Bloody shins

Bloody shins and deadlifting go hand in hand. The name of the game is keeping the bar as close to the body as possible. Just think short distance between two points. I do find the bar hits a lot more on conventional deads than sumo and the scrapes on sumo deads are almost on the inside of the leg.
I do not agree with putting socks or knee wraps on to keep the bar from hitting the shins. If the bar is taking a little skin off imagine how much more the bar is going to decelerate when it hits a piece of cloth material. You do not want to slow that bar down at all. This might not affect a lesser lift but if you are going near max weight it could cause a missed lift. The duct tape sounds like a good idea but it has to hurt like a bitch when you pull it off. You can also wrap some cloth tape around the knurling of the bar in the areas which hit your shins. I guess you just have to pick your poison.

IMHO just sack up, take the scrapes and live with the war wounds!!!

If you go to your local Outdoor Pursuits shop, they will probably sell some environmentally friendly chalk substitute which works as well as chalk but doesn’t leave big white clouds every where as it is virtually colourless. It comes in what can only be described as a sock with a knot in the end. I use this stuff all the time and have no friction or grip problems. Its great for chalking your bar, hands, and even your traps when squatting. Hope that helps.

You wouldn’t put chalk on your shins when deadlifting anyway, so the fact that your gym doesn’t allow it is irrelavant. If you use chalk at all, it goes on your hands. Baby powder would work for your shins but it makes just as big of a mess as chalk does and doesn’t always prevent the shins from bleeding.

Try wearing some knee high socks. Bleeding from doing deadlifts may look “cool,” but it’s fucking disgusting. You wouldn’t want someone that you didn’t know bleeding on your bar and neither does anyone else.

i get lovely admiring stares when i do my deads. i am a tall lifter so my mechanics require me to pull against my whole leg. OUCH!!!

big splots of blood cover my chuck taylors and i love it.

i wear them with pride. you could try a bit of vaseline on the shins to prevent the scrapes but just do them anyway.

ALLY

Funniest thing I ever saw in a muscle comic was Ronnie Coleman claiming he always wears tights when he deadlifts. And then right next to that article was a picture of him in like REALLY gay pink tights trying to look mean. I don’t care how big the guy is, it would be my civic duty to make fun of him…

Whats the deal with chalk? Its not going to make a difference in your shins bleeding or not.

I rarely cut my shins and its usually when the bar swings back into me.

Bloody shins? I thought they only did that in magazine photoshoots to make them look like badasses? You know, with the sunglasses, sleeveless plaid lumberjack shirt, cut-off jeans, construction socks and boots! And please, do not put that velcro pad on the bar to protect yours legs! Not only does it look stupid, but it will completely mess up your lifting technique.

Oh, forgot to mention. I wouldn’t bother with the coachking.com. Anyone who’s familiar with Ian King these days know’s that he is no longer passionate about training and coaching. He has become more of a businessman these days and I can bet that coachking.com is only a ploy to get you to purchase his products and to get involved with his Usana “Dream Team”, a multi-level marketing company. The products are of the highest quality, but the business sucks. It is very hard to make any money from it unless you have a very, very large network of associates under you. Someone “famous” like Ian King would have the large recruiting potential because of his other business. Most people do not have this recruiting ability. I looked into joining a while back until I realized that over half of the associates only earned an average of around $800/year. This is with countless hours, travel and money invested. The few at the top can make good money, but they are the extreme minority, of which Ian King is one. Knowing the business tactics of this company and it’s associates, I can almost guarantee that coachking.com is simply one of his marketing techniques. I won’t argue the fact that he is definately a smart businessman.

You can use baby powder on your shins. The signnever said no baby powder. just put a good amount on and rub it in witht he bottom of the bottle so you don’t get it on your hands. getting it on your hands would not be good for your grip.

Stop shaving your legs. Seriously though i have pretty hairy legs and i believe the extra hair reduces the friction between the bar and your leg, just like wearing trousers i suppose. I do get sore shins but never bloody.

Brett