Board Presses?

what advantage do they have over benching in a power rack and setting the safety bars to different heights?

less safety than safety bars…

not sure what else

Easier to see the distance to the board than to bars in your peripheral.

And it also pushes down on your chest when you touch the bar to the board.

Both board presses and pin presses are going to work the top portion of your bench and your tris. But they are two different movements.

The board press is essentially a shortened ROM bench press. If you’re messing with pins in a rack, you’ll most likely be starting the movement from the pins rather than performing a normal bench movement. Board pressing eliminates that bounce that you’ll get if you lower the bar to the pins with any amount of speed.

One advantage to pin pressing is that you can do it without spotters. In the case of the boards, you’ll need at least one, preferably two, training partners to help out. And its not likely that your typical gym has 2x4s laying around for bench work.

Out of curiosity, why are you posting this in BBing? What are you looking to gain from either movement?

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Board pressing eliminates that bounce that you’ll get if you lower the bar to the pins with any amount of speed.
[/quote]
That quite about sums it up, especially in the context of the bodybuilding forum.

Of course, you could do bench presses with a shortened ROM and stop one or two inches short of the pins and just use them as a safety net in case you reach failure.

I’ve started doing floor presses because my arms are laggins and are my limiting factor in my bench.

Thought I’d mention it in case you go against the idea of boardpresses.

Both board presses and pin presses are going to work the top portion of your bench and your tris. But they are two different movements.

The board press is essentially a shortened ROM bench press. If you’re messing with pins in a rack, you’ll most likely be starting the movement from the pins rather than performing a normal bench movement. Board pressing eliminates that bounce that you’ll get if you lower the bar to the pins with any amount of speed.

One advantage to pin pressing is that you can do it without spotters. In the case of the boards, you’ll need at least one, preferably two, training partners to help out. And its not likely that your typical gym has 2x4s laying around for bench work.

Out of curiosity, why are you posting this in BBing? What are you looking to gain from either movement?[/quote] ← They’re nice (though specialized) tricep movements, you can progress fast on them and use a ton of weight?

Not that I want to answer for him, mind you…
Just saying, floor presses and board presses are quite useful to a bodybuilder in a gym with limited equipment where you can’t do neat stuff such as smith IH-CGP’S/S-RGB’s and the other heavy-duty bodybuilding tricep moves.

My current gym is like that… And you can’t just do free-weight CGP’s forever and ever and expect to make any kind of progress.

The safety rack I use, there is a pin setting that is less than an inch from my chest. On subsequent reps, I barely touch the safety bars.
Why the BB’ing forum? …I want to build my body with a horizontal press??? Need alternatives. Are we going to get into the “get you strong but no size” thing?

Also I like the dead stop press. I can set under the bar, get in position, establish the arch,… and press.
When I am in the mood, I use a protocol, “20 reps, however the fuck long it takes to get 'em”. Lighter weights, two or three sets. Progress through the weeks, it takes multiple sets. Sometimes I have to finish with 3 or more single rep sets.

No need to get an attitude, guys.

You have to remember that in my world, board presses and pin presses are max effort exercises used specifically to train lockout. For a powerlifter, boards are nice because they enable you to work your way down to the chest in a tight bench shirt.

I’m fully aware that heavy tricep exercises are going to eventually lead to bigger triceps, but I was curious about why you would choose them as it seemed unlikely that as a bodybuilder, or raw lifter in general, you would need to improve your lockout for any reason.

Also, I have no interest in arguing about anything. Especially getting strong but not gaining size. The bigger and stronger you are the better.

I simply came on here to explain the difference between two different lifts. If you don’t want that, I’ll gladly stick to Strength Sports and the T-cell.

Also, I have no interest in arguing about anything. Especially getting strong but not gaining size. The bigger and stronger you are the better.

I simply came on here to explain the difference between two different lifts. If you don’t want that, I’ll gladly stick to Strength Sports and the T-cell.[/quote]

? Maybe I’m having trouble comprehending this because of the language barrier, but who are you referring to (attitude, arguing) ?

I don’t think anybody minds you giving a powerlifters’ opinion on that exercise… You guys use it way more than we do, so imo your opinion is welcome.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
? Maybe I’m having trouble comprehending this because of the language barrier, but who are you referring to (attitude, arguing) ?

I don’t think anybody minds you giving a powerlifters’ opinion on that exercise… You guys use it way more than we do, so imo your opinion is welcome.[/quote]

Perhaps I misinterpreted the following quote. It seemed a tad hostile when I read it.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Why the BB’ing forum? …I want to build my body with a horizontal press??? Need alternatives. Are we going to get into the “get you strong but no size” thing?
[/quote]

rereading that, I did come across as kinda shitty. Apologies extended. Wasn’t intended as such. I just see so many topics ending up in myopic pissing matches. Some are rather enjoyable, most… not so much.

I am just trying to fill my tool bag. If one has a distinct advantage, I am unaware of it.

I like the low pin setting to work on my touch position in addition to what I mentioned above.
I don’t have a spotter and hate the smth machine.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
rereading that, I did come across as kinda shitty. Apologies extended. Wasn’t intended as such. I just see so many topics ending up in myopic pissing matches. Some are rather enjoyable, most… not so much.

I am just trying to fill my tool bag. If one has a distinct advantage, I am unaware of it.

I like the low pin setting to work on my touch position in addition to what I mentioned above.
I don’t have a spotter and hate the smth machine.

[/quote]

Board pressing without a spotter… Use a band or some such to keep the board from falling off if you want, but imo with a spotter it’s so much better as he can change boards within the set… From small to big (at least that’s what I’ve been doing lately). As long as reps are counted for each board and you make sure to progress… And he can obviously help you rack the bar…

But without a spotter I’d just stick to other exercises… Too dangerous imo if you fail just off the board and don’t manage to get the bar up to the pins…