T Nation

Bob Paris

What are everyone’s thoughts on Bob Paris? I really admire his physique and he always seemed like an intelligent dude in interviews.

another

and another

One of the most aesthetic physiques from any era in bodybuilding. To bad he was held back because Weider was a homophobe.

Yeah, a lot of people give the dude a lot of hate to this day because he was gay. Regardless the dude has a great physique and I wish there more physiques like this were on the big stages today.

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:
One of the most aesthetic physiques from any era in bodybuilding. To bad he was held back because Weider was a homophobe. [/quote]

One of the best for sure. Incredible symmetry…

Truly one of my favorite physiques. I read his autobiography a while ago, and it’s always interesting to hear the real stories behind what you think you know from the magazines.

You see the guy onstage, smiling, winning his Pro Card, but you have no idea that he’s sleeping on a mattress in a gym, eating nothing but tuna and mustard because that’s all he can afford… always seemed an intelligent guy to me as well.

S

Is that the Gorilla Suit: my adventures in bodybuilding? I was looking at getting that book. Think it’s worth the read?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Truly one of my favorite physiques. I read his autobiography a while ago, and it’s always interesting to hear the real stories behind what you think you know from the magazines.

You see the guy onstage, smiling, winning his Pro Card, but you have no idea that he’s sleeping on a mattress in a gym, eating nothing but tuna and mustard because that’s all he can afford… always seemed an intelligent guy to me as well.

S[/quote]

He’s one of the greats and reminds me of when I first started lifting.

I remember watching the TV version of The Flash and the main actor reminded me of Bob Paris a lot.

Just bought his book guerrilla suit(Think it was the on you were talking about Stu), I will let you guys know how it is once I get it and read it!

another

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:
One of the most aesthetic physiques from any era in bodybuilding. To bad he was held back because Weider was a homophobe. [/quote]
Not to get off-topic, but Paris’ placings were pretty consistent before and after coming out publicly, even though he retired just a few years after.

Everything I’ve read about Weider (especially the early days of Weider publications) points to him either flat-out not being a homophobe or him not minding enough to make it an issue regarding contests. I mean, Paris was “allowed” to be on the cover of Muscle and Fitness the month after coming out, and again two months after that. That’s not exactly burying a guy’s career.

In any case, he was definitely one of those classic/aesthetic physiques and was a really smooth, entertaining, and artistic poser.

[quote]Naked Sweat Drip wrote:
another[/quote]

Ideal physique IMO.

His book is on my reading list. I bet there are a few gems in there.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:
Not to get off-topic, but Paris’ placings were pretty consistent before and after coming out publicly, even though he retired just a few years after.

Everything I’ve read about Weider (especially the early days of Weider publications) points to him either flat-out not being a homophobe or him not minding enough to make it an issue regarding contests. I mean, Paris was “allowed” to be on the cover of Muscle and Fitness the month after coming out, and again two months after that. That’s not exactly burying a guy’s career.

In any case, he was definitely one of those classic/aesthetic physiques and was a really smooth, entertaining, and artistic poser.[/quote]

You also have to take into account Weider took advantage of people that just wanted to be in a magazine limelight. Meager one-time payments and using there image to sell his supplements which made him millions is not exactly supporting the guy either. I’m not exactly sure if Paris was under contract but most of the guys who got photo shoots that were in Weider publications weren’t.

Good point! Did not know that and it was definitely worth bringing up! Can you guys think of any bber’s out there today with physiques like this? ( just trying to keep the conversation going).

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:

In any case, he was definitely one of those classic/aesthetic physiques and was a really smooth, entertaining, and artistic poser.[/quote]

[quote]Naked Sweat Drip wrote:
Good point! Did not know that and it was definitely worth bringing up! Can you guys think of any bber’s out there today with physiques like this? ( just trying to keep the conversation going).

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:

[/quote]

Cedric McMillan is by far the most aesthetic physique in the current crop of top tier pros. Phil Heath is a big step in the right direction as well. Also can’t forget Brandon Curry when he shows up in shape. Lionel Beyeke also is a promising guy on the rise with great shape and lines. Jason Huh also has alot of potential but hasn’t really delivered on that on a pro stage…yet.

Gotta love phil! He definitely stood out at the olympia last year as not only having the size but being much more streamlined. I like Cedric as well.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S[/quote]

I never understood why bodybuilders are so broke. It seems like they could all make a killing stripping a few nights a week by just running through their posing routine on stage.

I think a lot of Pros, especially back in the days before supplement company and magazine contracts, focus 24/7 on their training, which really leaves very little time for a real job. The few National level NPC competitors I used to know back in early 2000’s made money selling various ‘stuff’ from out of their car, usually driving from gym to gym, training, making deals, constantly checking their pagers.

I got the impression that Paris made an okay living as a Pro, despite never actually winning a Pro show. His image was used on promotional material for various contests, was always a top draw, and I’m sure pulled in a good deal of guest posing spots.

According to his book, it’s not that Weider was homophobic, simply that he was concerned with selling an image via his magazines, and it may not have gone over well with the general public having an openly gay bodybuilder smiling at them from the cover of their uber-manly Flex.

S