Bobbi's Log

HELL YEA!

Wendler 7/16

DL
3x135 speed
3x155 speed
3x155 speed
13x175 PR (this puts my est 1rm at 245. Felt like I was going to puke after. Left 1-2 in the tank. Stoked!)

DL
5x10-95 flipped the mix grip for balance. Getting that low is the el-sucko.

Decline sits
5x10-45 60sec rest btw sets

Holy Deadlifts!!

Just realized I’ve been misspelling Wendler. whoops

Wendler 8/16

OHP
3x3-45 speed
3x60
3x65
12x70 PP

OHP
5x10-45

Chins

DB rear delts
3x10-12.5

BB curls
3x10-45

Form critique vids on the way as soon as I find the form critique forum/thread…

Bench form check

I realize its only 95 but I really suck at squats.

Deads. Never seen them. They look like RDLs. hmmm.

[quote]rcfromdb wrote:
Bench form check[/quote]

Pinch your shoulderblades tight together, and dig your upper back into the bench. Create a stable platform from which you can press, and engage your back in the lift so you can use more muscle.

Be wary of flaring your elbows out too soon. It looks like you tuck your elbows well, but there were a couple of temptations to chicken wing the elbows out.

I can’t see your feet, and I can’t tell if you’re driving through your heels. After it hits your chest and you start the press, think “HEELS!” and kick into the soles of your shoes (making sure your feet are stuck to the ground and don’t kick up). Leg drive will really help increase your bench numbers.

Don’t fear moving your grip around. I am 5’5" and have worked my grip to the point where I put my middle or pointer fingers on the rings. This means more chest and shoulders, leaving the triceps for the lockout. You should only work on moving your grip in small increments.

It looked like a light weight for you. Nice job! Just concentrate on keeping your form strong, tight, and the same every time! The bench press is a full-body lift, when done right. Your back, ass, legs, and chest/arms are all used.

[quote]rcfromdb wrote:
I realize its only 95 but I really suck at squats.

- YouTube [/quote]

No you don’t. Squats are incredibly complicated.

For me, I’ve been using Marudermeat’s advice re: wearing a backwards cap and keeping the bill on your traps. That definitely helps me keep my chest up, which is something you need to work on. As always, elbows forward (a weakness of mine) and chest up will help keep you erect when you begin your ascent, so you don’t good-morning the weight up.

It looks like you are sitting down more than back - I always keep in mind that my hips need to break back before anything.

You should also work on a lower bar position - you look like your bar is really high on your neck/traps, which can push you forward/down with heavier weights.

Keep working at it…We all are. Squats are wonderful and frustrating!

Also, feel free to go into the Over 35 Lifter and post your videos in the Feedback from Meat thread. The man is a saint and a genius.

Edit: Yeah, looking again, it looks like you’re getting a bit of lower back rounding at the bottom. Concentrate on popping that ass back. Depth is probably good if you are training for powerlifting.

[quote]rcfromdb wrote:

- YouTube [/quote]

I pull sumo so I can’t really say anything here.

:slight_smile:

Thanks for all the tips on bench/squat. I’ll have to read that a few times to absorb all that information!

I do have a question on lower bar position. How does that work? Where do you set the bar and get it to stay? Do you just lean forward a bit more? Sitting on wrists alone I think would be quite difficult at higher weights…

Thanks for putting up with my silly questions. I’ve always lifted for soccer and football (I train athletes all day). Athletic and power lifting are two different worlds but I’m learning!

Didn’t I say she is a rock star on form judging?

I’m just her stalker :slight_smile:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Didn’t I say she is a rock star on form judging?

I’m just her stalker :)[/quote]

That you did :wink:

[quote]rcfromdb wrote:
Thanks for all the tips on bench/squat. I’ll have to read that a few times to absorb all that information!

I do have a question on lower bar position. How does that work? Where do you set the bar and get it to stay? Do you just lean forward a bit more? Sitting on wrists alone I think would be quite difficult at higher weights…

Thanks for putting up with my silly questions. I’ve always lifted for soccer and football (I train athletes all day). Athletic and power lifting are two different worlds but I’m learning![/quote]

We are all learning! Even the PL’ing folk who have been at this awhile are still learning…
You are doing great!!

Wendler 9/16

I picked 3 things to remember from all the squat tips and focused on that. I wore a ballcap backwards and kept my head up, I lowered the bar, and I pushed my hips back at the start to “sit back” instead of “sit down”. Though it was stressful on my wrists as it got heavier, the weight came up so much easier than last time.

Sq
5x45
5x65
5x80
3x95
11x105 PR YEAH!

Sq
5x10-55

45 back ext
5x10-65

Here’s the new squat vid with those 3 things taken into account.

And you can’t really see where the bar is in the video but I moved it a lot lower. I took a picture to show the mark it left on my rear delt. Is that where it’s supposed to sit?

[quote]rcfromdb wrote:

- YouTube [/quote]

ya, it kinda did look like rdl’s, lol…how is your back feeling this morning? :wink:

Ripptoe has a cool video…simple but effective.

As far as bench goes, ya I’m still working on the technique there…
For squat, I’m still trying to figure out the elbow thing…I never knew you were supposed to keep them vertical, or pretty close to it, and then drive them FORWARD on the way up…

My back actually feels fine. I guess I’m so used to doing them this way it doesn’t bother me. ha

Oh and thanks for the RT vid. I’ve seen it many times. I coach the DL but there’s a big difference between coaching it and fixing it on yourself! As I was watching my own vid I was like “Pull back! Pull back! Oh that was terrible!”

If you squeeze your upper back really tight, your traps and delts will make a little shelf for the bar to sit on.

Your first and second squat video are worlds apart. Nice job!

PS. PMPM great info . I will be taking it with me to my next squat session.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
If you squeeze your upper back really tight, your traps and delts will make a little shelf for the bar to sit on.[/quote]

Yea I think I found the shelf. I used to bust ass on rear delts for show, but now they have a purpose! The thing is, if arms are down “driving forward” the shelf dissapears. I’ve watched multiple PL vids and I don’t see this arms perpendicular to the ground thing. They seem to just be in line with the body as it moves, not in front or behind it. (?)