Blood Work Results/Told I'm 'Normal'

To begin with, I’m a veteran and get free medical care through the VA so I’m kind of at their mercy. I can however “push the issue” if I need to get a referral or I can get a 2nd opinion from a civilian doctor and go from there. My VA doctor is a woman. I thought I was low Test from talking to a few people and looking at the symptoms but apparently I’m not. The VA mailed me a copy of my results (they don’t check for “everything” so again, I know not everything is here). Do you guys agree with her diagnosis or should I get a 2nd opinion? She said and I quote, “you’re within normal testosterone range and cholesterol is right at the cut off. Switch to a low cholesterol diet and try to lose a little bit of weight.” Forgot to add that I’m 35.

I’ve added the VA’s ranges that are printed on my lab work for reference

Albumin: 4.6 g/dL Range 3.5-5.2
Testosterone Total: 4.7 ng/ml Range 2.8-8.0
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin: 48 nmol/L Range 10-80
Testosterone, Free (calc) 74 pg/L Range 34-194
Test.WK 186 ng/dL Range 84-402
SGOT Serum 20 U/L
SGPT 26 U/L
TSH 2.03 uIU/mL Range 0.27-4.20
Glucose 126 H mg/dL
Urea Nitrogen 14 mg/dL
Sodium 136 mEq/L
Potassium 4.1
Chloride 103 mEq/L
Creatinine 1.10 mg/dL
Creatinine EGFR 76
Cholesterol 216 H mg/dL
Triglycerides 120 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol 32 L mg/dL
LDL 160 H mg/dl

Blood
WBC 4.9
RBC 4.70
HGB 14.5
HCT 41.8
MCV 89.0
MCH 30.9
MCHC 34.7
RDW 12.9
PLT 193
MPV 9.0

I’m sure I added way more than was needed but I’d rather put too much than not enough for you guys. Sorry, I’m sure I didn’t get work done for stuff that was needed but again, this is the VA. I can’t bitch too badly for free medical when there’s guys/gals coming from from Iraq or Afghanistan in way worse shape than me. Thanks gain for any help you can give me.

Do you have ranges to go with those numbers? Those tend to be helpful.

VT: I added the VA’s Ranges for the lab work according to the lab printout I was given.

HDL low: fish oil, high potency vit-B complex vit+minerals, should also have 150mgc or more iodine. Many improve total cholesterol.

TSH=2.0: May be some degree of hypothyroidism. Check how things are functioning by taking waking bod temperature and a few times during the day, record and report back after a few days. Dry skin? Hair falling out? Brittle nails or hair? Feel cold easily?

Iodine: Do you use iodized salt? [sea salt does not contain iodine unless iodized]. Eat much sea food?

Many symptoms of hypothyroidism are common to hypogonadism. One can contribute to the other.

Read the advice for new guys sticky and come back with more data. And we need symptoms.

Also take 4000-6000iu vit-D3 as oil based caps.

Glucose: If this was 12 fasting result - headed for diabetes

How do energy levels vary through the day?
Sleep ok?
How do you react to major stress? Affects you physically?

Hematocrit is getting a little bit low. How much red meat do you eat? Any digestion problems?

Please do not miss any of the above and read that sticky!

Were you fasting? The glucose was high, enough to be classified as diabetic. High blood sugars can make you feel sluggish.

Are you able to exercise any? Your HDL is low and exercise would help with that also.

Do you drink?

Thank you very much the reply KSman. I will definitely post the temperatures in a few days. To answer some of your questions for now, here you go. I answered and/or asked a question beside your original question:

HDL low: fish oil, high potency vit-B complex vit+minerals, should also have 150mgc or more iodine. Many improve total cholesterol. I started taking 6 tablets of Fish Oil a day starting a week ago. Not sure if it’s high potency though. It’s Nature Good brand. I don’t take the vit-B complex but bought Centrum Multivitamins at the store on Wednesday. The pharmacist at Safeway said they were the best. I take it that won’t cut it for vit-B though? If you can recommend a brand that’d be awesome.

TSH=2.0: May be some degree of hypothyroidism. Check how things are functioning by taking waking bod temperature and a few times during the day, record and report back after a few days. Dry skin? Hair falling out? Brittle nails or hair? Feel cold easily?
Dry skin yes, especially face and scalp and I use a dandruff shampoo. Hair falling out; yes, mild receding hairline within past few months. I also have mild scalp acne. Cold easily, yes.

Iodine: Do you use iodized salt? [sea salt does not contain iodine unless iodized]. Eat much sea food? I very rarely add salt to anything but my diet has sucked for awhile. Way too much fast food. Very little sea food except for the occasional can of tuna.

Many symptoms of hypothyroidism are common to hypogonadism. One can contribute to the other.

Read the advice for new guys sticky and come back with more data. And we need symptoms.

Also take 4000-6000iu vit-D3 as oil based caps. Been doing this for a month. I take (4) 2,400IU of Vit D3 a day. Split up 2 in am, 2 in pm. They are softgels in (According to ingredients) pure olive oil (fruit), gelatin, glycerin, purified water. Good Vit D3 choice or should I find a new brand?

Glucose: If this was 12 fasting result - headed for diabetes Yes, was 12 hour fasting. Was probably closer to 14 hours fasting but I did drink a Starbucks soy white mocha on the way to the clinic. It’s a 45 minute drive. I asked the RN before doing so and she said it would be fine, just not food.

How do energy levels vary through the day? My energy is a fricken roller coaster. I get tired as hell about 4-5pm and I could’ve slept 10 hours the night before. I have one cup of coffee in the am with 2 teaspoons of sugar and some cinammon. Occasionally I’ll have a Starbucks white mocha for a pick me up for No Fear energy drink.
Sleep ok? Terrible but I’m on meds from the VA to help with sleep. 1mg of Xanax before bed. I also usually take some melatonin before bed or I just lie away or don’t get tired at all. I usually wake up a few times in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.

How do you react to major stress? Affects you physically? I get edgy and sometimes my chest gets tight like that really bad anxiety feeling but I don’t get violent or want to throw things. I just get moody become a prick for a better choice of words. I take wellbutrin and effexor for depression from the VA but it isn’t really helping.

Hematocrit is getting a little bit low. How much red meat do you eat? Any digestion problems? I don’t eat much red meat. Mostly chicken and hamburger.

Digestion is a crap shoot and I mean that literally. I did a charcoal test that I read on here from John Meadows and it took over 24 hours for my stool to turn black. I’ve started taking Vitamin C (2g/day), Glutamine (7g/day) and I take a good probiotic daily that he recommended.

I definitely have the “Buddha Belly” for fat storage.

Symptoms and what not according to the sticky:

-Definitely have the “not wanting to go out” syndrome. I’d much rather stay in.
-Brain fog, yes sometimes. I used to be sharp and know everything from the top of my head. Now I literally struggle at times.
-low libido, hot women don’t seem so hot anymore. I’m not dating or married.
-morning wood off and on. Somedays yes, somedays no.
-joints ache. Especially hip and wrists.
-zero motivation or reward. I “want” to do stuff just not motivated or care enough to do it.
-Nocturnal erections- these have increased from zero to a few times a week probably over the pat 6 weeks.
-I ALWAYS wake up stuffy and sneeze a few times. This used to never happen.
-I have a 6 year old boy I get most weekends and sometimes more than that and I honestly have zero energy/motivation most days or if I do it only lasts and hour or two and I want to be a better dad for him.

thank you again for all the help & advice everyone.

[quote]dunnwes wrote:
Were you fasting? The glucose was high, enough to be classified as diabetic. High blood sugars can make you feel sluggish.

Are you able to exercise any? Your HDL is low and exercise would help with that also.

Do you drink?

[/quote] Yes, over 12 hours but had Starbucks on the way to the blood draw. Not sure if that would effect it. I was told I could drink it, just no food.

I can exercise, just finding the motivation. The past 2 weeks I’ve started working out more consistently because I’d like to have confidence again and get back into dating and be a good example for my boy.

I very rarely drink. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Never been a drinker.

[quote]SureShot wrote:

[quote]dunnwes wrote:

Do you drink?

[/quote] Yes, over 12 hours but had Starbucks on the way to the blood draw. Not sure if that would effect it. I was told I could drink it, just no food.

I can exercise, just finding the motivation. The past 2 weeks I’ve started working out more consistently because I’d like to have confidence again and get back into dating and be a good example for my boy.

[/quote]
Wow…

Calories 440 Calories from Fat 150
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 10g 50%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 50mg 17%
Sodium 260mg 11%
Total Carbohydrate 69g 24%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 67g
Protein 5g

White Chocolate Mocha. Couldn’t find the soy Version.

Your glucose test was skewed, DO NOT let them administer any kind of treatment based on that. You require a true 12 hour fast with nothing But water.

Did you tell the nurse your were having just coffee? She might have assumed it was black and nothing else.

Good luck.

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[quote]SureShot wrote:

[quote]dunnwes wrote:

Do you drink?

[/quote]
Wow…

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 10g 50%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 50mg 17%
Sodium 260mg 11%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 67g
Protein 5g

Your glucose test was skewed, DO NOT let them administer any kind of treatment based on that. You require a true 12 hour fast with nothing But water.

Did you tell the nurse your were having just coffee? She might have assumed it was black and nothing else.

Good luck. [/quote]

How much skewed do you think? “High” is 100.
I called the VA and rescheduled a glucose test a little bit ago. The RN said this time I DO NOT need to fast since we’re not doing a full test like before, just glucose so now I’m confused? I called my friend who is a nurse and she said I need to fast 10-12 hours with only H20 so that’s what I’ll do. Different RN I talked to today at the VA. Today’s RN said to wait a few weeks before getting my blood drawn (last draw was April 1st) and alter my diet (less sugar) and workout and we’ll go from there. No treatment or anything like is planned from the first results. And yes, the first nurse did know it was a white mocha. She said as long as it isn’t solid food I’m fine so “don’t get a donut or anything with the drink” is what I was told. I’m telling you, VA/military medicine is out to wack.

Ok so the high end is 100, and you rang in at 126.

I bet you’d be in the normal range if purely fasted for 12 hours with just water. Cleaner diet and exercise will just drop that number deeper in the normals which is what you want.

[quote]SureShot wrote:
I called the VA and rescheduled a glucose test a little bit ago. The RN said this time I DO NOT need to fast since we’re not doing a full test like before, just glucose… And yes, the first nurse did know it was a white mocha. She said as long as it isn’t solid food I’m fine so “don’t get a donut or anything with the drink” is what I was told. I’m telling you, VA/military medicine is out to wack. [/quote]

Candidate for the “Dumb Things Doctors Do and Say” thread.

Xanax is poison!!! Ask to try trazodone as a sleep aid. Get Rx for 150mg, breaks to 50 or 75mg. Start with 50mg. You may have to taper of of Xanax.

Stop putting so much sugar in your coffee. Don’t confuse coffee drinks with dessert.

You need fasting glucose. What is difficult about understanding that?

You are iodine deficient. Get those temps ;]

Why ask us, ask google: high potency b complex iodine - Google Search

[quote]KSman wrote:
Xanax is poison!!! Ask to try trazodone as a sleep aid. Get Rx for 150mg, breaks to 50 or 75mg. Start with 50mg. You may have to taper of of Xanax.

Stop putting so much sugar in your coffee. Don’t confuse coffee drinks with dessert.

You need fasting glucose. What is difficult about understanding that?

You are iodine deficient. Get those temps ;]

Why ask us, ask google: high potency b complex iodine - Google Search

[/quote]

I actually work at a mental health facility and they give some of the patients trazodone. Knocks them out cold. I will ask my ARNP if I can get it instead of the xanax. Is it the whole Benzo class you dislike or just xanax because my ARNP gives me Klonipin for anxiety as a PRN but I don’t it very much. He also put me on Methylphenidate a few months ago (Ritalin) for ADHD because of my lack of motivation and lethargy. I don’t notice any difference except I’m happy for about a half hour after I take it.

So, my T-levels look fine to you? Not sure it matters to you but I see a ARNP for the mental side of stuff and a doctor for everything else. I was on Ambien for awhile but that shit is toxic. I was waking up sleep walking, eating in the middle of the night and not even remembering it, texting folks at 3am and having no idea until the next day when I’d look at my phone and be like wtf?

Going to order that B-complex now and will wait for what iodine supplement to buy after I get you the temps. Unless you tell differently I’ll just get the one that was on the Google link. Thanks again for all the help. Even if this was all a skewed, even thinking that I could be remotely close to diabetes is a shell shock and I know I need to make some serious lifestyle changes.

Many of the brain meds create a lot of problems with maladaptive of brain functions, many which are very much an addictive response. If these do no not kill people out-right, then they are FDA safe.

Best to first look at hormonal imbalances and first try to ID and address causes, then hormone replacement if needed. Restoring optimal or youthful levels of hormones is not putting foreign chemicals in your body. Some may be needed to maintain other balances from age related response or other aspects.

Sleep hygiene is very important and so are diet/supplements. What you need to consider is vastly greater than one expects.

We are here to help you and others, but you have a lot of work to do and we are always glad to kick ass in the right direction.

Your workplace is exposing you to a lot of cavalier prescriptions. You need to resist that influence.

Temperatures as requested by KSman. All taken with digital thermometer bought at store and done axillary.

Thursday 5pm 97.5
10pm 97.2

Friday Upon Waking- 96.9
12pm 97.1
5pm 97.5
10pm 97.4

Saturday Upon Waking- 97.0
12pm 97.4
4pm 97.5

Thank you for everyone who has given me advice and insight. Please let me know what path I should take from here. I have ordered B-Complex and will order an Iodine supplement if you feel I should. If you have any recommended daily dosage for the B-complex and/or Iodine supplement please let me know. If not I will assume to just what is recommended on the product’s label. Any other advice on what to do/not to do I’m all ears. You won’t offend me so give it to me straight. KSman has already opened my eyes big time as well as stuff I’ve read in other threads by some very knowledgeable guys like VTBalla.

I just use the B-Complex as indicated and that seems to do the job. For Iodine, I take 12.5 mg/day of Ioddoral, which is also the label recommended dose. I think this is pretty standard.

Of note, my B-Complex doesn’t have a whole lot of B-12 in it, so I supplement an extra 1,000 mcg/day on top of that.

Your temps are a bit on the low side, but seem to be pretty consistent (within +/- .3 of the average). I can’t remember what this indicates, but I THINK it means your cortisol is in order and your thyroid just needs some boosting. Pure Chance is better up to speed on that, I think.

[quote]SureShot wrote:

[quote]Darkane wrote:

[quote]SureShot wrote:

[quote]dunnwes wrote:

Do you drink?

[/quote]
Wow…

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 10g 50%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 50mg 17%
Sodium 260mg 11%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 67g
Protein 5g

Good luck. [/quote]

How much skewed do you think? “High” is 100.
I called the VA and rescheduled a glucose test a little bit ago. The RN said this time I DO NOT need to fast since we’re not doing a full test like before, just glucose so now I’m confused? I called my friend who is a nurse and she said I need to fast 10-12 hours with only H20 so that’s what I’ll do. Different RN I talked to today at the VA. Today’s RN said to wait a few weeks before getting my blood drawn (last draw was April 1st) and alter my diet (less sugar) and workout and we’ll go from there. No treatment or anything like is planned from the first results. And yes, the first nurse did know it was a white mocha. She said as long as it isn’t solid food I’m fine so “don’t get a donut or anything with the drink” is what I was told. I’m telling you, VA/military medicine is out to wack. [/quote]

I know how you feel. I go through the VA for treatment as well. they are good for some things…not so much for others.

have you checked out these thyroid/cortisol related sites?

drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-temperature-graph

I had to take 12.5mg Tri-Iodine for a month to get my Iodine levels up.