T Nation

Blown Up Belly

I’ve been having problems with blown up belly for years. Despite of 9 % body fat my belly looks rounded. If I squeeze it, abs are well noticeable, but that is not the case in steady state. Are there any special exercises to correct this weakness and make abs flatter? Perhaps core exercises would help?

Thanks for replies.

You may try realizing that every other human on the planet has a stomach that distends to some degree with no muscular tension. In fact, I am sure most humans’ bellies look rounded when not flexed. Post pictures if you want more detailed info because your problem doesn’t seem like much of one.

if you have a really pronounced anterior pelvic tilt that can make your stomach stick out a bit more, so some core exercises and glute strengthening could help that.

Otherwise the good professor hit it on the head I think.

[quote]krneki wrote:
Are there any special exercises to correct this weakness and make abs flatter? [/quote]

Its sometimes referred to as a ‘spilling of the guts’ and its caused by weak transverse abdominus (TA).

You can look up specific exercises for the TA, also correct form with weighted chins/squats/deadlifts will prove adequate.

One more potential area that might need to be looked at is lower back. If it is too tight it is too short. Try to take your time, relax, keep your knees locked an report how far away you are from touching the ground/floor with your fingers tips. I am waiting but my guess is you cannot touch. Your front/back is out of balance. In that case doing abs work is 1 part, stretching your back is the essential part.
Till soon !

good info. It seems like a lot of my issues physically are caused by sitting all day with horrible posture + tight hips/back and weak abs, glutes, and hamstrings. It’s not far fetched lol

browndisaster at my PC i use a secretary chair with back removed it might be a step to better posture, a bench just you cannot rely on back to support you.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
if you have a really pronounced anterior pelvic tilt that can make your stomach stick out a bit more, so some core exercises and glute strengthening could help that.

Otherwise the good professor hit it on the head I think.[/quote]
Which exercises specifically did you have in mind?

[quote]BHappy wrote:
One more potential area that might need to be looked at is lower back. If it is too tight it is too short. Try to take your time, relax, keep your knees locked an report how far away you are from touching the ground/floor with your fingers tips. I am waiting but my guess is you cannot touch. Your front/back is out of balance. In that case doing abs work is 1 part, stretching your back is the essential part.
Till soon ![/quote]
I can touch ground with my whole palms, knees become the limit after that, but not lower back.

Well you can eliminate short back, front/back imbalance.
I would see a doctor to be safe. Touching it is 1 way to eliminate bad stuff for a doctor.

[quote]krneki wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

Otherwise the good professor hit it on the head I think.[/quote]
Which exercises specifically did you have in mind?
[/quote]

there’s loads to choose from. A good start would be planks, bird dogs and glute bridges. A few sets of those every day. Once you get good at those you can move to more advanced variations.

It’s also a good idea to stretch the shit out of your hip flexors too.

Be advised that stuff like this takes a VERY long time to fix, so be patient.

Good luck!

[quote]BHappy wrote:
browndisaster at my PC i use a secretary chair with back removed it might be a step to better posture, a bench just you cannot rely on back to support you.[/quote]
thanks, I’m thinking about getting one of those kneeling type chairs. I had one a few years ago but gave it away when I moved.

“getting one of those kneeling type chairs”
definitely a smart investment.
What we eat beteween xmas and new year is allmost irrelevant.
What we eat between new year and xmas determines our health to a LARGE degree. Repeating good things is a safe way to be happy with the results.

My glutes are prime workers. Each time i do quads works they jump in(off course exception of legs extensions).
You can work all those together: squats, sissy squats, lower back extension(i call them spine erectors), leg press.
All the best !