Board Press Substitute?

If I were to train alone and do board presses, could I tie a string with a little fishing weight on the end of it, and have it hang from the middle of the bar at the right height for a 1-4 board press?

Then when I feel the little weight touch my chest I'll know when to press

The bench has safty catchers on the bottom so I can't crush myself, but I train at the local YMCA and good spotters are far and few.

I would sometimes use the power rack (most of the time in use), but when you set the pins to the right height you lose all the tension in your tris, which makes it far harder and a different exercise anways, also the groove is very hard to keep.

so… solo board press simulator, good idea? bad idea?

also, how thick is 1 board… 2 inches?

[quote]schultzie wrote:
If I were to train alone and do board presses, could I tie a string with a little fishing weight on the end of it, and have it hang from the middle of the bar at the right height for a 1-4 board press?

Then when I feel the little weight touch my chest I'll know when to press

The bench has safty catchers on the bottom so I can't crush myself, but I train at the local YMCA and good spotters are far and few.

I would sometimes use the power rack (most of the time in use), but when you set the pins to the right height you lose all the tension in your tris, which makes it far harder and a different exercise anways, also the groove is very hard to keep.

so… solo board press simulator, good idea? bad idea?

also, how thick is 1 board… 2 inches?[/quote]

I guess that would work although I doubt it would be the same as you are getting no energy transfer. You will also have to deal with reaction time. The biggest problem is probably that you would be focusing on feeling the weight hit your chest rather than form and the weight you are lifting.

I use the foam rollers that are popular for self message and MFR. I strap it to my chest with a large rubber band but you could use anything. A 6" rolller should be similar to a 3 board press depending on how far you let it sink in.

each board in a board press should be 1.5 inches.

Just stick the boards under your shirt, and you should be set, you can add something to tie it around for extra security if you want. The boards should be 2 inches.

NVM i didn’t understand what you were asking at first…

Do pin presses (not the same) or go to home depot and make yourself some boards.

Manpon and carpet presses are also viable options.

best solution I found is to use a stretchy back-warmer to hold the board/s. it holds the boards flat to chest regardless of arch . I’ve only tried this up to 2 bds though , so I cant verify any more than that ; but I see no reason why it wouldnt work with more boards .I tried the “under the shirt” method and tried using knee wraps/safety bar/power rack method ; didnt care for those two .

my boards are 38 mm thick each ; thats 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood screwed together.

thanks guys i have some good ideas now of what to do.

also I totally forgot about the floor press

Rack Lockouts

Set up in a power rack…lower bars so bar is a foot away from your chest…put bench underneath and perform lockouts…great exercise.

-Nick Harding

schultzie as I’m sure you well know, the key of the board press is that the weight is always in your hands and thus radiating thru the arms and torso. Pin presses do not carry this benefit. From a theoretical standpoint you could merely reverse directions when you get to whatever height you determine would be a 2 board or whatever. Unless you are maxing out I’m sure you can work the boards solo. Even a crappy Y must have someone who can spot you

1 board is 1.5 inches (its a 2x4)

I use a knee wrap and strap the board to myself. Setting up the 5-board presses can be a little tricky.

are you using boards to bring up your shirt bench? if not ignore the following…

If so - id only suggest using boards. Because imo the correct form for bringing up your shirt bench is different. You got to drop the weight really fast, really low on the boards, let the weight sink in then practice the throw back over your head at eye level to finish the lockout.

Board presses bring up strength, of course, but they are also a very great technique tool for learning good form on the shirted bench.

Double-loop a miniband around yourself. Slied the board through the band and it will stay in place while you’re on your back.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Double-loop a miniband around yourself. Slied the board through the band and it will stay in place while you’re on your back.[/quote]

+1

[quote]schultzie wrote:
thanks guys i have some good ideas now of what to do.

also I totally forgot about the floor press[/quote]

Floor press is in no way the same as a a board press, unless you bench flat with your feet up. Its still a good movement.

thanks guys.

tape the boards to you, duct tape man, that is the shit.

Or you can wear 2 t-shirts and slip the boards between.

I sometimes use a long piece of webbing with velcro at the ends, if you have enough the strap will be adjustable for several board thicknesses. Just put the strap around your back lay on the bench and strap them to your chest.
I use this so I only need one spotter to hand off and spot.

BTW you cuold make some boards from MDF (mine are similar) glue / tape them together until you have 1 inch, 2 inch and a 3inch thick board. Mine are about 7in x 14in.
You can make whatever thickness you need by cobining those borads, from 1 inch up to 6 inch (i+2+3)

Or you can do what i said earlier