Bob's Log

Good job Bob, keep humpin’.

I’ve taken Superfood in the past and don’t recall getting a boot of energy but everyone reacts differently to different things. If it’s working for you and you like it keep doing it. Might also try Rhodiola, sold here, it’s great for mood enhancing and supposed to help slim you down.

If someone’s lacking in certain nutrients, taking it can give a real boost. Have you had any such reaction to protein shakes or such?

Ok,

Update for Saturday - Remember I said earlier that I went fishing last week. Well I woke up last Wednesday morning covered head to toe in hives and my left eye was swollen shut. Went to the doc and it seems I have the world’s worst case of poison Sumac over 80% of my rather large body (apparantly your local friendly neighborhood fatboy got it on his head, face, legs, and hands - and then was spread to all the other parts of the body).

Off the Atkins diet I am again as she wants me to resume a more ‘normal’ diet till Monday. She gave me a shot (eye opened up in less than an hour - that was pretty freaking awesome) and she has got me on script antihistimines and Prednizone (steriods).

I am feeling much better this Saturday - but once again, a huge dent in my diet and workout plans… Come on Monday!

I have some curiosity about supplements for working out and male enhancement for us guys over 40 - there is so much spam and internet ‘noise’ I don’t know whats for real and what is just snake oil.

Is there maybe another thread somewhere on here that discusses this topic? I’m interested in what I should be taking to help me burn my weight - what to take to help bulk up - and does male performance enhancers actually work (I mean I love Ron Jeremy, but can I trust him with my Johnson ?? LOL).

I’m puzzled why a non-Atkins diet would help clear up a rash. Sorry to hear about your problems, Bob, hope things get better soon.

[quote]bobadams23 wrote:
I have some curiosity about supplements for working out and male enhancement for us guys over 40 - there is so much spam and internet ‘noise’ I don’t know whats for real and what is just snake oil.

Is there maybe another thread somewhere on here that discusses this topic? I’m interested in what I should be taking to help me burn my weight - what to take to help bulk up - and does male performance enhancers actually work (I mean I love Ron Jeremy, but can I trust him with my Johnson ?? LOL).[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the rash, that’s a pretty sucky kink in the plan.

As far as supps go, there are a ton that are just crap and some really decent products. Biotest makes some great stuff and I personally trust what they say 99% of the time.
The staples of most everyone here is going to be protein, creatine and fish oil. Those are really all anyone NEEDS, some guys like additional stuff for specific reasons, however at your training age anything more is probably just excess.
Keep in mind that you don’t want to try to bulk anytime soon, get the weight off first then think about building serious muscle. At your current level you will build a little muscle while burning fat but don’t obsess about building muscle right now, it will come.
I’ve tried a couple of the test boosters and honestly didn’t really see the point, maybe I didn’t try the right ones or at the right time. Someone else may chime in on these a little more than I.
Also you may have seen this by now:

[quote]bobadams23 wrote:
Depression - what Captain Morgan, Diet Coke, and weed was invented for - LOL![/quote]

Actually, exercise can do the same if you can get to that point. Nothing clears my head better than lifting heavy weights.

Have you said what type of training program you’re following?

Late to the party as usual–good to see you starting out on this.

I was trying to post on your thread yesterday but seemed to be having connection problems.

i just wanted to echo what a lot of the guys.n.gals have been saying but also that it would be really interesting to see what your training looks like.

Just one immediate thought for now : that when i started out on my own journey some 18 months ago that all i did was lots of walking,mainly outdoor but miles and miles , some days were just grindingly hard and i had to just keep saying to myself ‘its just the days work’.
It did pay off handsomely with some 10kg loss of fat and it was only then that i started on any cardio–the weight loss just made that so much easier.

Status update for Monday - was told to stay out the gym till body dries up. Still itching alot - could take up to 10 days (shit).

Cav - The doc said that the antihistimines and steriods works better on surface skin issues when there is less iron in the blood - thus, try to get back to a more ‘normal’ diet till all the itching goes away shrug

What about exercise NOT performed in the gym? Is that OK? :slight_smile:

[quote]bobadams23 wrote:
Status update for Monday - was told to stay out the gym till body dries up. Still itching alot - could take up to 10 days (shit).

Cav - The doc said that the antihistimines and steriods works better on surface skin issues when there is less iron in the blood - thus, try to get back to a more ‘normal’ diet till all the itching goes away shrug

[/quote]

Bob as a guy who has written many, many scripts for anti-histimines and steroids I have never heard the issue with iron and skin.
Not to Monday morning QB your Doc, all I will say is that Doc’s training in diet and exercise is very limited and according to the age of your Doc could be seriously out dated.
Now take that with a grain of salt from me and the internet, however with your goals in mind I would not stray off the dietary path.

Cav and DJHT - I don’t know. Could be that maybe she just does not like the Atkins diet. I plan on getting back on it very soon though.

ddot - average heat up hear has been in the high 90’s with heat indexes above 100. I’ve tried to get outside to move around some (thinking like you) and man does my skin let me know it. It is like I break out in hives and really start itching. I have been doing some light situps/crunchs and a few pushups (as many as I can do now) to try to at least stay limber, but nothing like I was doing in the gym.

Sorry to hear about all the confusion, Bob, that’s the last thing you need when starting out. Sounds like you’re determined to make it work, and that’s what counts.

The most sensible doc I ever had gave me a copy of Protein Power and prescribed multi vitamin with magnesium.

http://ironradio.org/Audio/112IronRadio_Dave_Tate_Going_Mental.mp3

Bob highly recommend listening to this when you have time.

Belated welcome and condolences over the sumac. Luck with the diet.

Morning Bob how is the itchy life?

Hi Bob, apologies but I only came across your thread this a.m. Welcome aboard and congrats on taking the first steps in gaining control over your health. I admire you for your courage and ambition.

Some very good advice has already been given here, just keep plugging away and take it slow. You didn’t get in that condition overnight, it will take some time to reverse course and head in the other direction.

We’re here for you whenever you get those feelings of doubt (and you will), just reach out!!

Best of luck and keep on moving forward!!

DJ - pure hell brother, but getting better. It has cleared up between the legs (thank God and modern meds for that) but the chest and arms are still holding on - Doc said it could take 7-10 days as I had it bad. It is getting better each day.

Late - thanks much for your comments!

We are not going any where Bob and just wanted to make sure you know we keep in touch. Hope it ends soon brother.

Ok, hitting the gym starting today and back on my diet.

Still a little itchy, but not no where like it was. I think I am safe to enter back into the gym.