Bod Pod - Lean Mass?

I had my body fat % Checked today, and it was very high. I am curious if going by LBM is the best way to determine caloric intake regardless of fat amount?

My LBM was measured with bod pod at 160lbs.
Could I use that number alone with some sort of formula to determine base calories needed… or do I have to use total body weight wich includes fat?

Thanks for the help…

[quote]designinme wrote:
I had my body fat % Checked today, and it was very high. I am curious if going by LBM is the best way to determine caloric intake regardless of fat amount?

My LBM was measured with bod pod at 160lbs.
Could I use that number alone with some sort of formula to determine base calories needed… or do I have to use total body weight wich includes fat?

Thanks for the help…[/quote]

That would depend on how fat you are. Many trainers recommend that LEAN BODY MASS be used for any calculations of estimated caloric intake if a person is over 25-30% body fat. Below 25-30% and body weight is used in order to make estimates.

I have also seen some use the calculated goal weight in those who are obese. If someone weighs 300lbs at 30% body fat and the goal is 15% body fat. 30% puts their lean body mass at 210lbs. That means that to be 15% body fat, their goal weight would be about 247lbs assuming absolutely no loss in muscle mass (which isn’t likely).

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That would depend on how fat you are. Many trainers recommend that LEAN BODY MASS be used for any calculations of estimated caloric intake if a person is over 25-30% body fat. Below 25-30% and body weight is used in order to make estimates.

I have also seen some use the calculated goal weight in those who are obese. If someone weighs 300lbs at 30% body fat and the goal is 15% body fat. 30% puts their lean body mass at 210lbs. That means that to be 15% body fat, their goal weight would be about 247lbs assuming absolutely no loss in muscle mass (which isn’t likely).[/quote]

Thanks for the reply,
With my LBM at 160, using a formula I get about 1950 base calories. Now, since I fall into the above 25% body fat range… should I add in calories for the days I lift, or just start out with this? I have a bitch of a time losing weight and my MAIN concern is to lift while maintaining what muscle I do have, but getting this unhealthy fat off.