BMI Finally Says I'm Obese

My BMI is 33.7

5’10"
12% BF

[quote]mazilla wrote:
can’t talk, bmi says i am too fat to open my mouth, except to fill it with food. 33%[/quote]

Naw, it’s not a percentage, but a ratio (of weight to height). Don’t get BMI confused with body fat percentage.

It’s definitely not useful for determining your level of physical fitness, but it’s somewhat useful in that you can use it to compare people of different heights.

For example, a 5’6" person with a BMI of 25 will have similar thickness as a 6’3" person with a BMI of 25. This way, if you know someone’s height and weight, you can estimate at what weight someone of a different height would have to be to look similar.

Obviously it’s not going to be completely accurate - to have a similar build you will still need a similar body fat percentage, but it’s still somewhat interesting.

So a 5’8 155lbs person (23.7bmi) is about the same
as a 6’ 175lbs person (23.6bmi)

seems like the smaller would be much thicker, but thats just me.

I think you guys are being a little slow…He’s happy that he finally has enough enough muscle to be obese on the BMI

[quote]jdearl wrote:
LBRTRN wrote:
LOL, I have a 31.1 BMI! I can’t wait to tell my girlfriend I’m obese! That’s too funny…so what idiot decided that a height/weight ratio is a good measure of obesity?

BMI is easy to calculate and for most of the population it works fine. In fact, it worked so well at determining some risk factors that many researchers assumed that weight training was unhealthy.

[/quote]

I think you are wrong. While fewer people have enough muscle to be obese on the BMI without being overfat, I think most people with any appreciable muscle mass whatsoever [it may be minimal] will be overweight according to BMI.

[quote]starkmann wrote:
BMI is BS.I’m in the mid 40s these days. Truth is, I’m a little overweight. I have about 20lbs to lose. The flip side is that the mid 40s says that I should have a gastric bypass. Even when I was lean and just leaving highschool I would have qualified as obese.
I always asked my nutrition teacher about it. She would never answer. It’s tool that was made up to get Joe Fatass off the couch. Didn’t work either.[/quote]

I was always a little overweight according to BMI even as an endurance runner at near 5% bodyfat. Just the way my body is. Hated it at the time. Thought it slowed me and maybe it did. Obviously, I have no problem with it now. I think BMI is a useful tool for sedentary people whose bodies naturally tend toward ectomorphic. That’s about it. Only in such people can BMI give an indication whether they’re carrying too much fat. Ever one else has too much muscle to trust an ‘overweight’ reading.

Haha. Wait until the government declare a war on obesity and everyone here is mandated by law to lower their BMI.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
mike08042 wrote:
BMI says that for someone who is 6ft7 a normal weight is 165-220 pounds. BMI says I am 32.7 Obese. HAHAHAH NOW THATS A SERIOUS LAUGH. I really got to post pics for a further laugh.

Wow…I’d love to see what 6’7 165 would look like.

[/quote]

Check out a soccer player called Peter Crouch - he must be pretty close!

[quote]Rookie21 wrote:
So a 5’8 155lbs person (23.7bmi) is about the same
as a 6’ 175lbs person (23.6bmi)

seems like the smaller would be much thicker, but thats just me.[/quote]

Unless these people are shredded, they would both be stick insects. Maybe one would be less of a stick than the other…

On another note, I’m only overweight. I’m very proud of this, and use it every time somebody brings up the BMI. I ask “how would you rate me?”, to which they invariably reply “you’re athletic”, and then I pause for dramatic effect and say “I…am…overweight”. To top it off I pretend to cry and mumble something about how I hate being fat.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
On another note, I’m only overweight. I’m very proud of this, and use it every time somebody brings up the BMI. I ask “how would you rate me?”, to which they invariably reply “you’re athletic”, and then I pause for dramatic effect and say “I…am…overweight”. To top it off I pretend to cry and mumble something about how I hate being fat.[/quote]

Can’t say that I have never done this…

I’m overweight thank god. To be normal I’d have to be 91kgs at 191cm. That’s not thick by any means.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
mike08042 wrote:
BMI says that for someone who is 6ft7 a normal weight is 165-220 pounds. BMI says I am 32.7 Obese. HAHAHAH NOW THATS A SERIOUS LAUGH. I really got to post pics for a further laugh.

Wow…I’d love to see what 6’7 165 would look like.

[/quote]

It’s called Tayshaun Prince…

BMI is losing ground in the medical professiuon in favour of the hip to waist ratio, which is a much better indication of many factors including cardiac health.

Oh and I’m obese!!!

Good stuff georgeb,

I’m still only overweight myself :frowning:

BMI is like the majority of standardised bench marks for testing body composition on its own no use, It just another standard which is used in a lot of scientifict testing,

BMI makes a lot more sense when used in conjunction with Bf%, Weight, Lean mass/Fat mass ratio.

BMI becomes useful when testing a population under a certain training reigieme we could use it as an endpoint to state if subject has increased or decreased their BMI after the alloted condition.

And on that note my BMI is 27 and I’m over weight…

Damn only 34.1, I better get to eatin

BMI is worthless for athletes, lifters, and physically fit people. That rules out most of us.

5’10
218lbs
BMI = 31

The company I work for likes us to take annual health assessments to keep insurance premiums lower. I just did mine and the nurse that checked me said my BMI was 31. I looked her in the eye and said I think that suggesting I was obese is silly. She then confessed that the BMI is “biased against” athletes but continued to blurt out it needs to be lower. All I could do is shake my head in disbelief. I work in I.T. and I do tend to carry about 15 lbs of desk weight around but based on some quick google-fu, I’d need to be around 174lbs to be “Normal”. Seriously? I weighed more than that when I was an 18yr old lean, mean high school punk that forgot what t-shirts were.

10 years

Time goes so fast