T Nation

Bloodwork Question - Acceptable Deviations

Hi all,

I wanted to see if anyone had information on how far out of range specific values can be before there’s a concern of damage. Specifically: AST/ALT, HDL, and LDL. For example: since steroids are known to affect cholesterol levels negatively, a decrease in HDL and increase in LDL is not unexpected - but how far can they go before it’s dangerous? Same for AST/ALT?

For a specific number, the normal ranges are:
AST (0-40IU/L)
ALT (0-44IU/L)
HDL (>39 mg/dL)
LDL (0-99 mg/dL)

I’m asking this specifically for my numbers, but of course the answer generalizes for others.

I’m at:
AST 46
ALT 61
HDL 13
LDL 126

Thanks!

[quote]powerlifter333 wrote:
Hi all,

I wanted to see if anyone had information on how far out of range specific values can be before there’s a concern of damage. Specifically: AST/ALT, HDL, and LDL. For example: since steroids are known to affect cholesterol levels negatively, a decrease in HDL and increase in LDL is not unexpected - but how far can they go before it’s dangerous? Same for AST/ALT?

AST (0-40IU/L)
ALT (0-44IU/L)
HDL (>39 mg/dL)
LDL (0-99 mg/dL)

I’m asking this specifically for my numbers, but of course the answer generalizes for others.

I’m at:
AST 46
ALT 61
HDL 13
LDL 126

Thanks![/quote]

Youre fine

For future reference, dug around the internet yesterday and the general consensus was the following:

AST: 2-3x normal is concerning, but values can go as high as 1000iu in total failure
ALT: same as AST

Note that an elevation in just ALT and AST is not indicative of liver issues, all liver values should be taken together. So if, for example, bilirubin and albumin are in range, a slightly elevated AST/ALT isn’t concerning.

Cholesterol values: If total cholesterol is high, and individual values are 2x normal, there’s an increased risk of heart disease. Deviations in the 20-50% range and interesting but don’t correspond to greatly increased risk.

You’re fine from a liver perspective. Your values aren’t significantly elevated. When I was younger and ran a methylated oral (epistane) and was completely irresponsible and stupid, I drank excessively several times on cycle and ended up with >3X ast/alt(sgot/sgpt) levels. Within a month of cessation of aas and alcohol use, my liver values were back in range. The liver is an extremely resilient organ and being a few points out of range shouldn’t be a concern.

[quote]powerlifter333 wrote:
Hi all,

AST (0-40IU/L)
ALT (0-44IU/L)
HDL (>39 mg/dL)
LDL (0-99 mg/dL)

I’m at:
AST 46
ALT 61
HDL 13
LDL 126

Thanks![/quote]

good numbers, don’t need to worry. But what was the cycle/ drugs and how much time after the cycle did you take the exam?

I’ve been on much worst scenario after a competition…