T Nation

Boatguy's DH/BFB/Juggernaut/Smolov Jr-Road back to 405FS

Oh, no. It was intentional. I even had to battle auto correct on my phone. It’s an accurate term.

Only going at 7mph. Much higher than that and I can’t focus very well.

31 August 2018
Juggernaut
5’s Accumulation
Day 4(sort of)

A(warm up sets). Band Pull Apart (multi-planar) - 30, 30;
A(work sets). Cable Row - 62.5 x 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8;
B. Bench - 135 x 10, 185 x 5 / 215 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5;
BBB Seated DB Press - 30 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10;
A. Reverse Pec Deck - 80 x 10, 10, 10;
B. UH Incline Cable Flye - 50 x 10, 10, 10;

Good day today. Had to switch tunes a couple times to help get my mind right. I listen mainly to metal when lifting, but sometimes (like beginning today) I’ll throw on Pandora and listen to my ‘2 Steps From Hell’ channel. Two Steps From Hell is an instrumental metal (melodic/symphonic type) group; this channel is a mix of a bunch of epic sounding stuff like you would hear in fantasy and action movies and video games. Normally I like it, but it just wasn’t doing the trick - plus Pandora plays commercials periodically, which can serve to annoy me just enough to pull me out of my hole. So back to the metal playlist it was.

Not much to write today, everything went smoothly. I will say I dislike benching with a bar that has really fast bearings. Since the shaft will rotate so easily within the collars, it makes the bar feel almost wobbly in your hands. Wasn’t using too much weight though, so I just laid my wrists back a little more than usual and pushed through.

Still trying to let the sternoclavicular thingy heal, so I am limiting big, stretchy movements. Thus, no behind the neck press today. Instead, I substituted a simple DB press. Did the same reverse pec deck and underhand flyes for assistance, no real issue there. Felt better than last week, and I have been noticing the last few days less achiness in that spot. Hoping this heals up and doesn’t turn into one of those nagging issues you can’t get rid of.

Since I popped something in my shoulder doing behind the neck press, my shoulder has never been right and that was 8 months ago or so. Still a deep stiffness in the joint that lives to show up on heavy bench feeling like I’m getting some AI joint separation ( outer clavicle joint). I hope yours recovers without incident.

That sucks.

Mine is inner clavicle joint, seems to be getting better. I’ll go a day or at least most of a day without really feeling it, then one odd move and it bugs me for a while. But still better than a week or so ago when it would be achey pretty much all the time.

02 September 2018
Juggernaut
Smolov Jr Day 1 (6 x 6)

Front Squat - 135 x 10, 185 x 5 / 245 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6;
A. Toe Press - 180 x 10, 10, 10;
B. Ab Wheel - 10, 10, 10;

First day of Smolov Jr is in the books. I have done the original Smolov base mesocycle a few times with pretty good success, but this is my first time doing Smolov Jr. The layout and workload are basically the same, but the set/rep counts on a couple of the days are modified (ex. - original Smolov day 1 - 4 x 9; Smolov Jr day 1 - 6 x 6)

Hit the gym after church, went through my pre-squat mobility stuff fairly quick and got down to bidness. No issues to speak of, but again, not moving a lot of weight. Think it was the third and fourth sets, I sort of zoned out unintentionally and had acouple of nice, smooth sets. Just up down up down, nice and smooth like a piston. Wasn’t thinking about form, moving the weight, nothing. Just…moved. I’ve hit that point on bench before but don’t recall it happening with any lower body moves. Realized what happened partway through both sets and was able to sort of observe without thinking about it or whatever. Two good solid sets. Well, they were all good, I didn’t notice any form issues and was conscious of where I have had problems in the past, those two were just really good sets. Used a timer for rest periods, so I kept it to right around 1:40 between sets.

Finished up, then supersetted toe press with ab wheel rollouts for a few sets and got out. Door to door, took me about 40 minutes, including warm up/mobility stuff. I’d like it to be shorter since I will be doing them in the mornings prior to leaving for class, but if I keep doing calf and ab stuff with the front squats, then that obviously will take up some time as well.

04 September 2018
Juggernaut
5’s Intensification (Pullup/OHP)
Smolov Jr Day 2 (7 x 5)

AM
Front Squat - 135 x 10, 185 x 5, 225 x 3 / 265 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5;
A. Standing Calf Raise Machine - 135 x 12, 12, 12;
B. Hanging Leg Raise - 10, 10, 10;

PM
A. Pullup - BW x 10, 40 x 5 / 50 x 2, 55 x 2, 60 x 5, 5, 5, 5;
B. OHP - 65 x 10, 85 x 5 / 100 x 2, 110 x 2, 115 x 5, 5, 5, 5;
BBB Underhand Incline Cable Flye - 50 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10;
A. Neutral Grip Pullup - BW x 10, 10, 10;
B. Lateral Raise - 25 x 10, 10, (no rest)25x12-20x8-15x6-10x6;
Gironda 8x8 Tricep Pressdown - 60 x 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8;

Second day of Smolov Jr, first day of ‘two-a-days’. Hit the gym early for front squats, then back after school for upper body. My early morning workout strategy: when alarm goes off, pound coffee (almost a cup), then lay back down for about 10 minutes. When second alarm goes off, get up and drink a serving of Plasma. Get dressed and head straight to the gym (it’s maybe 5 minutes from the house).

I got in and got my mobility done quick (while making sure I got quality prep in). Cranked through the sets with about a 60 second rest between. Had a little time when I finished, so I supersetted calf and abs again (hoping to do that every Smolov morning). Then it was back to the house for breakfast, shower and head to school.

In the afternoon after classes, I get home and take a short nap before pounding another dose of Plasma and heading back to the gym. Instead of using a TM for pullups, I am keeping the weight for pullups at half of OHP for that superset. Speaking of which, OHP weights seem a little low. Juggernaut is percentage based, and my TM is fairly low for OHP right now.

Both workouts went smoothly, and I haven’t felt any soreness yet from the multiple squat days (only day 2, LOL).

I added the tricep work at the end. The Gironda 8x8 is 8 sets of 8 reps (duh) done with minimal rest periods. I set my timer at 35 and around the 4th or 5th set remembered I was using 25 second rest periods last time I was doing this (it’s been a few months, what with all the bouncing around I’ve been doing). Normally you get a good pump off this one, but with the slightly longer rest periods than I needed I didn’t get as much as normal.

05 September 2018
Juggernaut
5’s Intensification

Deadlift - 275 x 5 / 295 x 2, 325 x 2, 350 x 5, 5, 5, 5;

Today’s session was super short. I only used one dose of Plasma, and all I did was the prescribed deadlift session for this week. Smolov Jr says not to deadlift, but like I said before, I’m going to try it and see how I feel. Not doing any accessory/assistance work with it, just the prescribed sets and reps. EDIT: Next week I am going to throw SGHP’s in with deadlift.

Today’s training felt fine, I don’t think I was in the gym 15 minutes. We’ll see if I’m sore at all tomorrow, or if it feels like it is interfering with tomorrow’s Smolov session.

Halfway through the second week of EOD Primo injections. I have to say, that was a great idea (if I do say so myself, ha). Last time I did a primo cycle at this high dosage (700/week) I was pinning 100mg every day (1mL), alternating glutes. While the cycle went great, my glutes were sore pretty much all the way through. Doing 200mg (2mL) EOD, if I get any soreness (varies) it’s gone in a day or so, and then it’s another day or two before I inject in that glute again (works out to three days between injection days on the same side).

Also increased my test dosage from my TRT level of 150/week to 250 for this week (using a leftover vial I had with my stuff), and then next week will start the 400/week test cycle proper. I’ll get a weight tomorrow morning (if I remember) and see where I’m at.

06 September 2018
Smolov Jr
Day 3 (8 x 4)

Front Squat - 135 x 10, 185 x 5, 225 x 3 / 285 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4;
A. Toe Press - 180 x 15, 15, 15;
B. Incline Sit Up - 20, 20, 20;

Today’s session took a little over an hour, and I’m not sure where the time went. Didn’t really track my rest periods during warm up (usually have to make myself wait a bit between those rather than jumping back in right after adding plates), but kept the work sets to right at 90 second rest periods.

Weight is starting to get into the ‘heavy’-ish range. Weight was still moving smoothly, and still at a decent clip. Still debating whether to increase by 5 or 10 pounds for next week. Weights are moving good so far, guess I’ll see how Saturday (last Smolov day for this week) goes.

Decided today to go ahead and inject a full 250mg test enanth. Figure this will raise my level a bit more before starting the 400/week Monday, so I get a longer time at the higher level.

07 September 2018
Juggernaut
5’s Intensification

A (warm up). Multi Plane Band Pull Apart - 30, 30;
A (work sets). 1 Arm Cable Row - 62.5 x8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8;
B. Bench - 135 x 10, 185 x 5 / 200 x 2, 225 x 2, 240 x 5*, 5, 5, 5, FSL RP 200 - 10-5-4;
BBB Seated DB OHP - 30 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10;
B. Underhand Incline Cable Flye - 50 x 10, 10, 10;
1 Arm Pressdown (Infinity Single) - 70 x 5-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1;

Decided to hit the gym before class today rather than after. Sitting in class (kind of sitting at work, or anywhere for that matter) tends to drain me of motivation, so I figured I’d get it out of the way ahead of time. Had a good workout, but it almost screwed me - I lost track of time at the gym, then fixed the wrong ‘start time’ for class in my head. Got there right at the appropriate time, but thought I had another half hour so I set up in the hallway and started killing time. 15-20 minutes later, when no one had exited the classroom (and no one was gathering in the hall to go in), it finally occurred to me I had my times screwed up. Lab teacher was cool and laughed it off, and let me do the quiz I missed after lab was over. Been like that most of the week. SMDH

SO anyway, the workout. Jumped into my normal bench and row workout for this day of Juggernaut. As I was warming up and then hitting the first couple prescribed sets, the weights felt a little heavy for some reason. I accepted this was going to be a grinder of a lifting session and kept going. Got to my main working weight and did the first set at 250 x 5. Dang, this is gonna be a grinder. Went to mark that set in my logbook, and there it was. Working sets were supposed to be at 240, not 250. (this would be foreshadowing, if I hadn’t already mentioned the fiasco at school) Reduced weight accordingly and kept going. Funny how the next three sets felt ‘just right’…

Moved to DB Press, and that’s where the time issue started. Made the mistake of pulling my earbuds and chatting with one of the trainers while I was doing those five sets. What normally takes me around 10 minutes took a bit longer (don’t even know how much), so by the time I finished the rest of my stuff I was scrambling to get showered and eat before heading to class.

Good session lifting wise, but time wise it either screwed me up for the rest of the day, or it was the first indicator how the day was going to be.

08 September 2018
Smolov Jr
Day 4 (10 x 3)

Front Squat - 135 x 10, 185 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 x 3 / 300 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3;
A. Standing Calf Machine - 135 x 15, 90 x 20, 20;
B. Body Saw - 10, 10, 10;

A1. Screw Curl - 30 x 10 / 40 x 8, 10, 10;
B1. Decline DB Skull Crusher - 25 x 10 / 35 x 8, 10, 10;
A2. Incline Curl - 30 x 8, 8, 8;
B2. Elbows-Out Extension (EOE) - 30 x 8, 8, 10;

Final Smolov day of week 1 is in the books. Went a bit later than I had wanted too (afternoon rather than morning), but had to run some errands and such.

Front squat warm up started off a little slow, and I have to say I was a little nervous going into the first work set. Kind of dumb, because I know I can do 300 with no issue. I was just being pessimistic, thinking my form was going to break down for no legit reason. I was wrong, and it did not. I did feel a bit too forward on a couple reps here and there but overall good session. Around the 5th or 6th set I really hit a groove, wish I could figure out how to spike that earlier in the workout.

Finished squatting and moved to calf and ab supersets. Normally on calves I emphasize the stretch and peak flex by pausing for a couple seconds at each position. Today, I intended to just crank out 20 rep sets and had to drop weight in order to do that - and it was still difficult getting all 20 in. Body saw, if you haven’t seen it, is sort of a dynamic plank. You get in the plank position with your feet on something that will slide (I use a towel on the wood center of the lifting platform). Then you slide your feet backward so your arms are extended past your head rather than lined up under you, (I pause slightly here) then return to starting position. No real flexion, but tough as shit to do properly (without swaybacking).

Finished those and hit some direct arm work. Haven’t done this in a while, so I started off conservative. This is part of my normal routine, so I will be adding reps and then weight as time goes on. Hoping to get some good solid growth on the ol’ pipes during this cycle.

All in all, good day in the gym. (even if it did take over 90 minutes - again, no idea where the time went)

10 September 2018
Juggernaut
5’s Realization
Smolov Jr Week 2

AM - Front Squat - 135 x 5, 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 3 / 255 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6;
(between warm up sets) Rack SGHP - 155 x 3, 175 x 3, 185 x 3, 195 x 3;
A. Standing Calf Raise - BW x 20, 20, 20;

PM-
A. Weighted Pullup - BW x 10 / 40 x 5, 45 x 3, 50 x 2, 55 x 1, 60 x 1, 65 x 8;
B. OHP - 65 x 10 / 75 x 5, 95 x 3, 105 x 2, 110 x 1, 120 x 1, 130 x 8;
A. Neutral Grip Pullup - BW x 10, 10, 10;
B. Lateral Raise - 30 x 10, 10, 10;
Gironda 8x8 Pressdown - 80 x 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 70 x 8, 8, 7;

Today felt really good. Got up early and hit the gym for front squats. Was kind of missing the high pulls, so I added them in during my warm up sets. I figured they aren’t real heavy, and an explosive movement couldn’t hurt with ramping up force production in prep for the sets ahead. Also, used my ipad to video all my work sets as a form check. Nothing of note, so far (not very heavy yet, though). Ran a timer between sets, to keep rest down to 90 seconds. It occurred to me watching my video that while my actual ‘rest’ is 90 seconds, I’m burning probably 10-15 seconds in set up before I start repping. Whatevs. It’s working so far, so no reason to change it. Finished those and cranked through three supersets of bodyweight-only standing calf raises and ab wheel rollouts. Did just bodyweight because I wanted to change up what I was doing a little bit.

PM

After class, got home and took a quick power nap (20-30 minutes) before heading to the gym again. One of the trainers has noticed I’m doing 2-a-days, and likes to yell at me ‘Nope, only once per day, get out’ when he sees me the second time.

Left lat was the site for my first high-dose test injection, and it got sore and knotted damn quick. I was a little worried it was going to impede my workout, but after the first few reps of bodyweight pullups I could barely feel it (still sore three days later, BTW). This is the ‘max’ week of this lifting cycle. Juggernaut goes by rep maxes rather than _RM tests, so it was max reps at a prescribed weight for pullups and OHP (pullups are considered an accessory move in the Juggernaut book, instead I use the same Jugg loading scheme for them - more interesting that way). Managed to get 8 pullups with 65 pounds around my waist, and 8 reps OHP with 130 - I was pretty happy with both. This will raise my training max for each by 2.5 lb per rep over 5 (because I’m finishing the 5’s block), so 7.5 pounds added to each (making both theoretical rather than tested).

Technically I’m supposed to raise both, but I will only raise my OHP TM. I have taken to keeping my working pullup weights at approximately half of my OHP weights. If I increased as I was supposed to, my pullup weights would climb much faster than my OHP weights. Doing it this way instead will keep the weights where I can focus on better reps rather than struggling to get the last couple sets/reps. I’ll still rep out when I’m supposed to, I just won’t adjust TM.

Finished the main moves and jumped into the BBB stuff. 5 x 10 doesn’t take too long, and then I hit the rest of my accessory stuff - neutral grip pullups and lateral raises. I had some ‘width’ complexes I got off of here a while back, I’ll have to dig through my notebooks and find them again just to spice things up and get max effect from all this.

Finished the session with Gironda 8x8 pressdowns. Not sure why I was doing only 60 pounds last week, that was way too light today. Bumped up to 80, but then lowered to 70 toward the end. Timer was set for 25 seconds, so adding in the fudge factor between beginning/end of sets and messing with the timer, call it 30-35 seconds realistically. Got a mad pump on my tris today (not so much last week), and didn’t quite get the last rep on the final set. Going by Gironda’s original plan you aren’t supposed to adjust weight like I did, but I wanted to get the reps.

11 September 2018 (17 years, never forget)
Cardio
Arms

Elliptical - 30:00

A1. Screw Curl - 30 x 10 / 40 x 11, 10, 10;
B1. Decline Skull Crusher - 25 x 10 / 35 x 10, 10, 10;
B2. Elbow Out Extension - 30 x 9, 9, 9;

Not sure what happened today.

Got to the gym, hopped on the elliptical for some fairly easy cardio. While I hate getting out of shape, I didn’t want to do anything that might interfere with Smolov - so 30:00 on the elliptical it was. Heart rate got up in the 150s, which is odd for me (I think - it’s been a while since I actually recorded my HR during cardio, but I don’t recall it getting that high on the elliptical of all things). Finished up, moved on to arms.

Did my warm up sets of curls and skull crushers, then moved into the working weight sets. And absolutely crashed. Suddenly got very fatigued, considering what I had actually done. Felt like I had run a shit load of sprints rather than take it easy on the elliptical watching Last Chance U (Netflix docu series - check it out, pretty good). Pushed through and finished the rest of what I had planned, then stumbled home and took a nap. At about 6PM. Got up and grilled burgers around 7, feeling tons better. Still felt kind of run down the rest of the night, but got up the next day feeling normal.

I’ve heard of ‘test flu’, but never gotten it before (also haven’t done a legit test cycle since 99, and that was not high concentration gear). Don’t know what it was, but it’s gone.

12 September 2018
Juggernaut
5’s Realization
Smolov Jr Week 2

Front Squat - 135 x 5, 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 3 / 275 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5;
Deadlift - 225 x 5, 275 x 3, 315 x 2, 335 x 1, 365 x 1, 385 x 7;
A. Seated Toe Press - 180 x 15, 15, 15;
B. Hanging Leg Raise - 10, 10, 10;

Wasn’t able to do front squats first thing in the morning today - friend of ours had a kid a couple weeks ago and came down with some pretty serious after-effects, so my wife has been spending nights at their house to help with the baby so our friend can sleep through the night. She’s not getting home till after I leave for school, so that leaves me running the kids to their school (right when I would have to be in the gym to fit my timeline). Hoping to get back to doing that when I can, I like squatting in the mornings.

Video’d my working sets again, and again saw no form issues that I could identify. Same timer setting, just cranked through the workout. Having some PIP from injections, one of which was in the left ventroglute. I was worried that would impede front squats or deadlifts, but I barely noticed it throughout.

Moved from that directly to deadlift, and definitely felt the effects of all that weight and volume. Prescribed weights ramped up to a rep max with 385 today. The weight felt heavier than it has in the past, but I’m pretty sure I know why. Stopped at 7 reps even though I felt like I had more in the tank. That (2 reps above 5 rep goal) gives me 10 pounds to add to my deadlift TM (5 pounds per extra rep lower body, 2.5 pounds per extra rep upper body). Next week the weight drops while the volume increases somewhat, as I start the 8 block using my new TM of 460.

Ran through toe press and hanging leg raises to finish up, and got out of there. Smolov takes more time than it would seem on paper, if you do a proper movement prep and warm up sets (which I kind of have to, at my age).

Random thought - several years ago I was doing front squats at one of the Fort Knox base gyms (they have several). Some kid comes up to me and asks what I’m doing. Apparently he had never seen or heard of front squats, but claimed he read all the muscle mags. Even back then, I couldn’t decide if I should laugh or what. I knew what front squats were from the time I started lifting. I didn’t necessarily do them back then, but I knew what they were.

You are a bloody beast man…

I mean…I do have a little assistance right now…

14 September 2018
Juggernaut
5’s Realization
Smolov Jr Week 2

AM
Front Squat - 135 x 5, 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 x 3 / 295 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4;
*Rack SGHP (s/s with warm up sets) - 165 x 3, 175 x 3, 185 x 3, 195 x 3;
(ran out of time, skipped calf and ab stuff)

PM
A. Band Pull-APart - 30, 30; Cable Row - 62.5 x 8, 67.5 x 8, 8, 8;
B. Bench - 135 x 10 / 155 x 5, 185 x 3, 215 x 2, 230 x 1, 245 x 1, 260 x 7;
BBB Seated DB OHP - 30 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10;
B. Underhand Incline Cable Flye - 50 x 10, 10, 10;
Infinity Single Pressdown - 70 x 5-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1;

Morning session went good. Felt good when I got to the gym, and carried that through the warm up. Alternated SGHP’s with my front squat warm up sets again, at a minimum they are having no effect on front squats. Working weight felt heavy when I unracked, but squats still went pretty smooth. Been using the same bar all week for front squats (slowest bearings of all the bars in the weight room), today was the first day it felt like it was trying to roll off my shoulders. I was able to adjust, though, and had no issues.

Took a little longer than I intended, so I had to skip the calf and ab stuff for today.

Came back in the afternoon to do bench. Band pull aparts during warm up and first set, then 1 arm cable rows with the working sets. Increased weight on rows after the first set, just didn’t feel like ‘enough’. Managed to get 7 reps at 260, last one was a bit of a grinder.

Moving on. Another week with behind the neck press. Clavicle feels almost fully healed, but still a little ‘twinge’ every now and again. Reverse pec deck and underhand flyes for some accessory work, and then finished up with the infinity single routine again. Seemed harder today, probably from repping out 260.

Squats will have to be in the afternoon again tomorrow, even though I prefer them in the mornings. Taking my daughter (HS senior) to check out a college, so we’ll be there a good chunk of the day.

Still trying to figure out next week. My wife is headed to the Carolinas to assist with the rescue effort (we are both rope rescue technicians, I am an EMT/she’s EMR, and she is certified swift water rescue where I am not - I am in college classes so she gets to do this one), so that screws up the ol’ home schedule. Hoping I don’t have to drop the squats, now that I’m two weeks in - combining a Smolov session with a Juggernaut session would be a long friggin day.

15 September 2018
Smolov Jr
Day 4

Front Squat - 135 x 5, 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 x 3 / 310 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3;

Longer day than I had originally planned. Tennessee Tech is about 90 or so minutes from us, and we had to be there at 9 am for the preview day, meaning we needed to be out the door at 7 to be safe. Couldn’t make the gym in time to be back and get on the road, so I planned on pushing it to the afternoon after we got back. We are literally just turning onto the main road when my daughter says, ‘You know they’re an hour behind us right?’ Well…shit. No, I didn’t. You waited till now to say something, rather than last night when we both could have slept an extra hour? (better than not saying anything I suppose, and sitting in the arena parking lot for an extra hour) If I had realized it earlier, I could have hit the gym and got this done first thing. Such is life.

So, spent the day checking out Tennessee Tech, which is a nice medium sized (I guess? I don’t know how campus sizes compare) college campus. Pretty campus, they still use the original buildings from the teens, twenties and thirties (refurbished, of course). Went through the whole deal, then drove about 40 minutes to visit with a friend’s dad who is in a long-term care facility following a stroke and some other stuff. Visited with him for a bit, and then headed home. By the time we got home, and I got my stuff together and headed to the gym, I had right at an hour to train (they close at 6pm on Saturdays). So everything other than front squats got dropped, including the SGHP’s I’ve been doing as part of my warm up.

Front squats went good though, had to play with the bar a little at first to find that spot where it was either rolling back into me or sitting neutral (I prefer when it tries to roll back on me, feels more secure). Didn’t mess with setting up the ipad camera either, just kept my head in the game and cranked through it as quick as I could.

Going off topic: we lost one of our pets on Friday. We’ve had a pet raccoon for over a year, and right about a week ago he got sick with something. The wife took him in (only one vet in the area will see pet raccoons, and he sees seven), they found an intestinal bacteria infection, gave him fluids and an antibiotic injection and sent them home with oral antibiotic to continue with. Next few days he seemed to be improving, then a few days ago (Wednesday-ish) he started going down hill hard. Friday morning he couldn’t stand up without weaving on his feet, and would growl when anyone came near him. Judging from the glassy-eyed stare he had, I think he was having trouble focusing. When my wife got home later that morning after I left (she’s been spending some nights with friends helping with their newborn - long story), he was still acting like that, so she took him back in and had to leave him (he apparently had a couple seizures on the way and at the vet). Friday afternoon she heard back from the vet, and after the prognosis she was forced to make the decision to have him put down. Vet was at a complete loss as to what could be causing his symptoms, so he asked permission to do an autopsy so he could figure it out, and my wife said yes (no charge to us for that last office visit or the autopsy). She’s taking it pretty hard, and I’ll admit it’s hitting me worse than I would have thought. I was on travel when she got him, and as much as I’m gone he never really warmed up to me…until I got home this time (about two months ago). Little jerk…you would start getting close right before you check out.

17 September 2018
AM - Smolov Jr Week 3
PM - Juggernaut
8’s Accumulation Day 1

AM
Front Squat - 135 x 5, 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 3 / 260 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6;
(during FS warm up sets) Rack SGHP - 170 x 3, 180 x 3, 190 x 3, 200 x 3;
A. Toe Press - 180 x 15, 15, 15;

PM
A. Weighted Pullup - BW x 10, 40 x 5 / 50 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5;
B. OHP - 65 x 10, 85 x 5 / 105 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5;
A. 1 Arm Pulldown - 70 x 8, 8, 8;
B. Lateral Raise - 30 x 10, 10, 10;
Gironda 8x8 Pressdown - 70 x 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8;

I’m really starting to enjoy front squats first thing in the morning. Not sure why, maybe it gets the ol’ juices flowing, and I already feel like I’ve accomplished something for the day. Same routine: first alarm goes off, pound about 8oz of cold brew coffee (black), lay back down. Second alarm goes off (about 20 minutes later), pound a serving of Plasma, get dressed and head for the door. Squats felt good, didn’t bother with video since everything has been running smoothly. Had the time this morning, so I did calf and ab work, as well as supersetting SGHP with my warm up sets.

Afternoon session - again, went smoothly. Since Juggernaut is a percentage-based system, certain blocks put you in a lower weight-higher volume phase. 10 and 8 blocks always make me feel kinda like a bitch, since I’m using such lower weights for OHP (105 today). Also sucks because the block number (8 currently) is also the target number for the final AMRAP set in week 3 of the training block. Makes it a lot more challenging to get extra reps and thus increase the TM.

Cable flyes, as usual, then on to accessory work. Decided to switch it up a little this week and do 1 arm pulldowns rather than neutral grip pullups. Moderate speed, controlled on the way down and up with a good squeeze at the fully contracted position - you’ll feel these the next day. Supersets with boring old lateral raises - I’m going to add something else to these to make them more interesting.

Finished up with the Gironda 8x8 again, stayed at 70 pounds today so I could focus on clean reps. Still had to dig a little in the last set or two, to get those final reps. If you’ve never tried this protocol, give it a whirl. I get a sick pump on pressdowns, but Vince (Gironda) had his guys using this protocol on everything. I read somewhere that some of his guys did their entire training routine using this protocol, with the same minimal rest (I stay at about 25-30 seconds for pressdowns - supposedly some of his guys were using that much rest time on bigger muscle groups).

18 September 2018
Cardio
Arms

Elliptical - 30:00

Arms
A1. Screw Curl - 30 x 10 / 40 x 10, 10, 10;
B1. Decline Skullcrusher - 25 x 10 / 35 x 10, 10, 10;
B2. Elbows Out Extension - 30 x 10, 35 x 8, 10;

Not much to say here. Did thirty on the elliptical, then went and did some direct arm training. No real changes this time. Felt way better than I did last week, I don’t know WTF happened last Tuesday, but I felt like hammered dogshit and then it was gone. Whatevs.