope to God Fedor doesn’t sign with them long term. Lindland already has a 4 fight deal (counting this one), which I think he will regret. The ref’ing was atrocious, and for God’s sake someone turn on a light bulb. The commentators were annoying.

I WAS however impressed with President Putin’s presence. Just imagine the shit storm if George W showed up at a UFC. It was cool to see Aerts there as well, Jean-Claude I could care less about but apparently he still matters in Europe.
[/quote]

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Damici wrote:

[/quote]

The worst part about Fedor being a bleeder is he could easily lose his belt due to a referee stoppage.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

[/quote]

I haven’t had a chance to watch the whole event yet, but I thought it wasn’t to bad considering the organization is still relatively new. Throw in some excess fighters from Pride/UFC, maybe a few executives that don’t have a place in the new structure and they may be able to develop it into a competitive organization.

As for the refs, would they have been chosen by bodog or by a Russian commission?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

I haven’t had a chance to watch the whole event yet, but I thought it wasn’t to bad considering the organization is still relatively new. Throw in some excess fighters from Pride/UFC, maybe a few executives that don’t have a place in the new structure and they may be able to develop it into a competitive organization.

As for the refs, would they have been chosen by bodog or by a Russian commission?
[/quote]

Russia has no athletic comission governing MMA. The ref’s and all the judges are appointed by Calvin Ayre, president of BoDog.