Bmbrady77 Lab Results

Are those half life numbers for the standard release or the extended release? My script is extended release.

I honestly don’t know I just googled metiformin half life. To try and determine how long will I need to take this to be at a steady state. Reaching steady state is pretty important with drugs like AI’s hell that is why so many guys crash their E2. they don’t understand steady state.

1 Like

To see how metformin is doing. I would also monitor a1c and fasting insulin. It takes many weeks to see an affect. ie you may notice no change in glucose yet but your a1c went down

My wife takes it. She takes 750 ER 2x a day

Also I read many studies. Seems like to get the good therapeutic affect you need at least 1 gram

What exactly is the “good therapeutic affect” ?

I remember reading that 1gram is needed. But I just read a study that says low dose 500-750 is effective for non obese people. Basically non diabetic.

Also found this data about steady state

1 Like

Here’s more good stuff

According to the Physician’s Desk Reference , clinically significant responses in Type II diabetics are not seen at doses below 1500 mg a day of metformin. Anti-aging doctors, on the other hand, have recommended doses as low as 500 mg twice a day to healthy non-diabetics who are seeking to obtain metformin’s other proven benefits such as enhancing insulin sensitivity and reducing excess levels of insulin, glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.

It could be the dosage range is highly individualistic in healthy people, meaning some may benefit from 500 mg twice a day, while others may need 1000 mg twice a day for optimal effects. Blood tests to ascertain if the dose of metformin you are taking is improving glucose/insulin metabolism would be:

1. Hemoglobin A1c
  2. Fasting insulin
  3. CBC/Chemistry panel that includes glucose, cholesterol
    triglycerides and indicators of liver and kidney function

https://www.lifeextension.com/Featured%20Articles/2003/8/Metformin%20Dosage/Page%2001

2 Likes

Wow lot of good info here thanks Charlie. I just did bloods for my 6 month trt checkup so I have my baseline lipids before metformin.

@hrdlvn

My report for the last 7 days. Going to keep watching this to see where it lands. I may need to ask Dr Calkins if we should up my dosage.

From what I remember my wife’s number went up initially too. Dr said it’s ok. Her explanation made no sense to me though

1 Like

Did it ever eventually start improving?

Interesting doesn’t look like your prebreakfast has changed any. Still a solid 116 These last 2 were 4 and 5am so do you think this is the dawn effect phenomenon? Mine is 131 at dawn

Very well could be. I have a question that isn’t quite clear though…

I get that PDS will elevate BG prior to waking, to supply the body the energy it needs to get going, but what I don’t know is how long after waking it takes before insulin is secreted and that gets regulated back down to normal levels?

My early morning readings are fairly early, but they are at least an hour to 2 hours after waking. I haven’t been sleeping that well as of late.

Decided to stop taking Magnesium and Melatonin every night for a few weeks and see if that helps my body to start resetting its internal clock. Getting sleep is becoming as hard as tagging a trophy elk.

On the bright side though…

The metformin may be starting to do its thing!! Woohoo! Lol

3 Likes

What does the melatonin do for us? I just started and it puts a haze over my brain before bed. Feels good… doesn’t fix going to sleep if my minds racing. Took two last night and still took forever to sleep. I need to meditate and let go of the world before bed. Ffs it’s not even a guarantee I’m gonna wake up and live the life that Keeps me awake… lolll truth

I was told sleep benefits not the following.

Can treat stomach ulcers, can increase hGH, eye health, anti oxidant.

That’s truth right there!!

It’s really not too complicated. Tryptophan (which we get from proteins) gets converted by a tiny gland (pineal gland) in the deep center of the brain into either Seratonin, or Melatonin. Depending on the stimulus (ie light and thought patterns). Basically, it gets converted to melatonin to help us go to sleep at night and wind down, and to seratonin in the day and active times to give us more alertness and focus.

When you take melatonin all the time, two things can happen.

1. The pineal gland can stop producing it because it’s already getting it exogenously, or
  2. The receptors for melatonin can become less sensitive.

I think I’ve got both going on. It’s a great supplement to take short term when you change time zones, or start night shifts at work, or any time really when your internal clock gets out of whack, it’s just not good to take long term. More of a “get you back on track” thing and then let the body go back to autopilot.

1 Like

Ok thank you glad I asked.

@enackers did you have a hangover the next morning from taking the melatonin?
It seems to stay in my system longer than 8 hours.

My sleep is terrible and has been for a lot of years. I can get over easy enough but keep waking every couple hours. Its frustrating to say the least.

What dose do you take? I’ve heard of that happening with people when they take more than 5mg.