Bob Hoffman

I am not a student of the history of the iron game, but one name that is rarely discussed on these forums is Bob Hoffman.

I live in central PA so I have driven by the York Barbell plant hundreds of times and have seen his name of the Weightlifting Hall of Fame and on YMCAs and parks.

Any reason he is not brought up when the old timers are discussed?

Isn’t this the same guy that challenged Joe Weider to a boxing match?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

I live in central PA [/quote]

Zap, you holding down the 717?

[quote]itsthenickman wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I live in central PA

[/quote]

717 baby.

Livin in South Central PA (Not south any more).

I have never heard of the guy.

He’s been discussed here from time-to-time. Check out some of the links in this thread and you can find most of his original work.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=532468&pageNo=0#532896

Sad he isn't known as much, one of those men that as well as having strength of body had strength of character as well, was a decorated soldier that served his country well.

Bob Hoffman took weight lifting out of the circus-type Sandow era. He was probably one of the greatest olympic coaches in lifting. I subscribed to his “Strength and Health” magazine from 1956 until its demise.

Unfortunately, he was not a good marketeer and Weider was able to push him aside with his fancy bodybuilding magazines. Two of Bob’s proteges I still consider as classics in body proportionment and strength, John Grimeck and Tommy Kono.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
I have never heard of the guy. [/quote]

I’m not sure whether or not you’re joking, but if you’ve really never heard of him, that’s too bad.

I really like the history of strength training and these old time guys are my favorites.

You know what would be cool? If T-Nation, every so often featured an article with a short biography about some of these guys. We would need someone geeky enough to write it. Hmmm, I’m geeky enough.

What does everyone here think? Would this be interesting or just one big snore fest? Cuz I’ll write something and submit it to TC. Don’t make me do it because I will.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Petedacook wrote:

I’m not sure whether or not you’re joking, but if you’ve really never heard of him, that’s too bad.

I really like the history of strength training and these old time guys are my favorites.

You know what would be cool? If T-Nation, every so often featured an article with a short biography about some of these guys. We would need someone geeky enough to write it. Hmmm, I’m geeky enough.

What does everyone here think? Would this be interesting or just one big snore fest? Cuz I’ll write something and submit it to TC. Don’t make me do it because I will.[/quote]

I am making you do it.

Petedacook wrote:

What does everyone here think? Would this be interesting or just one big snore fest? Cuz I’ll write something and submit it to TC. Don’t make me do it because I will.[/quote]

I think that’s an excellent idea. Up until probably 6 months ago, I was a prisoner to all the Weiderisms and other mumbo-jumbo in bodybuilding mags. I have very little knowledge in the history of strength training and I would definitely like to learn more.

What little bit I have picked up is how a lot of fads today more often than not have been fads in the past.

Do it Mike. I know that some of the BB mags have made attempts at this sort of thing. I would be very interested in what you would come up with.

That would be awesome; Hoffman deserves alot of respect for all he did for Iron.
Other’s I’d like to see written about are Hackenschmeidt (sp?) an Jowett.

Hoffman made his mark on Olympic lifting and his money from supplements, most notably soy protein. He fell by the wayside as bodybuilding and Weider rose. York basically followed Hoffman into his grave, as today it is yet another distributor of China’s CAP product line. Everything you ever wanted to know about Hoffman and York can be found in Tom Fair’s “Muscletown”.

[quote]itsthenickman wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I live in central PA

[/quote]

Born and raised in the 717.

Now I’m in the 410.